Has anyone ever tried Beats Studios with an amp?
Sep 3, 2011 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

FasterX

Head-Fier
Being that they have very high impendence, I don't see why an amp couldn't be used on them.

Does it improve the sound quality at all?

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 50
Not tried it myself.. I don't see why not.

My friends cousin had 3 pairs of solo's (not sure if they were hd, prob not) and 1 pair of studio.

Yes he is an idiot lol...

But I listened to them and they're about 5 times worse than the studios, which are pretty bad, and especially at their price tag and the noise cancelling is just a complete waste of batteries...

When I plugged them into my Fiio E5, the sound became warmer, with thumping bass and criper highs and detailed mids... They actually sounded half decent... But I never got around to amping the Studios, but I guess it should help, but as it's active noice cancelled, I'm not sure if or how this will affect things, but it may not...

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #3 of 50
Yea, they benefit from amping. All headphones do. 
Maybe a beats studio user here share experiences.  

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 50

Quote:
Yea, they benefit from amping. All headphones do. 
Maybe a beats studio user here share experiences.  

Isn't the Studio already amped? Wouldn't that be double amping?

Sep 3, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 50

Quote:

Isn't the Studio already amped? Wouldn't that be double amping?

You're right. I totally forgot that.  

Funny thing is that a friend was using a headamp with them. :p

Sep 3, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 50
So whats wrong with double amping them?

If they have amps in them... they suck.

Sep 3, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 50
They already have their own proprietary amp, and you would be double amping, but..

A good friend of mine bought a red pair of beats studios recently for a pretty good deal of 160usd.  I'll try to get him to let me borrow them, and I'll do a review on them unamped vs amped through hrt msii and ldmkii, and perhaps compare them to other popular competitors like M50 and D2000.  I had another listen to those beats studios a couple hours ago, and right away I noticed a very 'in your head' and cramped soundstage with bad timbre reproduction compared to the D2000 sound I was used to.  I also noticed that even with a bass boost, they're still nowhere near as potent as the D2000 in the real low end (like 20-40hz low)  But their midbass has the ability to move more air and vibrate on your ears far better than the D2000 when you boost their bass and listen at high volumes.  D2000 vibrates too, but not as much (mainly due to the type of seal the Beats have and the fact that their pads are supra-aural rather than cirumaural I think-- D2000s vibrate, but the pads are around your ear, so it's not so direct)  

Maybe we'll see if they sound better when amped.  :)

Sep 3, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #10 of 50

Quote:
I think it would do about as much as the spoiler is doing for this car...

Good point, lol.

Let us know your experience Raven. 

Sep 4, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #11 of 50
Yes. I tried amping them with my Harman Kardon HK430 and the bass tightened up with less recessed mids. But it is double amping, so I really have no idea why it actually improves the sound. In theory, isn't the extra amp just degrading the signal of the less than ideal sound the Studios have? I kinda like the end result for mid-bass focused dubstep though. Amping doesn't help the terrible extension.

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #12 of 50
this thread really took a turn for the better

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #15 of 50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back