Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Nov 6, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #3,602 of 4,588
I’ve had my Mimby for about a week now, leaving it on 24/7 except when I unplug it to try it in a different room. It sounds great playing through speakers, but still pretty harsh and fatiguing when I listen through headphones, especially using USB as a source. Based on what I’m reading here, others have had a similar experience: Those using a coaxial source and listening through speakers seem to love the Mimby, but those using the USB input often find it sub-par, perhaps especially when listening through headphones

Unfortunately the whole reason I bought it was to use as a USB DAC for headphone listening. Specifically, I want to play Tidal from my iPhone into my Vali 2 feeding my Open Alpha headphones (DIY Alpha Dogs based on mrSpeakers plans). Occasionally I would connect it to a Raspberry Pi or a laptop, but usually to the iPhone. It would be taking the place of a Dragonfly Red (which actually pairs really well with the Vali 2).

If I’m primarily using an iPhone as the source, should I just send the Mimby back and look elsewhere? Would an AQ Jitterbug make a significant difference? It’s really hard for me to see spending another $100-$200 on a USB-to-coaxial converter or USB power supply. If it takes that kind of additional cost and complexity to make it sound good with USB, shouldn’t I be looking for a different DAC? I was really excited to have a nice neat Schiit stack, but if I’m spending that much, should I be looking at a Mojo instead? Or one of those Chinese XMOS DACs and a better tube for the Vali 2? I’m looking for a DAC that is a noticeable step up from the Dragonfly Red, but I’m going for an enjoyable, non-fatiguing presentation, not analytical and super-revealing.
(I apologize if this has been asked before. I read the most recent 600 or so posts in this thread, but with only a 15 day return period, I’m running out of time to make a decision.)
+1Eitr. Significant difference in sound. Relatively minor cost to get such a significant upgrade in sound and keep a neat small stack. My understanding is that gen 5 will not fit in the mimby box.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #3,603 of 4,588
I assume Mimby will be updated with USB5 in the future?
A few pages back Mike Moffat said something along the lines of 'nope'. I could be wrong, but I believe that there was no way to fit the USB5 interface into the Modi chasis.

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #3,604 of 4,588
Mimby is meant to be a bait to go up the food chain, mostly an appetizer to burrito goodness so providing a Gen5 Mimby would be madness. You can still pimp it with a bigger wallwart and a clean 5V USB PSU :L3000:

Nov 6, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #3,605 of 4,588
I'm certainly no fanboy and I thought Modi1 & Vali sounded horrendous, stock Mimby was also too bright but with a bigger wallwart and a clean 5V PSU Mimby is amazing. It's meant to be a cheaper Bimby so provide it with bigger/cleaner PSU's and bang/bucks will go up through the roof IME.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #3,606 of 4,588
I'm certainly no fanboy and I thought Modi1 & Vali sounded horrendous, stock Mimby was also too bright but with a bigger wallwart and a clean 5V PSU Mimby is amazing. It's meant to be a cheaper Bimby so provide it with bigger/cleaner PSU's and bang/bucks will go up through the roof IME.
How can you feed it with a 5V PSU? It uses like 15VAC? Did you open it up and bypass the internal PSU or something?

Nov 7, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #3,610 of 4,588
How can you feed it with a 5V PSU? It uses like 15VAC? Did you open it up and bypass the internal PSU or something?
Cleaner power for the USB receiver, I think that he meant.

Nov 7, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #3,612 of 4,588
There are many ways to inject a clean USB PSU straight into Mimby, here's one: http://grizzlyaudio.blogspot.com/2015/08/diy-solid-core-audio-usb-cable-with.html

It's using the computer noisy 5V so pretty much anything will be better, sonic improvement will be readily audible and same goes for a beefier 16VAC wallwart.

would the Floor Wart be considered a bigger wall wart?

Not sure, I run a 2A 0.5kg wallwart and it sounds much thicker than the 0.5A stock one.

A friend of mine went completely overboard and got a 1.5kg one meant for model railway systems, he loves it very very much.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #3,613 of 4,588
I’m thrilled with my Mimby. On the Nils Lofgren track on the Salk demo CD, it sounds like I can reach out and touch the guitar. The Mimby is my first DAC purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back