Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Dec 16, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #3,631 of 4,588
I owned the Chord 2 qute and felt both the Gumby and Yggy were better . I just received the MODI MB and have to say after limited listening that it is easily the best dac ive heard under 500 and maybe up to 1K . I have not heard the Bifrost MB

I have Bifrost MB and Modi MB, both sound identical in my opinion. In fact I just bought another Modi MB (and a Loki).

Dec 23, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #3,632 of 4,588
How does Magni3 compares to his bigger bro Vali2 & Asgard2?
From the spec. Magni3 output more power than his two bigger bro.

I want to use it with HD6xx or the HD58x and also act as a volume control for my powered speakers.

Dec 31, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #3,634 of 4,588
Well curiosity got the best of me earlier this week on 2 fronts. First, I decided to explore on-line music streaming by getting Spotify ($0.99 per month for the first 3 months). Second, I temporarily moved my Modi MB down to my Home Theatre setup.

So I'm running Spotify via my MacBook Pro's USB output into the Mimby, then analog out of the Mimby into an analog input on my Pioneer Elite receiver. Although Spotify isn't true Hi-Rez I must say it sounds very good over the Home Theatre speaker setup. With the Modi MB and the Receiver set to DIRECT (no Pioneer processing) 2 channel music sounds incredibly spacious and detailed. In fact I had to verify that I hadn't mistakenly switched the Receiver's setting to surround because it sounded so enveloping. Switching the Receiver to it's processing mode to enable surround was very good as well.

Next, I ran a fibre optic cable from the satellite receiver into the Mimby and listened to the Pioneer Elite as 2 channel DIRECT, as well as, surround and there was a huge improvement in clarity and detail when watching TV. The original connection was via HDMI out of the satellite receiver into the Pioneer Elite.

The improvement in sound for TV watching is so evident that I don't think we can remove the Modi MB from this setup. Looks like I will need to consider adding another Modi MB to my order when I purchase a Loki later in December.

Just an update since my original post (above)...my Modi MB hasn't left the home theatre setup because it has elevated the sound of this system so much. I purchased and installed another Mimby to replace the aforementioned one for my bedroom system (FiiO X5ii>Mimby>Project Ember>HD6XX).

Jan 1, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #3,638 of 4,588
Hey guys with what amp are you using the mimby with?

It was intended to be used with a Gustard H10 but it ended up in the speaker system with a Denon AVR-X4200W.

Jan 17, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #3,642 of 4,588
Does anyone else have the following going on with the MOdi MB:

Occasionally I must turn off and back on the Modi MB because there is ringing, distortion. I leave it on all the time.

I have an Eitr connected to my Mac , Modi,MB connected to Jotty.

Jan 17, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #3,643 of 4,588

Occasionally I must turn off and back on the Modi MB because there is ringing, distortion. I leave it on all the time.

Yes I do notice this on my Mimby which is connected to my home theatre setup, a distinct ringing effect in the background. I too leave my Mimbys on all the time. When this happens I simply turn off the Mimby for 10 or so seconds and turn it back on again. That does clear this up, until the random next time.

Incidentally I never noticed the ringing when I had this Mimby on my bedside setup for over a year. It only became evident when it was moved to the HT setup.

Jan 17, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #3,644 of 4,588

I had the same thing happen on occasion when I was using my old Windows laptop. I’ve been using a Mac for a few months and it hasn’t occurred since then, though that may be coincidence. I also leave it on all the time.

Jan 17, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #3,645 of 4,588
I have a release day Mimby and it has been running 24/7 since, except for a few days when I was out of town and when I moved. I have never had the ringing issue with mine. I've read other people experiencing it a while back though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back