Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Nov 30, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #3,616 of 4,588
Well curiosity got the best of me earlier this week on 2 fronts. First, I decided to explore on-line music streaming by getting Spotify ($0.99 per month for the first 3 months). Second, I temporarily moved my Modi MB down to my Home Theatre setup.

So I'm running Spotify via my MacBook Pro's USB output into the Mimby, then analog out of the Mimby into an analog input on my Pioneer Elite receiver. Although Spotify isn't true Hi-Rez I must say it sounds very good over the Home Theatre speaker setup. With the Modi MB and the Receiver set to DIRECT (no Pioneer processing) 2 channel music sounds incredibly spacious and detailed. In fact I had to verify that I hadn't mistakenly switched the Receiver's setting to surround because it sounded so enveloping. Switching the Receiver to it's processing mode to enable surround was very good as well.

Next, I ran a fibre optic cable from the satellite receiver into the Mimby and listened to the Pioneer Elite as 2 channel DIRECT, as well as, surround and there was a huge improvement in clarity and detail when watching TV. The original connection was via HDMI out of the satellite receiver into the Pioneer Elite.

The improvement in sound for TV watching is so evident that I don't think we can remove the Modi MB from this setup. Looks like I will need to consider adding another Modi MB to my order when I purchase a Loki later in December.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #3,617 of 4,588
Has anyone else noticed that the Momby compresses music in a tube-like way, at least compared to the ODAC? I've never read it described this way, but I am 100% certain that's what's happening (along with other differences, but to me that's the big one). This can be either very good or very bad depending on what you like, but to me this is a bad thing.

After switching from the ODAC to Momby and using it exclusively for a month, switching back to the ODAC was like a breath of fresh air, which I did not expect. Everything was so wide and extended and clear all of a sudden. Momby sound was comparatively packed in tightly.

I replaced the ODAC with the Momby in the first place because I thought the ODAC sounded too harsh on my Stax rig. The Momby's softer presentation was an immediate improvement. However, I later added the Magni 3, and I began running either DAC -> Magni 3 preamp output -> Stax 727a amp (with the Magni at 100% volume on low gain). Now I actually prefer the ODAC to the Momby, set up this way. Running the ODAC directly to the Stax was obviously problematic in some way I don't understand, and I wrongly guessed the problem was the DAC sound quality itself. Whatever the problem was, the Magni fixed it better than the Momby did :)

I do miss the looks of the Schiit stack (my amp is a Magni 3) and I've already ordered a Modi 2, which hopefully will get me a more similar presentation to the ODAC. For reference, I listen to EDM (flac, 320kbps mp3, occasionally streaming via the Soundcloud app) and my headphones include the Alpha Prime, HE500, and Stax Lambda (with a SRM-727a amp).

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #3,618 of 4,588
I hope I didn't come off sounding like I hated the Multibit, because I definitely didn't. Even though it's not my favorite kind of sound sig, I gotta say the MB/Hifiman HE500 is a truly magical pairing. It's like the HE500 was made for this stack, they don't sound nearly as sweet with the ODAC. I didn't even realize it until I sold the Momby.

In fact, until just now I never consciously realized why I kept reaching for the HE500 the whole time I had the Modibit. I wondered why I had stopped using my previous favorites (Mr. Speakers Alpha Prime and Stax Lambda) but never put my finger on it. Those pairs sounded great too, but just ordinary-great, not magical-great.

The ODAC has it's own kind of magic too of course. But I guess I had to sell my first Mimby before I could see how much I miss it now that it's gone.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #3,619 of 4,588
I hope I didn't come off sounding like I hated the Multibit, because I definitely didn't. Even though it's not my favorite kind of sound sig, I gotta say the MB/Hifiman HE500 is a truly magical pairing. It's like the HE500 was made for this stack, and they don't sound nearly as sweet with the ODAC. I didn't even realize it until I sold the Momby.

In fact, until just now I never consciously realized why I kept reaching for the HE500 the whole time I had the Modibit. I wondered why I had stopped using my previous favorites (Mr. Speakers Alpha Prime and Stax Lambda) but never put my finger on it. Those pairs sounded great too, but just ordinary-great, not magical-great.

The ODAC has it's own kind of magic too of course. But I guess I had to sell my first Mimby before I could see how much I miss it now that it's gone.

I love my HE500's with Bimby/Jotunheim.

Dec 15, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #3,620 of 4,588
@DJ The Rocket

I used to own the Modi Multibit and JDS Labs OL DAC (improved version of ODAC) and think the Modi Multibit is easily better. I did not experience the issues you described in this context.

They both sound great, at any rate. I primarily used them with speakers.

I did, however, notice the more "tubey" presentation of the Modi Multibit when I compared it to the Chord 2Qute. (The best DAC I've owned so far.)

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #3,622 of 4,588
@DJ The Rocket

I used to own the Modi Multibit and JDS Labs OL DAC (improved version of ODAC) and think the Modi Multibit is easily better. I did not experience the issues you described in this context.

They both sound great, at any rate. I primarily used them with speakers.

I did, however, notice the more "tubey" presentation of the Modi Multibit when I compared it to the Chord 2Qute. (The best DAC I've owned so far.)
I owned the Chord 2 qute and felt both the Gumby and Yggy were better . I just received the MODI MB and have to say after limited listening that it is easily the best dac ive heard under 500 and maybe up to 1K . I have not heard the Bifrost MB

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #3,623 of 4,588
@DJ The Rocket

I used to own the Modi Multibit and JDS Labs OL DAC (improved version of ODAC) and think the Modi Multibit is easily better. I did not experience the issues you described in this context...

The tubey presentation IS the "issue" I was talking about! But I didn't mean to imply a value judgement there.

The Momby is not transparent, it's probably the most colored DAC I've ever heard. That isn't a good thing or a bad thing, it's just a thing that some people will love and some won't. I generally don't. I'm looking instead for a one-DAC solution at this point, and that means I need something transparent. Colored source equipment will always be hit-and-miss with regard to synergizing with the rest of your gear. That's just the nature of coloration in audio.

I absolutely adored the synergy between the Modibit and Hifiman HE500, I don't think I touched my Alpha Primes or my Stax rig for a month, I was enjoying it so much. I honestly wouldn't laugh if someone called the Momby/500 an "endgame" combo, I really thought it was that good. So that's squarely in the "hit" category. Unfortunately, everything else I tried was a "miss." That probably says as much about my tastes in headphones as it does against the Mimdac, but it is what it is. The ODAC simply works better for my tastes and my equipment.

Someday I'd like to budget enough to keep a Mo-bit/500 combo around as a specialty rig. For now though, I have other priorities.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #3,624 of 4,588
The tubey presentation IS the "issue" I was talking about! But I didn't mean to imply a value judgement there. The Momby is not transparent, it's probably the most colored DAC I've ever heard. That isn't a good thing or a bad thing, it's just a thing that some people will love and some won't, like how I loved it some times but not others.

I absolutely adored the synergy between the Modibit and Hifiman HE500, I don't think I touched my Alpha Primes or my Stax rig for a month, I was enjoying it so much. I honestly wouldn't laugh if someone called the Momby/500 an "endgame" combo, I really thought it was that good. But my "endgame" plan calls for a one-DAC solution at this point. That means I need something transparent, since colored source equipment will always be hit-and-miss with regard to synergy with the rest of your gear. That's just the nature of the beast.

Someday I'd like to budget enough to keep a Mo-bit/500 combo around as a specialty rig. For now though, I just have other priorities.
Its all about system matching. If you feel the Modi MB is tubey , use a transparent amp with headphones that have a treble emphasis. I don't find the Modi MB tubey but then again I am using Grado's right now with it which have a treble emphasis. Using the Modi MB
with a warm sounding pair of headphones may not be the best for you.

Dec 16, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #3,625 of 4,588
This dac is better than the Chord Mojo , which is great but offers a less accurate sound imo.

My impressions are the opposite. The Mojo sounds better to me personally. (I owned the Mojo and Modi Multibit twice.)

In which ways do you think it's less accurate?

By the way, as far as technical, measured performance goes, Chord is far ahead: thousands of times more precise timing accuracy, trillions of times more advanced noise shaping, zero noise floor modulation and jitter (unlike all other DACs), much lower distortion, higher dynamic range, etc. I'd like to see proof of the Mojo being less accurate, because I don't see it in the specs and measurements.

I owned the Chord 2 qute and felt both the Gumby and Yggy were better .

Haven't heard any of Schiit's higher-end multibit DACs, but there are plenty who prefer the 2Qute over them.

The tubey presentation IS the "issue" I was talking about!

You mentioned other aspects, like lacking clarity, sounding too closed-in, etc.

The Momby is not transparent, it's probably the most colored DAC I've ever heard.

It was very obvious to me that the Modi Multibit is quite colored compared to the 2Qute, but I also think it's a lot better than cheaper DACs. I suppose this is rather subjective in the end.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #3,626 of 4,588
My impressions are the opposite. The Mojo sounds better to me personally. (I owned the Mojo and Modi Multibit twice.)

In which ways do you think it's less accurate?

By the way, as far as technical, measured performance goes, Chord is far ahead: thousands of times more precise timing accuracy, trillions of times more advanced noise shaping, zero noise floor modulation and jitter (unlike all other DACs), much lower distortion, higher dynamic range, etc. I'd like to see proof of the Mojo being less accurate, because I don't see it in the specs and measurements.

Haven't heard any of Schiit's higher-end multibit DACs, but there are plenty who prefer the 2Qute over them.

You mentioned other aspects, like lacking clarity, sounding too closed-in, etc.

It was very obvious to me that the Modi Multibit is quite colored compared to the 2Qute, but I also think it's a lot better than cheaper DACs. I suppose this is rather subjective in the end.
The 2qute is 6 times the price but yes the 2qute is a better dac.

The Mojo has a warm sound to it that I would characterize as coloration compared to the 2 Qute which I owned at one time.

The Yggy destroys the 2qute.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #3,627 of 4,588
The Mojo has a warm sound to it that I would characterize as coloration compared to the 2 Qute which I owned at one time.

Well, I'd agree that the 2Qute is better, and it better be at that price. But we're talking about Mojo vs Modi Multibit here. In which ways does the latter sound more accurate to you? (Just curious.) Which aspects of the design do you think would account for this?

I mentioned how it has zero noise floor modulation. This can make the sound come off as warmer and smoother since it doesn't have the small bursts of noise that can make some other DACs sound a bit more harsh, rough, bright, lean, etc. at times. It also has a battery, which can certainly color the sound compared to a proper power supply. So there are many parts to this equation.

Dec 16, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #3,628 of 4,588
Well, I'd agree that the 2Qute is better, and it better be at that price. But we're talking about Mojo vs Modi Multibit here. In which ways does the latter sound more accurate to you? (Just curious.) Which aspects of the design do you think would account for this?

I mentioned how it has zero noise floor modulation. This can make the sound come off as warmer and smoother since it doesn't have the small bursts of noise that can make some other DACs sound a bit more harsh, rough, bright, lean, etc. at times. It also has a battery, which can certainly color the sound compared to a proper power supply. So there are many parts to this equation.
Well there is a thread
Chord Mojo or Schiit Multibit.

I see you have posted there. The first several comments from other posters regarding the Modi MB vs the Chord Mojo mirror my sentiments. Best wishes

Dec 16, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #3,630 of 4,588
No need to write in giant letters. I can read the default text just fine.

So what do you think accounts for this in a technical, measurable sense?
I could care less about technical measurements. I hear what I hear . The Yggy probably has poorer measurements than the 2qute and even John Atlkinson over at Stereophile
called it obsolete . My ears after listening to both with the SAME equipment with volume matching told me the YGGY sounded considerably better than the 2Qute in all audiophile facets.

I sold the 2 qute and it is a very fine dac. I even preferred the MB Gungnir over the 2qute though that was somewhat close. The 2qute was better than the DS Gungnir imo.

Ive listened to a lot of dacs and I don't find the Modi MB "Tubey" using it with a Jotenheim. Of course maybe it would sound "tubey" with a pair of Sennhieser HD650's . I'll borrow my sons pair and listen.

I completely agree with one poster over at the Chord Mojo or Schiit MB thread who said the Modi MB sounded more like live music than the Chord Mojo.

I still have my Chord Mojo and use it when traveling quite a bit .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back