Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Feb 16, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #4,576 of 4,588
I think it is source dependent I have not had a noise issue coming from my MBP via USB however my friend has on his XPS but has since bought a newer version with Unison problem solved.

Mar 9, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #4,577 of 4,588
I had the same issue with headphone, I like D5200, thinking D9200 would be an upgrade only to find out it changes the tonal balance.

So often I find when you upgrade things are just "different".

Though Mimby is known to not have good usb implementation. Are you using usb or coax or spdif?

I had a Mimby and sold it, if they ever come out with unison usb Mimby then I'll be very tempted to buy it again lol.

May 18, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #4,578 of 4,588
I decided to give the mm today a spin through my Hifiman HE-500
I really like what i'm hearing.
I have the Chord Mojo 2 usually running.
Anyways the Modi Multibit isn't too far behind the Chord Mojo 2 which costs 600 bucks.
I give the Mojo 2 the edge in terms of the clarity but thats just minor difference.
Modi Multibit convinced me.

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #4,579 of 4,588
I decided to give the mm today a spin through my Hifiman HE-500
I really like what i'm hearing.
I have the Chord Mojo 2 usually running.
Anyways the Modi Multibit isn't too far behind the Chord Mojo 2 which costs 600 bucks.
I give the Mojo 2 the edge in terms of the clarity but thats just minor difference.
Modi Multibit convinced me.
I still have my MM1 but prefer the MM2. In my opinion it adds the clarity and detail that the MM1 lacks. The MM1 is still a great DAC and at $250 it was really a breakthrough.

May 18, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #4,580 of 4,588
I still have my MM1 but prefer the MM2. In my opinion it adds the clarity and detail that the MM1 lacks. The MM1 is still a great DAC and at $250 it was really a breakthrough.
My Mojo 2 adds also clarity and detail so i skip the MM2. But yeah MM is great.

May 18, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #4,581 of 4,588
My Mojo 2 adds also clarity and detail so i skip the MM2. But yeah MM is great.
That's what I gathered. I find that my MM1 has really good synergy with the Schiit Vahalla 2 OTL tube amp. I'm currently using JJ 6922 tubes for the input tubes. The MM2 has really good synergy with my Nitsch Piety amp. All good here. I've read a lot of great things about the Mojo 2.

May 19, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #4,582 of 4,588
I've had Mojo 2 a little while back, I do really like its rich tonal balance and how punchy it is. But oddly enough to me it sounded really flat as in no layering and no soundstage. Which seemed really odd to me, I've heard 2-3 other people having the same issue but the majority of people doesn't seem to have this issue so I don't know. Someone recommend me to buy Curious Hugo Link cable which is $170. So I end up selling the Mojo 2 at the end LOL. But let's just say I was the unpopular opinion guy at the Mojo 2 thread. I tried all the crossfeed settings too.

MM1 has rich tonal balance but the USB tech is old, so you get better layering/soundstage off coax/optical.
MM2 has best technicality and Unison USB but tonality is a bit leaner.

Mojo 2 I would say is almost the best of both worlds if it weren't for that weird flat plane issue I had.

LOL sorry a bit sidetracked. Here's some pictures...

PXL_20210427_132257521.jpg

PXL_20230103_030841268.jpg

PXL_20220413_181254090.jpg

May 19, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #4,583 of 4,588
I've had Mojo 2 a little while back, I do really like its rich tonal balance and how punchy it is. But oddly enough to me it sounded really flat as in no layering and no soundstage. Which seemed really odd to me, I've heard 2-3 other people having the same issue but the majority of people doesn't seem to have this issue so I don't know. Someone recommend me to buy Curious Hugo Link cable which is $170. So I end up selling the Mojo 2 at the end LOL. But let's just say I was the unpopular opinion guy at the Mojo 2 thread. I tried all the crossfeed settings too.

MM1 has rich tonal balance but the USB tech is old, so you get better layering/soundstage off coax/optical.
MM2 has best technicality and Unison USB but tonality is a bit leaner.

Mojo 2 I would say is almost the best of both worlds if it weren't for that weird flat plane issue I had.

LOL sorry a bit sidetracked. Here's some pictures...

Hmm, my Mojo 2 sounds good when it comes to soundstage and layering. No problems here.
Compared to my onboard soundcard in my PC it's more centered and deep at the same time.
I'm sorry to hear you had no fun with the Mojo 2.
Mind you i have more than 1000 hours playtime on my Mojo 2.

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #4,584 of 4,588
Hmm, my Mojo 2 sounds good when it comes to soundstage and layering. No problems here.
Compared to my onboard soundcard in my PC it's more centered and deep at the same time.
I'm sorry to hear you had no fun with the Mojo 2.
Mind you i have more than 1000 hours playtime on my Mojo 2.
Yeah I think it's either my cable is too cheap (UGREEN cable off Amazon) or as you said maybe I need more burn in time. I think the previous owner also didn't keep it for long.

Though it's ok now I'm using tube amp (Lyr 3 / Project Solstice) now so I'd need a dedicated dac either way. And Qutest was wayyyyy out of my budget lol.

May 19, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #4,585 of 4,588
Yeah I think it's either my cable is too cheap (UGREEN cable off Amazon) or as you said maybe I need more burn in time. I think the previous owner also didn't keep it for long.

Though it's ok now I'm using tube amp (Lyr 3 / Project Solstice) now so I'd need a dedicated dac either way. And Qutest was wayyyyy out of my budget lol.

My experience is that source matters more than cable. A very stable source with consistent data timing delivery (e.g. a dedicated DAP using USB/Toslink/Coax) will always sound superior to a full blown PC or laptop (those fluctuating CPU cycle loads affect the data stream which results to "flat sound")

May 19, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #4,586 of 4,588
My experience is that source matters more than cable. A very stable source with consistent data timing delivery (e.g. a dedicated DAP using USB/Toslink/Coax) will always sound superior to a full blown PC or laptop (those fluctuating CPU cycle loads affect the data stream which results to "flat sound")
Yeah...... oddly enough I never had USB issues until I start using more expensive dacs LOL. Like my cheap SDAC sounds perfectly good on USB. But then when I got Denafrips Ares II and Musician Draco I find the USB very subpar, using a DDC to Coax/Optical helped a lot though. At the time I own Mojo 2 I didn't have a DDC, now looking back maybe that would've fixed the issue.

But it definitely feel like somehow cheap dacs got the USB down and expensive dac somehow have crappier USB implementation.

Only exception is that Unison USB is pretty good across the board in my experience.

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #4,587 of 4,588
True, i have the opinion that cables don't do much. If you don't enjoy the dac with a cheaper cable you probably won't enjoy it with an expensive cable either.

Jul 16, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #4,588 of 4,588
I have Schiit Modi Multibit (I think v1), but when I run the 24bit file in foobar2000 it stutters, can someone share a link to the win10/11 driver? Or is there some other way to fix it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back