Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Feb 8, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #4,561 of 4,588
Is a Modi Multibit (OG) still a good value proposition in 2023, especially with the MMB 2 officially out now? I'm eyeing one used for about $200. Opinions on the MMB 2 seem to be mixed to positive and I've seen some mentions of the OG having a more mellow sound signature, which I'm really tempted to try. Any thoughts will be appreciated!

Feb 8, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #4,562 of 4,588
Is a Modi Multibit (OG) still a good value proposition in 2023, especially with the MMB 2 officially out now? I'm eyeing one used for about $200. Opinions on the MMB 2 seem to be mixed to positive and I've seen some mentions of the OG having a more mellow sound signature, which I'm really tempted to try. Any thoughts will be appreciated!
Since I bought the MM2 I haven't used my MM1very much. The MM1 is a great DAC and if you can get one for $200 I would. The MM2 is not bright, to me, but just presents more detail in the music that I'm listening to.

Feb 8, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #4,563 of 4,588
I would think it's still a worthwhile product, particularly if you have an input other than straight USB into it. That's kind of the weak point if there is one, IMO. I don't plan on ditching mine anytime soon - it's doing occasional 2-ch duty for music on my phone theater setup.

Feb 8, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #4,564 of 4,588
I would think it's still a worthwhile product, particularly if you have an input other than straight USB into it. That's kind of the weak point if there is one, IMO. I don't plan on ditching mine anytime soon - it's doing occasional 2-ch duty for music on my phone theater setup.
I saw some comments on this same thread about some shortcomings using USB. I'd be coming from a Modi 3+, which doesn't have Unison either - would I still be missing out some performance? I have a Bifrost 2 on my dedicated 2 channel system so I would be using the MMB for my headphone rig with a Loki mini+ and Magni Piety & Heresy

Feb 8, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #4,565 of 4,588
I saw some comments on this same thread about some shortcomings using USB. I'd be coming from a Modi 3+, which doesn't have Unison either - would I still be missing out some performance? I have a Bifrost 2 on my dedicated 2 channel system so I would be using the MMB for my headphone rig with a Loki mini+ and Magni Piety & Heresy
I had a Modi 3 when I went to my MM1 a few years ago and it was an upgrade in my opinion. I went from sitting in the seats to being on the stage. It should be a great match with your Piety or Heresy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 8, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #4,566 of 4,588
To my untrained ears, the said shortcomings via USB on the OG MMB are overblown. I had the MMB OG with a v2 chip and ran it via USB for about 6 months. I was able to find a brand new EITR on Schiit's website in 2022 and ran it via coax. I noted a minor difference. It's almost like I am trying to find differences because I spent money on another gadget. There really was no audible difference in my experience.

If you can find a MMB OG for $200 or less, I'd still go for it if you're planning to use USB only. Don't let it hold you back from the budget R2R experience!

Feb 8, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #4,567 of 4,588
To my untrained ears, the said shortcomings via USB on the OG MMB are overblown. I had the MMB OG with a v2 chip and ran it via USB for about 6 months. I was able to find a brand new EITR on Schiit's website in 2022 and ran it via coax. I noted a minor difference. It's almost like I am trying to find differences because I spent money on another gadget. There really was no audible difference in my experience.

If you can find a MMB OG for $200 or less, I'd still go for it if you're planning to use USB only. Don't let it hold you back from the budget R2R experience!
I had the opposite experience, the difference between USB vs Coax on MM1 was pretty noticeable for me. The issue is that the USB couldn't do timing correctly so everything is presented right in your face. Which I didn't mind since I like forward / upfront vocal. But other area suffers. When I switch to Coax the vocal got a bit further back which I didn't like, but other things like layering and soundstage improved dramatically.

Again it was mostly a timing difference. With the correct timing we're able to hear better layering and soundstage. Though I was using Douk Audio U2 since at the time I couldn't find a Eitr lol. Not sure if that contributed to the difference.

Feb 8, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #4,569 of 4,588
My experience was that it depended on the source USB. My PC was noisy and noticable, while my phone was much better. My main use was with the PC, though, so adding an Eitr made a noticable, though moderate improvement on the PC. Using a Bifrost 2 with unison also was much improved.
Yeah at least everything in the current Schiit line up all have unison USB now lol.

Feb 9, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #4,570 of 4,588
Thank you all for sharing your experiences. My primary source will be a windows PC so it sounds I'll need to do a bit more research. Even if for some reason it doesn't fully work for the setup I'll be integrating it in, it would be a fun experience comparing my Modi 3+, Bifrost 2 Unison and the MMB OG with a bunch of sources. Who knows? Maybe I'll end up moving the BF2 to my headphone rig and use the MMB for the 2 channel setup via Toslink with a Wiim Mini.

Feb 9, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #4,571 of 4,588
Thank you all for sharing your experiences. My primary source will be a windows PC so it sounds I'll need to do a bit more research. Even if for some reason it doesn't fully work for the setup I'll be integrating it in, it would be a fun experience comparing my Modi 3+, Bifrost 2 Unison and the MMB OG with a bunch of sources. Who knows? Maybe I'll end up moving the BF2 to my headphone rig and use the MMB for the 2 channel setup via Toslink with a Wiim Mini.
Only issue is MM1 only come with Coax no Toslink (somehow LOL). I just looked it up seems like Wiim Mini only has Toslink no Coax, but Wiim Pro do have Coax.

I just lend my MM2 to my friend with MM1 and off the bat he already notice the tonal difference. Despite some people find MM1 and MM2 sound almost the same tonally, but me and him both agree there is a tonal difference.

So in your case I'm not sure if it's worth it to upgrade to the Wiim Pro to use Coax or better to get the MM2 (though keep in mind, possible tonal difference you might or might not hear). Unless you have other ways to provide the Coax in your 2 channel setup.

Being an audiophile is full of tough decisions..... LOL.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #4,572 of 4,588
I just lend my MM2 to my friend with MM1 and off the bat he already notice the tonal difference. Despite some people find MM1 and MM2 sound almost the same tonally, but me and him both agree there is a tonal difference.

How would you describe the difference in sound signature between the MM1 and MM2? As far as connectivity goes with the WiiM mini / Pro I'm definitely considering buying a Pro at some point just because of the Chromecast functionality, which I really miss with the mini sometimes.

Or, in any case I could wait for the Urd to be released and use it as a Unison megahub for everything and anything I have around the house :) Nice bonus, it plays CDs!! Eitr, eat my shorts.

Feb 9, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #4,573 of 4,588
Only issue is MM1 only come with Coax no Toslink (somehow LOL).
As an owner of both a Modi Multibit 1 and 2, I need some clarification on your statement above. Assuming MM1 means Modi Multibit, I am confused, since mine has USB, Toslink, and Coax. I'm using the optical out of my TV into the Toslink jack in my living room system as I type.

Feb 9, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #4,574 of 4,588
How would you describe the difference in sound signature between the MM1 and MM2? As far as connectivity goes with the WiiM mini / Pro I'm definitely considering buying a Pro at some point just because of the Chromecast functionality, which I really miss with the mini sometimes.

Or, in any case I could wait for the Urd to be released and use it as a Unison megahub for everything and anything I have around the house :) Nice bonus, it plays CDs!! Eitr, eat my shorts.
Again maybe everyone hear differently, but to me MM2 sounds clean and clear is probably how I'd describe it. I would probably say MM2 is neutral and MM1 would probably be a bit "meatier" sounding with the trade off of it being less resolution than MM2.

My preference lies on the "meatier" side so to my taste MM2 is a bit lean. But for most people it's probably just right.
As an owner of both a Modi Multibit 1 and 2, I need some clarification on your statement above. Assuming MM1 means Modi Multibit, I am confused, since mine has USB, Toslink, and Coax. I'm using the optical out of my TV into the Toslink jack in my living room system as I type.
LOL OMG sorry I'm dumb, I got it mixed up. It's Eitr only has Coax, so if you use Eitr it will only be Coax out.

My bad, yes MM1 has both Coax and Optical. @Tarkus1984 I think you're good to proceed LOL.

Feb 9, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #4,575 of 4,588
Again maybe everyone hear differently, but to me MM2 sounds clean and clear is probably how I'd describe it. I would probably say MM2 is neutral and MM1 would probably be a bit "meatier" sounding with the trade off of it being less resolution than MM2.

My preference lies on the "meatier" side so to my taste MM2 is a bit lean. But for most people it's probably just right.

LOL OMG sorry I'm dumb, I got it mixed up. It's Eitr only has Coax, so if you use Eitr it will only be Coax out.

My bad, yes MM1 has both Coax and Optical. @Tarkus1984 I think you're good to proceed LOL.

Thanks for the additional info, now I understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back