Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit

1. Brad Riegler
    I never turn off a DAC or preamp. My mimby has been going about 6 months now. The longest run I ever had was 4 years on my Hafler preamp. Power outages being the exception.

2. theveterans
    Not always, it is not recommended for Class A amps to leave it on 24/7 since high heat output is number one enemy of electronics

3. gvl2016
    Not necessarily if the internal components are operating within their thermal specs, cycling on the other hand often leads to solder joint failures over time.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  4. thebkt
    I've left my Mimby on for the last few weeks, though my instincts tell me to turn it off overnight as it's so warm. It hasn't failed or burned my apartment down yet though.

5. Brad Riegler
    Definitely do what you feel is best. Internet advice is worth exactly what you pay for it. As you can tell there are a lot of well meant replies but at the end of the day you own the consequence.

showme99 likes this.
  6. jimmers
    High heat output doesn't make much difference, except to the environment, high component temperature on the other hand ... , but there are things that are worse.

7. Jimster480
    Sometimes, it also does waste capacitor hours, etc.
    Since devices aren't affected by power up/down anymore it makes more sense to turn things off when you arent using them.

8. Tuneslover
    I asked Schiit that exact question a few years ago when I bought my first Bifrost and they told me that leaving it on all the time does no harm. They actually recommended to leave it on all the time.

It might be worthwhile to contact Schiit yourself though for your own peace of mind.

9. musicfan145
    I’ve had my Mimby for about a week now, leaving it on 24/7 except when I unplug it to try it in a different room. It sounds great playing through speakers, but still pretty harsh and fatiguing when I listen through headphones, especially using USB as a source. Based on what I’m reading here, others have had a similar experience: Those using a coaxial source and listening through speakers seem to love the Mimby, but those using the USB input often find it sub-par, perhaps especially when listening through headphones

Unfortunately the whole reason I bought it was to use as a USB DAC for headphone listening. Specifically, I want to play Tidal from my iPhone into my Vali 2 feeding my Open Alpha headphones (DIY Alpha Dogs based on mrSpeakers plans). Occasionally I would connect it to a Raspberry Pi or a laptop, but usually to the iPhone. It would be taking the place of a Dragonfly Red (which actually pairs really well with the Vali 2).

If I’m primarily using an iPhone as the source, should I just send the Mimby back and look elsewhere? Would an AQ Jitterbug make a significant difference? It’s really hard for me to see spending another $100-$200 on a USB-to-coaxial converter or USB power supply. If it takes that kind of additional cost and complexity to make it sound good with USB, shouldn’t I be looking for a different DAC? I was really excited to have a nice neat Schiit stack, but if I’m spending that much, should I be looking at a Mojo instead? Or one of those Chinese XMOS DACs and a better tube for the Vali 2? I’m looking for a DAC that is a noticeable step up from the Dragonfly Red, but I’m going for an enjoyable, non-fatiguing presentation, not analytical and super-revealing.
    (I apologize if this has been asked before. I read the most recent 600 or so posts in this thread, but with only a 15 day return period, I’m running out of time to make a decision.)

10. Yayoubetcha
    I have the Multibit and Vali 2 with HD 650's and I don't think its a jitter issue- just my 2 cents- but gains from taming jitter are pretty small unless its totally out of hand but then it would show up on you speakers too. What tube are you using in the Vali? If its the stock tube you can make much larger gains getting a good tube. The stock one I got stunk bad. I think I would start there.

musicfan145 likes this.
  11. Delirious Lab
    Eitr.

RickB likes this.
  12. musicfan145
    Care to elaborate? The Eitr was exactly what I was thinking about when I said “It’s really hard for me to see spending another $100-$200 on a USB-to-coaxial converter [...]. If it takes that kind of additional cost and complexity to make it sound good with USB, shouldn’t I be looking for a different DAC?”

It seems like a bait-and-switch to sell a $249 USB DAC that requires another $179+shipping device to sound good through USB. But if there is something about the Eitr + Mimby combo that good enough that I should get past the anger over having to buy another device, I’d (genuinely) appreciate hearing about it in more detail.

13. thebkt
    It's not bait and switch unless they're creating an issue they have the solution for. The Schiit gadgets aren't marketed that way, at all. It could be any number of issues though. I'd suggest trying to troubleshoot your USB issues by testing your Mimby with different sources, maybe a different amp if you have access to one. If you can determine for certain that the jitter's only occurring over USB (source independent) with the Mimby, then I'd get in touch with Schiit, as there's probably something wrong with your unit. I haven't hooked up my phone as a source, but I've had absolutely zero issues using optical or usb with my Mimby.

I'd like to think my perfectly capable unit is the norm, not the exception.

14. gvl2016
    Mimby's Usb interface is adequate. It's not galvananically isolated gen5 but it's fine. Something else is going on, or you simply don't like Mimby's sound, I know I didn't in the end. As for iPhone, does it allow bit-accurate playback? I know Android doesn't, if not you could be hearing resampling artifacts.

15. cheungtsw
    I assume Mimby will be updated with USB5 in the future?