Gym Headphones
Feb 15, 2006 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mikeyb317

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a pair of gym headphones (one of the ear pieces on my PX-200s broke, so they don't make a good seal). I've been considering the PX-100s and the Koss Porta Pros, but unless I'm mistaken, these are both open. Would these be good for the gym, or would too much noise leak in? Any other good relatively inexpensive gym headphones?

Feb 15, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyb317
I'm looking to get a pair of gym headphones (one of the ear pieces on my PX-200s broke, so they don't make a good seal). I've been considering the PX-100s and the Koss Porta Pros, but unless I'm mistaken, these are both open. Would these be good for the gym, or would too much noise leak in? Any other good relatively inexpensive gym headphones?

Personally, I go with Ety's Er6i or cheap pair of Sony's.

Feb 15, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
Personally, I go with Ety's Er6i or cheap pair of Sony's.

I may look into the Ety's but, I don't like IEMs for running; they end up falling out and being too much of a hassel.

Feb 15, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 12
I found that the KSC 75 or PX 100 let in too much noise at the gym. I could barely hear my music over the noise of other people, machines, and the PA system blasting FM radio. ER-6i doesn't work for me because of the way it amplifies all internal noises (footsteps, heartbeats, etc.) I thought the Sony ex81 (or ex71) provided a nice compromise, but it doesn't isolate nearly enough to beat out gym noise. So I've given up wearing headphones to the gym.
frown.gif
But the er-6i might still be the best bet.

Feb 15, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 12
Personally, I don't like IEMs for working out, and open cans let too much noise in. My current favorite workout headphone is the AKG K26P. Folds up nice, closed, bass-a-plenty, and easily driven by a portable. Oh, and you can easily find it under $50.

Feb 15, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 12
I use the er6i's and absolutely love them. They plug very firmly into my ears and almost completely block out the blaring funk that is played in gyms these days. I can listen to classical in peace and quiet. However, I do not run with these. I use the elyptical trainer which minimizes the thumping microphonics--it never bothers me. At around 100 dollars I wouldn't go much higher for gym phones because there is always the risk of breakage. You don't want something you have to "baby" too much.

Feb 15, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravitas
Personally, I don't like IEMs for working out, and open cans let too much noise in. My current favorite workout headphone is the AKG K26P. Folds up nice, closed, bass-a-plenty, and easily driven by a portable. Oh, and you can easily find it under $50.

Hmm...I may have to look into these.

Feb 16, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyb317
I may look into the Ety's but, I don't like IEMs for running; they end up falling out and being too much of a hassel.

Er6i aren't going to fall out when running, are a good choice. Give them a shot. If you dont like them someone here will pick them up for about what you bought them for used. They are well worth there value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back