Grrr, paint peeling off my HD650
Sep 3, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #32 of 95
Thanks for the info, pink! The picture you show is just what's going on with mine, sadly. I wonder why it would happen to me so quickly, even when others have never had problems, though. I'm going to send these primadonna cans into Sennheiser next week. I think I'll acquire a DT880 to fill the void of time, and if I like them enough or more, then Senns will go bye-bye upon their return.

Sep 3, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #33 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
common problem / perfectly normal and it happens to all of them..... it's the lacquer peeling away from the sides of the headband. HD-600 , HD580 it happens to all of them

Are you sure the 580s have a lacquer? I don't have them here with me, but IIRC they headband is all plastic. The only exception being the Sennheiser logo and the fluffy pads underneath.

Sep 3, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #34 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Thanks for the info, pink! The picture you show is just what's going on with mine, sadly. I wonder why it would happen to me so quickly, even when others have never had problems, though. I'm going to send these primadonna cans into Sennheiser next week. I think I'll acquire a DT880 to fill the void of time, and if I like them enough or more, then Senns will go bye-bye upon their return.

I was actually quite surprised when the Sennheiser technical guy said this was a common occurence, I was honestly expecting him to say "no that shouldn't happen" When you think about it, painting something that flexes will inevitably lead to the paint parting company with the surface it's just a matter of time and I suppose it's dependant on how frequently the surface is flexed.

I've had a good think and will be sending mine back for a new headband just out of principle and maybe if Sennheiser get a load of headbands returned they may adopt a better method of finishing their headphones on future models. I'm not too fussed with a bit of flaking paintwork but I'm sure there are many people who would like their headphones to look good as well as sound good so this may prove quite a costly design flaw for Sennheiser. I took my fingernail to the part of the headband where the paint is flaking and there's not a lot holding it on.... it appears they have sprayed the top of the headband with a bit more lacquer, as it is glossier than the sides of the headband, so maybe it will adhere a bit better than the stuff on the sides
confused.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #35 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
Are you sure the 580s have a lacquer? I don't have them here with me, but IIRC they headband is all plastic. The only exception being the Sennheiser logo and the fluffy pads underneath.

Sorry, I'm not sure if the HD-580 is lacquered but Sennheisers Technical guy told me he had the HD-580 "Jubilee" which I assume are lacquered as he said the lacquer was coming off them also
confused.gif

Maybe it's just the HD-600 and HD-650 that are lacquered and also this HD-580 jubilee headphone.

Sep 3, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #36 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Sorry, I'm not sure if the HD-580 is lacquered but Sennheisers Technical guy told me he had the HD-580 "Jubilee" which I assume are lacquered as he said the lacquer was coming off them also
confused.gif

Maybe it's just the HD-600 and HD-650 that are lacquered and also this HD-580 jubilee headphone.

The HD-580 Jubilee was a version of the HD-580 that was basically a prototype of the HD-600. It already had the carbon frame and the marble look, IIRC. So it would have the same lacquering problems as its near-twin the HD-600. I'm not sure if it had the better matched drivers, though.

Sep 3, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #37 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
The HD-580 Jubilee was a version of the HD-580 that was basically a prototype of the HD-600. It already had the carbon frame and the marble look, IIRC. So it would have the same lacquering problems as its near-twin the HD-600. I'm not sure if it had the better matched drivers, though.

Whatever the case, the HD-600 and HD-650 finish is "paint" and will eventually part company with the headband at stress areas. This, obviously, won't affect sound quality but will make your headphones look like mangy dogs.

My HD-600's have still got 14 months guarantee left so I'll return them on Monday for a freshly sprayed headband
icon10.gif

Watch this space for pics of the new headband
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #38 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeplin
OH, and in response to the paint peeling....
I too have never had any problems with my 600's or 650's with any paint peeling. The whole notion sounds silly as I've never heard of this happening to anyone!!??

Consider this a learning curve
tongue.gif
If you still think it's silly then phone Sennheiser.

Sep 3, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #39 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Not to worry, Sennheiser is going to offer a new accessory for the HD650's to help keep cool.

HD650_Fans_01.jpg

evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

LOL, I'd assume those things are adjustable... Otherwise, all they're good for is cooling whom ever is either in front or behind... of course, if they are blowing forward at least it'll blow the heat from the monitor away from you...
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #40 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
LOL, I'd assume those things are adjustable... Otherwise, all they're good for is cooling whom ever is either in front or behind... of course, if they are blowing forward at least it'll blow the heat from the monitor away from you...
biggrin.gif

That contraption would sure help the paint to dry
tongue.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #41 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer

What!!! I thought, the Beyers were overly dry and boring... <scratches head>

Sep 3, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #42 of 95
seriously people.......... before this thread turns into a joke.................. e-mail Sennheiser re: the flaking paintwork.......... it's fact.

Sep 3, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #43 of 95
Quote:

It *is* confusing. IIRC the 880s were even more veiled than the 600s and too smooth for lively music/rock. (I've never listened to the 880s though)

Sep 3, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #45 of 95
Quote:

Well that was without the DAC1, I was listening to them out of the EMU/Gilmore or the Grace. I though the the Senns were still laid-back and boring without the DAC1. So it only follows that the DT880 would not be dry or boring with the DAC1. I think I can handle a little extra brightness (as evidenced by the E5, it's definitely brighter than the HD650) in exchange for a wider soundstage, and better build quality (IMO). I am happy enough with the E5's that the only other thing I need are open cans for when I don't feel like using them, and I would like to have ones that aren't going to be flaking apart all over me. Unless the DT880 sounds dramatically worse than the HD650 in my system, the HD650 will be going up the river, and the DT880 up the left coast for a good ol' fashioned Headphile cable job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back