Grrr, paint peeling off my HD650
Sep 3, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #16 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
As warm as it usually is in my room (85F+) my head doesn't really sweat at all, unlike my good pal mr. hamster, who is like a human heat pump
biggrin.gif

I am dismayed to learn this is just some stupid design flaw that bites everyone eventually. I am amazed that I had heard about this after over a year at head-fi.

Hey he's not your only friend who's got heat issues...
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #17 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd
Dear Sennheiser,

I was sitting at home listening to my hi-fi with my trusty HD650s when a rather rude Hurricane came along. The sheer weight of my equipment at first anchored me down and thanks to the locking headphone jack I was floating in the air. Of course I did not realise what was happening and thought the burn-in factor of the 650s had hit a sweet spot and the flying feeling I was experiencing was headphile heaven.

I am writing this letter from my hospital bed to request you to send me a new cable for the 650s as the original broke - now will you guys fit better cables! Surely you could fit a Zu Mobius one for better all round weather protection and more secure anchorage!

Yours truly
Dorothy, Kansas.
icon10.gif

LOL, er....huh?

Is this some type of insinuation that I use my cans too roughly? They are always indoors, and 99% of the time on my head in the same chair they always are. And of course there are no hurricanes in CA
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #19 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
LOL, er....huh?

Is this some type of insinuation that I use my cans too roughly? They are always indoors, and 99% of the time on my head in the same chair they always are. And of course there are no hurricanes in CA
biggrin.gif

No, but now I've got to go post in one of the threads about hurricanes and slip the subject of peeling headbands in somehow
icon10.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #21 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
Get the HD580s
biggrin.gif

Awesome build quality that sound much better than that of the HD650s (I'm being serious).

Uuuh awesome build quality? I had to have my 580's repaired twice in 2 years due to the intermittancy problem. I also had to have a driver replaced one of those times. The 580's are 600's definitely do not have a good build quality when compared to phones of a similar price like the audiotechnica a900's.

Sep 3, 2004 at 1:28 AM Post #22 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by absolutofft
Uuuh awesome build quality? I had to have my 580's repaired twice in 2 years due to the intermittancy problem. I also had to have a driver replaced one of those times. The 580's are 600's definitely do not have a good build quality when compared to phones of a similar price like the audiotechnica a900's.

I've had my HD580's for two years now, and I havn't had any of the problems you guys are talking about, maybe I'm just lucky? I agree that the A900's look to be superior in build quality, I just hope that they hold up as well as my 580's.

Sep 3, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #23 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by absolutofft

Maybe your 580s are from the older batch? IIRC the intermittency problem is from pre-1990 something 580s, and 580s that were made afterwards don't exhibit that problem.

As far as drivers go, I don't know, you may be right.

Sep 3, 2004 at 7:16 AM Post #24 of 95
absolutofft,

just because you've had some bad luck with your Senns, doesn't at all mean their build quality overall bad and or crappy. i and many others on head-fi, as well as my friends outside of head-fi, have never ran into any problems whatsoever with either the 580/600/650...ever! this leads me to believe that the opposite of what you said is true. you cannot judge the build quality of a whole entire line of headphones, spanning over many years, to be bad just because you personally have had some bad experiences....it simply does not work that way. i'm only addressing you like this because i don't want people to get the wrong impression about the Senns because of a few individuals experiencing bad luck. this is true with every single company on the face of this earth in regards to manufacturing any type of product...every company is going to have a few bad batches and therefore will have a few unhappy customers. but it does absolutely NOT reflect their true, ovreall, average status on build quality. from personal experience, i've had my Etymotic 4P canalphones sent in for repair about 5 times now since i've bought them. but since they have pretty much the best customer service and build quality out of most headphones on the market, i'm not going to label and conclude that their whole line of earphones are of bad quality and brake all the time just to scare people. that's not how it works man! so i ask that when you draw from your experiences and post about them on head-fi, you be careful to put everything into perspective in order to avoid giving people the completely wrong impression about the quality of a headphone. one of the very most important things we try to do around here at head-fi is to NOT misslead people with biased or wrongful information. this again goes for any headphone! thanx
smily_headphones1.gif

and btw...i've owned a few AT's ( two W1000's). the first one i had broke for no apparent reason other than it was probably made badly from a bad batch. there was no reason for it to break. but that does NOT lead me to believe that the whole AT line of headphones in that price category is cheaply made and is suseptable to break easily. again, these things happen with all phones of all categories. it's almost as if it is a law of nature!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 7:35 AM Post #26 of 95
OH, and in response to the paint peeling....
I too have never had any problems with my 600's or 650's with any paint peeling. The whole notion sounds silly as I've never heard of this happening to anyone!!??

On a related note:
I think on a website like head-fi we will find ourselves reading more and more about people having bad experiences with headphones because of the increased chances due to the number of us actually owning them being higher than on a site about something else entirely (i.e. videogames). Know what I mean?? My point is, don't be so surprized to hear about people with weird headphone problems on a site where everyone owns headphones. And I also think that it is because of this that many people think certain headphone makers have overall crappy build quality...they simply hear about the problems more often. For me, upon first joining head-fi, this concept didn't occur to me and I really thought that certain makers really had a bad rap for making poor quality headphones. Anyways.....

Sep 3, 2004 at 7:37 AM Post #27 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeplin
On a related note:
I think on a website like head-fi we will find ourselves reading more and more about people having bad experiences with headphones because of the increased chances due to the number of us actually owning them being higher than on a site about something else entirely (i.e. videogames). Know what I mean?? My point is, don't be so surprized to hear about people with weird headphone problems on a site where everyone owns headphones. And I also think that it is because of this that many people think certain headphone makers have overall crappy build quality...they simply hear about the problems more often. For me, upon first joining head-fi, this concept didn't occur to me and I really thought that certain makers really had a bad rap for making poor quality headphones. Anyways.....

That's true, zep, I hadn't thought about it that way, and I even tend to be a bit over-pensive
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 10:12 AM Post #28 of 95
Maybe I am wrong, maybe this is a very rare problem but here is a picture of the lifting on the side edges of the headband. To heck, they've got a 2 year warranty I may as well get a new headband
tongue.gif

1.jpg

Sep 3, 2004 at 10:44 AM Post #30 of 95
OK, to settle the matter I have just been on the phone to Sennheiser UK and had quite an interesting conversation with their technical department.

I asked if it was normal for this to happen and the guy said "yes, it is the nature of the beast" he went on to explain that the finish is a lacquer and it "will" lift off the sides of the headband after a period of use. This is due to the flexing of the headband and a "number of other factors" he explained. I asked him if sweat could also be a contributing factor and he said "it could be yes"

He told me that he had a pair of HD-580 jubilee's, a pair of HD-600's and a pair of HD-650 and they all exhibited the flaking lacquer.

Even though this will eventually happen to all the headbands with this type of finish (will happen faster if you use the phones every day and take them off and put them on your head a lot) he says that Sennheiser will replace the headband if this happens during the warranty period.

I really don't know if it's worth me sending mine back for a replacement headband if this is going to happen again but seeing I am thinking of selling them then a new non flaky headband may be a good idea
wink.gif

So there we have it........ it "is" a known issue and Sennheiser class it as a normal occurence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back