Graham Slee Solo SRG versus Solo SRGII
Apr 26, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #46 of 69
It's not replacing the SRGII. It's being placed above the SRGII or alongside. I'ts a bit more expensive.

I sent my Solo to the uk last week to get it upgraded to Ultra Linear.

Channel imbalance: no experiences with that. The alps volume control does have a built in inbalance at very low volumes. this is no malfunction, so the manual says.

Graham Slee Solo is always supposed to be on, always warm. Many people warm it up for hours before auditioning. Burn in is also very very long.

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #47 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoldar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not replacing the SRGII. It's being placed above the SRGII or alongside. I'ts a bit more expensive.

I sent my Solo to the uk last week to get it upgraded to Ultra Linear.

Channel imbalance: no experiences with that. The alps volume control does have a built in inbalance at very low volumes. this is no malfunction, so the manual says.

Graham Slee Solo is always supposed to be on, always warm. Many people warm it up for hours before auditioning. Burn in is also very very long.

Ahhh... so if I order a new SRG II I can opt for the super liner upgrade? what is the extra cost?

Apr 26, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #48 of 69
I am also looking for my first amp and I am torn apart between the SRGII and the Meier Concerto. I believe the Linear will cost an extra £80, but not sure if I will prefer it over the regular Solo. From what I understand the Linear will be more lush and musical while the original is likely to have more bass and be more punchy. Correct me if I am wrong.

Apr 26, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #49 of 69
The linup is now:
Solo SRGII with "PSU1" power supply 434.00GBP
Solo Ultra-Linear with PSU1 power supply 514.85GBP

I'm very curious about the effects to SQ in comparison to my 2007 Solo. My aim is a bit more mid-bass and punch, combined with a slight less edgy treble from my AKG K701.

Graham has posted some experiences on his forum. I will add my own experiences when the Solo Ultra Linear arrives.

Apr 26, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #50 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahhh... so if I order a new SRG II I can opt for the super liner upgrade? what is the extra cost?

You could upgrade any Solo (silver housing) to Ultra Linear I think. Upgrade is about 220 pounds. See: Headphone Amplifier Upgrade | Solo SRGII Headphone Amplifier

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #52 of 69
In case anyone is interested, Graham has said that we can borrow both the current SRG and the new Ultra Linear for the mini meet in Brighton UK I am organising (August 4th). So if anyone is interested in comparing the two that might be an option (details in local meet section).

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #53 of 69
Gregvet,
I just found out about your meeting few days ago and I happen to be off that week
bigsmile_face.gif
. I am very likely to order the Concerto this week so that could make an ever more interesting comparaison.

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #54 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this replacing the SRG II in the line-up?

Good question, I should know the answer since I am a moderator in Graham's forum but I honestly do not know.
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregvet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In case anyone is interested, Graham has said that we can borrow both the current SRG and the new Ultra Linear for the mini meet in Brighton UK I am organising (August 4th). So if anyone is interested in comparing the two that might be an option (details in local meet section).

Greg, in my experience with 7 of Graham's amps they need a very long burn-in period. To the tune of 500-600 hours, so when you get the amp make sure you log a close to 600 hours of burn-in as possible. Also his amps do not sound good until they have turned on for at least 6 hours, since the mini-meet is at your house make sure the amp is left on overnight. Cheers.

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #55 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good question, I should know the answer since I am a moderator in Graham's forum but I honestly do not know.
redface.gif

Greg, in my experience with 7 of Graham's amps they need a very long burn-in period. To the tune of 500-600 hours, so when you get the amp make sure you log a close to 600 hours of burn-in as possible. Also his amps do not sound good until they have turned on for at least 6 hours, since the mini-meet is at your house make sure the amp is left on overnight. Cheers.

Miguel,
Can you offer any feedback on the sonic differences between the two?

May 17, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #56 of 69
Sent my $$ to Graham Sat morning, I will soon be the proud owner of one SRGII
smile_phones.gif

May 17, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #57 of 69
Cool. Congrats. Bear in mind that even with an upgraded Solo, you should give it time to burn-in. Mine has been playing for a week and is only now settling down. The first few days you will hear very different amps from one day to another.

May 17, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #58 of 69
Also, remember that it sounds a lot better when it's been turned on for a long time. 

I didn't believe it until I found out for myself. "It's twu....it's twu" (Blazing Saddles reference)

May 17, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #59 of 69
I was lucky enough to have some time with Miguel's recently so I know how it should sound post burn-in and was surprised how very true the comments were about leaving it on. I did notice that if I left it on at home overnight I could unplug it and take it to work (powered off for about an hour) and it would take only about 30-45 min to get back to sounding as it did.

May 17, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #60 of 69

Quote:
Sent my $$ to Graham Sat morning, I will soon be the proud owner of one SRGII
smile_phones.gif

Cool.  I was going over my review as a refresher course and I do believe that I liked the SRG II enough that I'd be happy to own one myself, if I didn't have the WA6 and Amphora to fill that roll in my bedroom rig.  I use the Amphora while I wait for the WA6 to warm up, which takes at least an hour (although 30 minutes is the minimum).  It's strange that the SRG II takes many times longer to warm up than my tube amp, but for $500 less than my maxed WA6 with several upgrades I wouldn't complain about having to leave it on all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back