Graham Slee Solo SRG versus Solo SRGII
Dec 31, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #16 of 69
I added PART 2 to my impressions above, and shipped the SRG II back today by priority mail insured for $750. I am glad I got to hear this amp after the upgrade to SRG II.

Jan 1, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #17 of 69
I can't see myself upgrading to the SRG II from my SRG I.
When I upgraded from the 2007 Solo no significant changes were evident with regards SQ however I did notice that the SRG was darker sounding with my HD650's with SD v2 cable (not good!) but alot fuller and deeper bass with the K701's (very good!)
I had the 2007 version for about 2 years but did have a 3 week gap between selling it before getting the SRG, first one was lost in the post!
I have just received my new W6se so will probably be selling my Solo and upgrading to a balanced SS amp in the near future.

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #21 of 69
i see GS are doing return upgrades for the srgI to srgII.
i would have thought it cheaper to sell srgI and buy a new srgII.
or am i missing something?

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #22 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review, mrarroyo.
have you tried this amp with high impedance cans? A 600 ohm beyer for example...
Do you think there's enough juice for them?
Thanks

I tried it with my 600 ohm AKG K240M and it sounded nice, reminding me of a high end Grado in tonality. And, it was punchy enough too. SRG II also drives them a bit louder than my portable amps, and according to the SRG II specs the 27 mw at 600 ohm should result in almost 103dB volume levels with these K240M (88dB/mw). I thought it got a bit louder than that.

I didn't spend a lot of time with it, but I did test the 600 ohm phones because I was curious. I don't have any Beyer to try, but see if Skylab can help with that, as he has many 600 ohm Beyer.

Of all my headphones with the SRG II I still liked the HD800 with it the most - it beat my ALO Amphora with those and almost caught up with my maxed WA6 with the HD800.

Jan 12, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #23 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I didn't spend a lot of time with it, but I did test the 600 ohm phones because I was curious. I don't have any Beyer to try, but see if Skylab can help with that, as he has many 600 ohm Beyer.

I did try the Slee with the 600 ohm Beyers, as well as the very LOW impedance HE-5. I thought it did a good job with both, although it seemed a little more at ease with the HE-5. Still, it would work fine with 600 ohm cans, unless you require truly ear-splitting levels (in which case you won't need good audio equipment for very ling anyway
biggrin.gif
)

Jan 14, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #25 of 69
I'm still torn between upgrading my SRGI or putting the money towards a Phonitor. Never heard one but sorely tempted.

I fear that the increased bass of the SRGII will bloat my D7000's which already have bass in spades on the SRGI.

Any thoughts on that?

Regards

Sceptre

Jan 15, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #26 of 69
This should help a little with the "Bloat", I know it does for me
evil_smiley.gif
:

200.jpg

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #27 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This should help a little with the "Bloat", I know it does for me
evil_smiley.gif
:

200.jpg

Thank you Dr immtbiker.

You have hit the nail on the head. I shall duct tape one box inside each earpiece straight away. Ace!!
atsmile.gif

Sceptre

Jan 15, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #29 of 69
I'm not really a doctor, I just play one one the internet.

I suggest taking 25 mg.of Thorazine and call me when you wake uo and clean up the drool on your face and shirt
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back