Grado versus Alessandro
Jan 22, 2010 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

kerwin

New Head-Fier
Because i'm not always that impressed with peoples 'reviews' about the comparison in these two companies, I decided to mail both company's and just ask them what's the difference.

Grado had a very fast and simple reply: There are no sonic differences.

Alessandro however, wasn't that keen to give away any information.
Following is my email contact with Alessandro.

Me
Quote:

I was just wondering how the Alessandro line of headphones differ from Grado.
They look pretty much identical, in stats as well in appearance.

Could you clarify this for me?

Alessandro
Quote:

We do not directly compare our products to the Grado line.

Me
Quote:

Could you explain why not?

Alessandro
Quote:

They are two separate product lines. If you are purchasing the phones for professional use in the Music Industry then the Alessandro line is appropriate, if you are purchasing for home use then purchase the Grado product.

Me
Quote:

Yes, i understand you have your own target audience.
The question remains: Are their audiable differences between the product lines?

I can understand if you use the same product with your own branding, i'm just trying to make sense out of it.

Alessandro
Quote:

Our phones are their own model.

I'm not going to reply any more, they don't seem very willing to give me the information i want.
If people here have had the chance to listen to both product lines and are willing to shine some light on the subject... please do!

For me, i've taken my own conclusions and believe they're the same product with different branding, nothing more.

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #2 of 52
One way to find out... who wants to martyr their MS1's and SR60/80/125's for science?

biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #3 of 52
The reply you received from Allessandro sounds like contract-speak. There is no doubt some agreement in place with Grado as to how Allessandro markets the product and responds to inquiries like yours. After all, Alessandro is simply selling possibly tweaked, partially relabeled Grados.

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After all, Alessandro is simply selling possibly tweaked, partially relabeled Grados.

1. Why wouldn't Grado be reacting according to these 'communication contract' terms?
2. If they are modificating Grado's for their target audience, i can understand.
Lot's of company's take OEM products and upgrade or modify it to make it their own, but wouldn't that be a product feature worth mentioning?

It's nothing new for company's to relabel (OEM) products with their own branding, but it's another to dodge questions if you're so clearly in overlapping markets, as with audiophile products and 'music industry'.

It's not like it isn't an obvious question to make, is it?

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do not sound the same, period.

So you have compared them side by side, or do i have to believe you "op je blauwe ogen"?
regular_smile .gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #7 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerwin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Why wouldn't Grado be reacting according to these 'communication contract' terms?
2. If they are modificating Grado's for their target audience, i can understand.
Lot's of company's take OEM products and upgrade or modify it to make it their own, but wouldn't that be a product feature worth mentioning?

It's nothing new for company's to relabel (OEM) products with their own branding, but it's another to dodge questions if you're so clearly in overlapping markets, as with audiophile products and 'music industry'.

It's not like it isn't an obvious question to make, is it?

Grado builds and supplies the product; Alessandro does nothing other than marketing the product. It is not unusual for a manufacturer to stipulate how rebranded sibling products are marketed and described to potential customers for reasons of maintaining whatever brand image they wish to project. These are not really re-branded per se, as "Grado Labs" is prominently displayed on them. No doubt Grado has a Distributor Agreement with Alessandro that has clear parameters relative to the marketing of this Grado sub-brand. This kind of thing is SOP.

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 52
It's quite well known. The Grado series is more for rock and metal, and the alessandros are more rounded.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerwin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you have compared them side by side, or do i have to believe you "op je blauwe ogen"?
regular_smile .gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #9 of 52
I don't know because I have never heard the Grados, but my MS1i's sound good with everything. No so much with classical but everything else they really shine with.

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #11 of 52
My first Grado was the SR-80. I had it for about 3 months, then I found out about the Alessandro MS-1i. I heard here that is smoother and a bit deeper bass than the SR-80. So I bought the MS-1i, let it burn in about 60 hours and A/B'd the SR-80 vs MS-1i. The reports were accurate -- the MS-1i overall sound was smoother -- the highs not quite as grainy or strident; and the bass was a bit deeper. BUT the "house601

I cannot remember now if the MS-1 is "based" on the SR-80 or the SR-125.

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #12 of 52
I'm considering either the SR60is, SR80is, or the MS1s for use with my iPod (unamped). I realize that they are not the most portable sets of cans and that they will all leak sound, but these aspects don't bother me. Sadly, I don't know of any places around my area that carry these for me to try before I buy. I've heard many people say that the MS1s are the more rounded pair of cans -- i.e. they seem to sound better for all types of music whereas the Grados seem to be more geared to specific genres. I will mainly be using the cans to listen to alternative rock, rap, and some pop; and I would like the cans to have a strong bass that I can feel. As such, my research has pushed me toward the Grados. I would prefer a more fun set a cans rather than an accurate one. With this in mind, am I correct in leaning toward the Grados? If so, would the SR60is or the SR80is suit me better? Some people say that there isn't a huge difference between these two cans -- at least not one that warrants the price difference. Others say that there is a truly noticeable difference in bass between the two sets of cans. Again, I am looking for a truly fun set of cans. Which of the three cans I listed is the most "fun" for the above-mentioned music genres?

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #13 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cannot remember now if the MS-1 is "based" on the SR-80 or the SR-125.

The MS1/1i uses the same driver as the SR125/125i.

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #14 of 52
If I wanted to find out the difference between two types of cans, I would certainly not leave it up to the company that sells them and profits from them to tell me how they sound. I get it; it would be interesting to finally get a bit of non-contract speak out of Alessandro (oooo... the delicious controversy!), but if you want objective, look elsewhere. Best bet: Do they sound different to you? Test drive a couple pairs. See for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back