Grado SR80i vs. 125i
Oct 17, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 24
The 125i is certainly the rarest model on these forums, I also suspect that it is the least popular seller
in the SR series, most people jump from the SR60/80i straight up to the 225/325i.

Only difference is that the SR80i has a standard copper voice coil while the SR125i gets the
high quality UHLPC copper voice coil. Both retain the standard headphone cable.

225i+ gets both UHLPC in the voice coil and in the cable.

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #5 of 24
Extremely similar, at one point I had both, and I spent all my time comparing them. In the end I just stopped, too similar sounding for me to care. Only very small differences, and they only come up when you're paying full attention.
Grado changes sound much more dramatically with the higher end models, not the lower end ones.

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #6 of 24

Quote:
Extremely similar, at one point I had both, and I spent all my time comparing them. In the end I just stopped, too similar sounding for me to care. Only very small differences, and they only come up when you're paying full attention.
Grado changes sound much more dramatically with the higher end models, not the lower end ones.

So basically, I should save the $50 and get the 80i's.

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #8 of 24
I don't really mean to throw a wrench in the process, but if you're looking to save a few dollars, the SR60i is also a perfectly acceptable choice that doubles as a fun modding piece.

I have only heard the SR80i, so take that as you will. Most people seem to think that the SR80i is worth the extra coin, though (and it can be modded as well).

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 24

Quote:
I don't really mean to throw a wrench in the process, but if you're looking to save a few dollars, the SR60i is also a perfectly acceptable choice that doubles as a fun modding piece.

I have only heard the SR80i, so take that as you will. Most people seem to think that the SR80i is worth the extra coin, though (and it can be modded as well).

Is it easy to mod? I'm really new to this stuff
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #11 of 24

Quote:
Buy the headphones first. Only mod them if you don't like their stock sound.
There are 2 huge threads you can read: http://www.head-fi.org/t/508459/sr60-mod and http://www.head-fi.org/t/560806/sr60-mod-part-ii

@mdonova33

Very good advice ~ if you ever want to sell them on one day, stock will always be easier to move than modded.

In small markets like Australia for example, you'd struggle to sell a modded pair. Someone looking for
a second hand Grado would most likely want the OEM original without the extras.

Just saying.

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #13 of 24
Oct 19, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #15 of 24
Get the SR80, stick to swapping pads only for a while to appreciate their sound before you start modding. Also you might want to only poke two of those "bass holes" tops from my experience.

The SR80 has more sparkly colored treble... and the mids were warmer for me, which is great for guitar distortion hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back