Grado SR60i or SR80i
Jan 19, 2011 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Uri Cohen

Formerly known as HyperDuel
I'm currently using a RS-1i for on the go portable but I'm sorry but the SR125is and up the Grado line aren't really made for portable use IMO.  I'm using a Walkman WM-D6C cassette portable and MZ-R70 Minidisc portable.  Using a Grado 1/4 to 1/8 cable to the cassette and Minidisc portable with the cable heavy RS-1is is just not working out for me.  

So I'm thinking just use the RS-1is at home and use either the SR60i or the SR80i for portable use.  I like the Grado sound a lot so thats' why I want the 60 or 80.  I never listen to either one before so I'm wondering which one to get.  I might just get the 80i since I can afford it but I'm wondering from people listening to both of them before does the 80i is better than the 60i?

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 28
I have the MS1is but have never tried the SR80s. They aren't really too 'laid back' its just that the SR80s are supposed to be some of the most upfront Grados around. I believe the MS1s are of superior sound quality but that doesn't mean you will prefer them.

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #9 of 28
Neither one is suited for use as a portable 'phone. The cord is too long and thick, and they let too much outside sound in, which results in you having to crank the bejeezus out of your tunes, which combines to damage your ears, and bother anyone nearby.
gs1000.gif

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #10 of 28
There won't be any difference between the SR80 and RS1 as far as portable use other than you are not risking a $700 pair of headphones with the 80's. They are the same design, same size, still have a thick, long cord, and are completely open backed. But if you are set on getting one off your list, I say Grado. The MS1 IMO is good to use as a door stop or something similar. Grado is where it's at. You like the Grado sound, get a Grado.

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #11 of 28

Quote:
There won't be any difference between the SR80 and RS1 as far as portable use other than you are not risking a $700 pair of headphones with the 80's. They are the same design, same size, still have a thick, long cord, and are completely open backed. But if you are set on getting one off your list, I say Grado. The MS1 IMO is good to use as a door stop or something similar. Grado is where it's at. You like the Grado sound, get a Grado.

Not to be rude but I don't know what you're listening to, my RS1i sound unfathomably better than my SR225i when plugged into my iPhone, I can't imagine where you're getting that they sound the same as SR80i from, even if a mobile device is being used as the source.

OP, if you're looking for less risk while on the move, just go for the SR80i. They'll be a much more practical choice if you're worried for your cans, but they obviously won't sound as good.

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #12 of 28
I didn't mean there is no difference in sound...just in the size and unportability of Grados there would be no difference. I think my post is pretty clear but maybe it's not. Anyways...to clear it up for anyone that may be confused...the portability will not be different but the sound will/should be.

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #13 of 28
I have owned both;i sold the ms1's ,i much prefered the 80i's.Even before Bill's tweaking advice they sounded nearly as good as my325's.Not tried the 60's,get the 80i's if you can afford them.

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #15 of 28
Unfortunately I wasted money on a pair...so yeah...I am fully aware of them. Thanks for asking though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back