Grado SR352IS / AKG 701 / Beyerdynamic DT880 / Sennheiser HD598/HD600
Mar 28, 2011 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

jorgillu

New Head-Fier

Hi all,

After years of using only in ear headphones, I am decided to try a full size open ones. I have been pretty much a Shure guy (e3, e500, 535) and I have owned also some sennheiser ones, but always in ear.

I need some help choosing full size open cans, because I've never tested any of them (only cheap models). I'm not a bass guy and I use them with prog rock and rock (some jazz maybe).

One important point in the decisions is that I'm planning to use them at work (with my rockboxed ipod + ibasso D12) and I am not sure if the amp is needed or even the ipod can handle this cans.

I am considering the four models I' pointed out in the title:
* Grado SR325is
* Senn HD598/HD600
* Beyer DT880
* AKG 701

But any other suggestion (My budget is around 300$) is welcome.

Thank you all in advance !!!.

Mar 28, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 21
Bumping for interest! This is pretty much a clash of the sub-300$ titans.

Jorgillu what are your sonic preferences? I'm not so acquainted with Shure that I know their general soung signature =/

Mar 28, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 21
Also bumping for interest. I want to hear what people have to say.

Mar 28, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 21
hmm....Open cans in the Office? Are you sure that's okay?

Just making sure.

Mar 28, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 21
Add the Senn HD600 to the list of potential cans.

I'm a fan of Grado but I'm not a fan of the 325is. it is, to me and others, but not all, a very piercing headphone. I like the 225 below it better.

The Senn and AKG are quite amp dependent so that should be taken into account.

What are your preferences in terms of what sound signature you are looking for? Bass heavy? Detail? Neutral sound? Musical? Analytical? What genres do you listen to?

Mar 28, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #6 of 21

Quote:
The Senn and AKG are quite amp dependent so that should be taken into account.

To the OP, this doesn't really apply to the 598, more so the 600.

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #8 of 21
Here are my opinions. I own Grado 225s (not i), Senn HD598, and have listened to the AKG K701 a lot. Here are some bands you listen to so you know my musical tastes: Exivious, Cloudkicker, Animals as Leaders, The Faceless, CAB, Sylosis, Rush, Billy Joel, Michael Jackson, and a little Dream Theater. So I think my tastes are somewhat in line with the OP

Grado SR325i - Liked the 225 better. These are my main headphones. I'm a huge fan of the Grado treble. It makes the drums sound amazing. Cymbals sounds more realistic, snare sounds like its right there. Fantastic headphones.

HD598 - I got these to try the Senn sound. They are ok. Highs aren't nearly as good as the Grados. Sound pretty laid back. More bass than the SR225, but not a ton of bass

AKG K701 - People say these have a huge soundstage and great sound. I don't really like them. Highs sound artificial, lacking bass, and by no means am I a basshead (yes they were properly amped). I could see how they might be nice for classical, or something like that, but for me these just don't do it.

DT880 - I've wanted to try these, but don't know anyone that has them or any place that sells them around me. Would buy a pair, but need to feed my other hobby (bike racing)

Those are just my opinions. Don't tell me the K701's weren't burned in enough or anything, because burn in is a myth. 

Good luck with your decision.

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #9 of 21
First of all thank you everyone for your interest and your comments, it's being very helpful for me.

Quote:

Jorgillu what are your sonic preferences? I'm not so acquainted with Shure that I know their general soung signature =/

Quote:
What are your preferences in terms of what sound signature you are looking for? Bass heavy? Detail? Neutral sound? Musical? Analytical? What genres do you listen to?

I think I am a neutral guy :) , I mean I like bass I really want to hear it, but I don't need a heavy one, and same for highs and I really like and I really appreciate a detailed signature. I think quality, not quantity is what I'm looking for.

I listen mostly to progressive rock (Godspeedyou Black Emperor, Explosions in the Sky...) and pure rock (even sometimes some indie, but not frequently)

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #10 of 21

Quote:
hmm....Open cans in the Office? Are you sure that's okay?

Just making sure.

Nice point, I think I am not really sure, but I'm tired of using IEM 6 hours a day, I've started thinking it is not good for my ears...

And (from what I've read) full size closed cans are not as good as open (I am also open to hear some comments about this point), but probably I should consider them also...

Mar 29, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
Sure, I've included them... Which are the main differences between HD598 and HD600?

http://www.headfonia.com/hd600-and-hd598-comparison/
That answer above question

If you are neutral guy I think K701 or HD600 would be the best bet
They both required heavy amp to exceed their true potential , but you can always upgrade that later. I think D12 would be enough to make them shine

Mar 29, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
http://www.headfonia.com/hd600-and-hd598-comparison/
That answer above question

If you are neutral guy I think K701 or HD600 would be the best bet
They both required heavy amp to exceed their true potential , but you can always upgrade that later. I think D12 would be enough to make them shine

Thank you for the info, the comparation is very helpful. I think I would prefer HD600 because of the bass against K701.

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
Nice point, I think I am not really sure, but I'm tired of using IEM 6 hours a day, I've started thinking it is not good for my ears...

And (from what I've read) full size closed cans are not as good as open (I am also open to hear some comments about this point), but probably I should consider them also...

Open headphones are very open.
If there are others in your work area, everyone near you will be able to hear exactly what music you're playing unless the volume is turned down quite low.
I would recommend you look into Denon D2000's

Also, to reiterate others, most of the headphones you are considering are going to require an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back