Grado SR325i, AKG K701, or Beyer DT880?
Feb 19, 2008 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

pez

Headphoneus Supremus
Well lately, I have been having a very bad case of upgraditis. I have been able to hold back, but let me tell you the situation. I will be recieving a reciever soon (Onkyo TX-SR303), and I am going to connect my HPM-1500's to them and run them off of my computer (Apple Lossless Encoded tracks). Here's the deal, I want to cure my "upgraditis" for a while and get these supposedly "all-rounders". The catch might you ask? Are they good for metal/rock/indie and some (female vocal) jazz here and there. I want more bass than my Grado SR60s, but not muddy bass, which I doubt these have, but I want to know, would it be worth me buying these? I love my Grados, this cmoy amp with bass boost makes the bass on them perfect and warm. Also, I would like to know if this reciever...will be good for the headphones, as I plan to run them out of that...but will my cMoy suffice until I get a better amp too? I'm not worried about comfort as I've never seen anyone complain about that (that's why I'm vearing off of the Grado's, as if I'm going to spend ~$300, I'm going to be putting a lot of hours into them, already put at least 200 hours into my Grados). So anything you can say about these will be helpful to me, as I am clueless.

EDIT: Title change :p.

Thanks,
Pez

Feb 19, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well lately, I have been having a very bad case of upgraditis. I have been able to hold back, but let me tell you the situation. I will be recieving a reciever soon (Onkyo TX-SR303), and I am going to connect my HPM-1500's to them and run them off of my computer (Apple Lossless Encoded tracks). Here's the deal, I want to cure my "upgraditis" for a while and get these supposedly "all-rounders". The catch might you ask? Are they good for metal/rock/indie and some (female vocal) jazz here and there. I want more bass than my Grado SR60s, but not muddy bass, which I doubt these have, but I want to know, would it be worth me buying these? I love my Grados, this cmoy amp with bass boost makes the bass on them perfect and warm. Also, I would like to know if this reciever...will be good for the headphones, as I plan to run them out of that...but will my cMoy suffice until I get a better amp too? I'm not worried about comfort as I've never seen anyone complain about that (that's why I'm vearing off of the Grado's, as if I'm going to spend ~$300, I'm going to be putting a lot of hours into them, already put at least 200 hours into my Grados). So anything you can say about these will be helpful to me, as I am clueless.

Thanks,
Pez

you might want to look into DT880s if you're looking for rock,metal, etc as well as jazz. K701 is extremely picky for amplification and DT880 is more grado-like, while performing well on slower stuff as well. Metal and Hard rock sounds only okay on K701s - large soundstage may make it seem more distant. I have not tried Cmoy amp myself, but DT880 runs fine on most portable amps and cheaper than K701s.
I hope that helped!

Feb 19, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #3 of 69
Yeah, I had noticed those...So what do you guys think, I know that the DT880's are comfy as well, so I guess it would between those two.

Feb 19, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #4 of 69
I just noticed, but the DT880's have a 250 impedance, and the AKG's have a 62 so how would the AKG's be more power hungry?

Feb 19, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 69
Quote:

I just noticed, but the DT880's have a 250 impedance, and the AKG's have a 62 so how would the AKG's be more power hungry?

AKGs drive more like 300 ohms - dont let the resistance fool you
biggrin.gif

AKGs are not power hungry - they are just extremely picky about amping for good sound. Canamp, BADA PH-12, Darkvoice, Woo WA6 are few of the good amps for K701s, where DT880s are easier to drive (it sounded great from my Corda MOVE).

Feb 19, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 69
I have to say I like my 701's more for classical. They don't play The Crystal Method well at all. They can't pound you with the very deep base notes. However, for anything where detail matters, for me they're making me want to get a new DAC.

Feb 19, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #7 of 69
I find the bass on my 701s to be quite satifactory. Not *exaggerated*, but deep and tight.

For rock, I don't like them quite as much as my Grado SR-225s, but it's not a huge gap. For more instrumental/vocal driven stuff (as opposed to guitar stuff) like Pink Floyd, I actually prefer the 701.

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #8 of 69
Hmm is there anyone here that's tried the Beyer's? I'm really taking an interest to those.

EDIT: With that reciever, will I even need to use an amplifier than?

Feb 19, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #9 of 69
Gonna give this a morning bump with a bit of a title change. I really could use any type of opinions/advice. I'll throw the Grado SR325i into the decision since the Grados are very comfortable to me since I've bent the headband enough. So there it is.

1) AKG K701
2)Beyer DT880
or
3)Grado SR325i

Feb 20, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #11 of 69
Hmm now i don't know :O...come on I know a bunch of people own each of these phones. I at least want to know there sound sigs and what music they're suited for...

Maybe compared to SR60's?

Feb 20, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #12 of 69
Quote:

Lower impedance cans require more current, higher impedance cans require more voltage.

Feb 20, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #13 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lower impedance cans require more current, higher impedance cans require more voltage.

lol, I'm not sure what that means exactly?

Feb 20, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #15 of 69
You have good advice already regarding the 880 and the 701.

The 880 is more forward and grado like than the 701. The 701 is more spacious and has a bigger soundstage, but lacks impactfull and full bass. The 880 has more bass, but still not tons. The 880 has brighter highs to my ear with a bit of the the grado metallicness on the highs. Sounds good on some songs and ok on others. Soundstage is still big on the 880s. Can't comment on the 325s.

If you listen to rock more, get the 880s. If you like chamber music, go for the 701s. Thats my opinion. 880s still sound great with classical though, but they are just a bit less airy sounding and a tad too bright on the high end. I find that i can just reduce all frequencies except for 32 and 64 and the problem takes care of itself though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back