Grado SR325i, AKG K701, or Beyer DT880?
Feb 20, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #16 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by captainbrendo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have good advice already regarding the 880 and the 701.

The 880 is more forward and grado like than the 701. The 701 is more spacious and has a bigger soundstage, but lacks impactfull and full bass. The 880 has more bass, but still not tons. The 880 has brighter highs to my ear with a bit of the the grado metallicness on the highs. Sounds good on some songs and ok on others. Soundstage is still big on the 880s. Can't comment on the 325s.

If you listen to rock more, get the 880s. If you like chamber music, go for the 701s. Thats my opinion. 880s still sound great with classical though, but they are just a bit less airy sounding and a tad too bright on the high end. I find that i can just reduce all frequencies except for 32 and 64 and the problem takes care of itself though!

Yeah, I do listen to a lot more rock/metal, so DT880's sound good. One more question, I see you have the SR60's, how would you compare them to the DT880's? (especially bass and warmness wise). And also, where are good places to find them for the cheapest (that would be nice
biggrin.gif
).

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #17 of 69
I used to own MS2i, pretty much 325i, and replaced them with DT880 which imo surpassed Alessandros in build quality, comfort, and sound department, whilst resembling somewhat Gradoish signature.

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #18 of 69
Check out the following places for buying the cans:
Moon audio (lowest price usually, but stock needs to be verified + u need to email them).

Decibel-AUdio - same as moon, slightly more , better stock i think.

TTVJ - Great guy to deal with. U can call him. But prices tend to be higher than the other two, still lower than retail.

If u find a cheaper but authorised dealer, lemme know as I am close to pulling the trigger on the 880 (or 701) - I still havent finalised...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 20, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #19 of 69
Quick question as I would be mad at myself for buying the wrong thing. What is the difference b/w a site saying DT880 Pro and DT880? Is there a difference? Amazon's stock doesn't say pro, just premium...please help. I won't be getting these for a while, but I still would like to know.

Feb 20, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #21 of 69
NOTE: TTVJ has them $280, cheapest I've seen from a trusted online e-tailer. Also, It would be my first time ordering from him, so an extra $10 off would make it 270...I'm liking this...helps me out a little.

Feb 20, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #23 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's all right.. I've seen pairs around 200-220$ and buy.com + Amazon has them for 230$

I dont see them on buy.com
Amazon resellers have them for 220-230 with shipping.
I wonder if the warranty will still hold if I buy from these resellers?

Feb 20, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #24 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont see them on buy.com
Amazon resellers have them for 220-230 with shipping.
I wonder if the warranty will still hold if I buy from these resellers?

I think so, as long as you provide the recipt you got from those websites and send it to Beyer directly.

Feb 20, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #25 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question as I would be mad at myself for buying the wrong thing. What is the difference b/w a site saying DT880 Pro and DT880? Is there a difference? Amazon's stock doesn't say pro, just premium...please help. I won't be getting these for a while, but I still would like to know.

Old style buttoned replaceable headband and coiled cable. Aimed for studio use. No SQ or any other differences. Someone mentioned tighter clamp, but that's easily achievable with regular model by just bending headband.

Try TTVJ and B&H, click email me a better price.

Feb 20, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #26 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Old style buttoned replaceable headband and coiled cable. Aimed for studio use. No SQ or any other differences. Someone mentioned tighter clamp, but that's easily achievable with regular model by just bending headband.

Try TTVJ and B&H, click email me a better price.

yeah, TTVJ was the one where I am able to get it for $270. The old version has a coiled cable right? not the new version? (the one I'll be buying.) Because a coiled cable will turn me off in a quick second.

Feb 20, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #28 of 69
For a stock offering, I am veering heavily in the direction of AKG K501 w/K701 earpads (caution: the K701 pads work best with the "bass-light" version of the K501). No contest in my mind: you get the beautiful, seamless mids of the K501, plus the added punch and richness of the K701. : )

325i make a nice, tidy listen, with their trademark, extended highs, but ultimately lack the midrange integrity of the K501 w/K701 pads. I'm no fan of the DT880/2005, but the DT880/2003 were one of my favorites.

Feb 20, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #29 of 69
I'm happy I found a customer for my MS2i's in another forum. The DT880 Pro's stay at home. Great headphones! I made a AB comparison between the pro and non-pro version, and the Pro is better for me. I explained it several times. Please find my posts regarding this matter. The SR325i's also stay, they have that wow factor which is missing in the Alessandro's. BTW, there is even lesser difference between the MS2i's and the DT880 Pro's than between the the SR325i's and the DT's but the existing differences are mostly things that the MS2i's are lacking for my needs.

Feb 20, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #30 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, TTVJ was the one where I am able to get it for $270. The old version has a coiled cable right? not the new version? (the one I'll be buying.) Because a coiled cable will turn me off in a quick second.

I was answering your question on Pro version, these are the differences, old style headband and coiled cable. Nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back