Grado SR325i, AKG K701, or Beyer DT880?
Feb 20, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #31 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was answering your question on Pro version, these are the differences, old style headband and coiled cable. Nothing else.

What do you mean saying nothing else? The soundstage is different. The Pro's have it closer, you can almost touch instruments from the foreground while the background is at some distance. In the stock DT880's it is more like everything in the background, more laid back, back or middle row instead of front row in the concert hall. It's not like in Grados because it's wider, higher, with well presented depth and starts near you. In non-Pro version it's more like all is further. Tonally, they're about the same.

Feb 20, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #32 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean saying nothing else? The soundstage is different. The Pro's have it closer, you can almost touch instruments from the foreground while the background is at some distance. In the stock DT880's it is more like everything in the background, more laid back, back or middle row instead of front row in the concert hall. It's not like in Grados because it's wider, higher, with well presented depth and starts near you. In non-Pro version it's more like all is further. Tonally, they're about the same.

I did mentioned clamp previously, didn't I? Bend headband on the regular model and you'll get the same effect. The internals are 100% identical.

Feb 20, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #33 of 69
So I'm confused...should I just get the regular version from TTVJ or the pros, which I can't find anywhere?

Feb 21, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #34 of 69
regular ones
biggrin.gif
sorry for the confusion.
They go for 230 @ amazon and buy.com

Feb 21, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #36 of 69
I was in you place over the summer, and I ended up buying HD650s (300$ new) to complement my SR225s and ended emptying my wallet for a 250$ darkvoice 336i. I love the HD650s, but i turn to my grados almost as much, if not more then the senns. Ive been curious to hear the MS2 (299$), and have been itching to try the high end grados. I would look at the Beyers or the Senns (600s or 650s), but if you think youll spend money on an amp too, just get one of the upper level grados, i wish i had bought RS2/RS1s instead of the senns/darkvoice.

Feb 21, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #37 of 69
Well I definitely won't have money for the RS series. So I think I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the DT880's. What's wrong with the DT770s? How are they compared to 880's? (besides being closed phones)

Feb 21, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #38 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I definitely won't have money for the RS series. So I think I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the DT880's. What's wrong with the DT770s? How are they compared to 880's? (besides being closed phones)

DT770s are extremely bass heavy 'phones - I personally can't stand overpowering, uncontrolled bass. Quite a lot of head-fier are fond of them though. probably the least balanced phones I have heard.

I'll pick quick, lean and defined bass over strong, slow, uncontrolled bass any day.
AD2000 is the only bass heavy 'phone that I've liked - unbelievely quick bass and extension and good quality of bass! but they're around 700$ new so I won't be getting them just yet
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #40 of 69
OK, to determine which I buy, I need to know if my volume knob-less cMoy will be enough to power these Beyers until I'm able to get a good amp? I know the Grados will be fine, as the SR60's sound perfect out of the cMoy.

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #41 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, to determine which I buy, I need to know if my volume knob-less cMoy will be enough to power these Beyers until I'm able to get a good amp? I know the Grados will be fine, as the SR60's sound perfect out of the cMoy.

Just to give you an idea, my Corda Headsix is able to drive mt DT880s.. Trust me you can't go wrong with the Beyers, they are IMO better than the Grados 225 and 335. I don't know the AKG 701 but I can tell you that the DT880s are better than my AKG 271s.

Cheers

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #42 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to give you an idea, my Corda Headsix is able to drive mt DT880s.. Trust me you can't go wrong with the Beyers, they are IMO better than the Grados 225 and 335. I don't know the AKG 701 but I can tell you that the DT880s are better than my AKG 271s.

Cheers

DT880>K701 when it comes to details and immensive experience
K701>DT880 when it comes to instrument separation, neutrality and soundstage. IMO

I like K701 better by a hair - much much harder to find right amping though.

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #43 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT880>K701 when it comes to details and immensive experience
K701>DT880 when it comes to instrument separation, neutrality and soundstage. IMO

I like K701 better by a hair - much much harder to find right amping though.

For Prog, Rock and Metal the DT880s seems to be better
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #44 of 69
Quote:

Cheers

Both have strong and weak points, like mids and bass on K271S, for instance, are better, they also not as dry as Beyers, which on the other hand win in soundstage and details department. Beyers are brighter too, not in unpleasant way, and that helps with details extraction, but something to consider for people sensitive to highs. Overall I would probably pick DT880 over K271 too, but unfortunately they are not closed.

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #45 of 69
Quote:

For Prog, Rock and Metal the DT880s seems to be better
wink.gif

yup! -they are more forward and grado-like compared to K701.
K701 excels in jazz, blues, new-age, anything live, folk, and classical music.
About that classical music - WOW!! only can that does better classical music would be K501 by a hair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back