Grado SR325i, AKG K701, or Beyer DT880?
Mar 19, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #61 of 69
I know this thread is old, but I'm starting to get closer, financial wise, to purchase these. I want to clarify. The newer versions of the DT880's (from TTVJ) do not have coiled cable, and will run fine from my cMoy?

Mar 20, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #62 of 69
How are the Grado SR225's? I really like that Grado sound, and I'm afraid the Beyer's would be too different. The reason I didn't mention the SR325i's was because of the "brightness and really metallic" highs it supposedly has. I'm in it more for sound quality, but but value is a huge factor, too. Say, compare them tooooo the SR60's?

Dec 14, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #65 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper9395 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know the DT880's sound more 'Gradoish' but how do they compare to the HD650's and which is better for listening to rock/prog-rock

IMO, the 880's sound v. different -- & way better -- than any Grado I've heard (325i, SR-80, HP1).

The 2005 880s (and other beyers I've heard, incl. DT-990, 911, etc) are brighter , more fwd-sounding and more "dynamic" than Senns incl. 650. The beyers are better for TV/video as they bring out details in a soundtrack (music, effects, esp. dialog). 650's are more balanced, less glare, better (deeper) bass -- thay are, as many note, "darker". IMO, Senns are the most comfortable 'phone wrt skull fit and pads.

Dunno why the AKG 701s are so highly rated? IMO: too "glarey" and weak-sounding. That said, and IMO, 701's are better than Grado.

Dec 14, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #66 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this thread is old, but I'm starting to get closer, financial wise, to purchase these. I want to clarify. The newer versions of the DT880's (from TTVJ) do not have coiled cable, and will run fine from my cMoy?

I have never heard them from a cMoy, but out of a high performance mini3 they were unbearably terrible. Don't get the DT880 unless you have a good desktop amp. The DT880's performance is very dependent on the source.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are the Grado SR225's? I really like that Grado sound, and I'm afraid the Beyer's would be too different. The reason I didn't mention the SR325i's was because of the "brightness and really metallic" highs it supposedly has. I'm in it more for sound quality, but but value is a huge factor, too. Say, compare them tooooo the SR60's?

The SR325 is essentially more of the grado sound than the SR225... i.e more bright, more aggressive. And many people might find the SR325 to be too much of the Grado sound. There's a lot of threads in head-fi about the SR225 vs SR325, search for them.

And yes, the DT880 is quite different from the Grado sound, both are bright phones but depending on the amp DT880 leans a lot more towards the analytical and cold side than the colored and musical side of the Grados. Although not as near the analytical side as the K701. And many people find the mids of the DT880 to be a bit recessed. The DT880 can be a good rock can, but IMHO not as good as the Grados. The DT880, K701 and SR225/SR325 are all love it or hate it phones, which is why you are seeing so much "Grados/AKGs sucks" posts. If you do not have a chance to try out the phones the SR225 would probably be the safest choice, especially since you like the Grado's sound.

And yes, the SR60 isn't that far away from the SR225/SR325, but it's an indication of the SR60's insane value.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper9395 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know the DT880's sound more 'Gradoish' but how do they compare to the HD650's and which is better for listening to rock/prog-rock

The HD650 is on the dark and laid back side and IMHO are not really suitable for being rock cans, except for the softer, more mellow rock like Pink Floyd.

Dec 20, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #67 of 69
GRADOS WILL BLOW YOU AWAY

If you are familiar w/ the sound of SRs, you know what you'll be in for.

However, to get a real appreciable improvement, save a bit more $ and step up to RS-2s.

It doesn't matter what you are listening to; EQ if you like.

I just got mine and they are the last pair of cans I will ever buy.

Jun 27, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #69 of 69
Hey I'm going to bump this thread open maybe someone can help me here.
 I recently found a good pair of local deals and don't know which one to go for. 
i found a pair of Grado SR225i and a Fiio E7 amp for a $100.
And the other deal being AKG K501's and K240's headphones for the same price, $100. 

Im really wandering just between the 225i and the 501's and how they sound but maybe someone can way in on the extras that come with it 
Thanks in advance if anyone responds haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back