Grado SR325i, AKG K701, or Beyer DT880?
Feb 21, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #46 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both have strong and weak points, like mids and bass on K271S, for instance, are better, they also not as dry as Beyers, which on the other hand win in soundstage and details department. Beyers are brighter too, not in unpleasant way, and that helps with details extraction, but something to consider for people sensitive to highs. Overall I would probably pick DT880 over K271 too, but unfortunately they are not closed.

The mids of my DT880s are not dry when I use the Beyers with my Little Dot MKIII
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #47 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mids of my DT880s are not dry when I use the Beyers with my Little Dot MKIII
wink.gif

Sorry, I didn't mean dry 'mids' (they'd be rather recessed in comparison) but overall drier presentation. But with the right amp, that might not be an issue at all. With some transparent SS it shows through though. Which is not bad when you need a break after HD650.

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #48 of 69
Quote:

Sorry, I didn't mean dry 'mids' (they'd be rather recessed in comparison) but overall drier presentation. But with the right amp, that might not be an issue at all. With some transparent SS it shows through though. Which is not bad when you need a break after HD650.

I totally agree. You need a tube amp to exploit all the potential of the DT880s. (My Corda Headsix is also very good but you can't compare it to my Little Dot MKIII..)

BTW, I have purchased the velour pads + the cable from Headphile for my K271s
wink.gif

Cheers

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #49 of 69
Quote:

I totally agree. You need a tube amp to exploit all the potential of the DT880s. (My Corda Headsix is also very good but you can't compare it to my Little Dot MKIII..)

BTW, I have purchased the velour pads + the cable from Headphile for my K271s
wink.gif

Cheers

Grats, as long as it's AKG pads, as Beyer's did not work at all, I mean they fit, but sound like total ....

Feb 21, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #50 of 69
Quote:

Just to give you an idea, my Corda Headsix is able to drive mt DT880s.. Trust me you can't go wrong with the Beyers, they are IMO better than the Grados 225 and 335. I don't know the AKG 701 but I can tell you that the DT880s are better than my AKG 271s.

Cheers

not exactly sure what that's saying...does that mean my cMoy would do the job for now? Remember it has gain control and bass boost but no volume pot.

Feb 21, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #51 of 69
Quote:

I did mentioned clamp previously, didn't I? Bend headband on the regular model and you'll get the same effect. The internals are 100% identical.

The drivers are mounted in a different way, with other damping foam material. This is what guy from Beyerdynamic told me when asked but I haven't verified it for myself. So I'm just telling people what are the sonic differences, especially that you cannot guarantee that changing the clamping force will have the same results as choosing another model. The coiled wire is bothering for some. For me it's OK because I sit close to my rig and long cables tangle around my feet when left loose.

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #52 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not exactly sure what that's saying...does that mean my cMoy would do the job for now? Remember it has gain control and bass boost but no volume pot.

I suggest that you compare the technical details of your amp with this one from Meier. (The XXS has the same specs as my Corda Headsix.) Meier Audio

Cheers

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #53 of 69
Quote:

I suggest that you compare the technical details of your amp with this one from Meier. (The XXS has the same specs that my Corda Headsix.) Meier Audio

Cheers

so can you just say if it will be good enough? does anyone know? I'm saying this because i don't know the exact specs and the version of the amp is 1.48. So anyone know?

Feb 21, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #54 of 69
Quote:

so can you just say if it will be good enough? does anyone know? I'm saying this because i don't know the exact specs and the version of the amp is 1.48. So anyone know?

From what I see on the Chu Moy web site, it's gonna work fine.

Cheers

Feb 21, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #55 of 69
ok thanks...what's the the website?

Feb 22, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #56 of 69
so one question...I know the DT770's are bass heavy, but I like my bass, but is it too heavy and slow for metal/rock/indie/alternative? Is it worth the money to buy the DT770's or the DT880's?

Feb 22, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #57 of 69
Quote:

so one question...I know the DT770's are bass heavy, but I like my bass, but is it too heavy and slow for metal/rock/indie/alternative? Is it worth the money to buy the DT770's or the DT880's?

Absolutely not, unless you are planning to headphile them, but even then DT880 would rule anyway.

Feb 22, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #58 of 69
yeah i think you're right, but now I gotta start saving
biggrin.gif
..it's nice to know what I want before I get it
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #59 of 69
I am new to this world and own 701, and the ONE thing I take away it tight, clean and detailed mids and highs. I find the bass nice and tight, not muddy at all. They respond with what I throw at them. Powered by Darkvoice they do the job and WOW, but then again I push my listening volume with either Jazz or POP and Led Zep, these do their job.

Feb 23, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #60 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by robin-t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am new to this world and own 701, and the ONE thing I take away it tight, clean and detailed mids and highs. I find the bass nice and tight, not muddy at all. They respond with what I throw at them.

I agree. I own a K-701 for 2 weeks now (160 hours on them) and use a Meier Corda OPera to drive them. I really enjoy the crisp and neutral sound. Bass is thight and not muddy (depending on the quality of the recording ofcourse)

have fun, Jan-jaap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back