Grado RS1i or SR 325is for Metal and Punk
Jun 6, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #16 of 23

Quote:

Cos some said Arch Enemy is a death metal band, I just want to cover more genre to make sure I don't make some mistakes, but to me its more like a power/thrash band to me, not death metal anyway, edited
biggrin.gif

Here we go ...

This can get very heated, and I guess I have spent way too long in forums with some very sad individuals who dont want anything 'polluting' their precious death metal, but this is what I have been told:

Arch Enemy, along with many bands who take their inspiration from the 'Gothenburg Sound' are classed as 'melodeath' (note - NOT 'melodic death metal').

Melodeath isnt completely disavowed by this hardcore group of death metal devotees, but anything that strays into 'metalcore', 'nu-metal' (RIP) or, heaven forbid, 'screamo' usually is. A band might have spent many years releasing 'straight' death metal albums, but the day they release something more mainstream its usually the end of their 'cred' with the cool kids.

For those of us who favour In Flames, Dark Tranquility and (gasp) Deftones over purists like Opeth, we may as well hand any references to 'death metal' back to the chosen few and just enjoy our music. As for the church burners and their Satanist chums, that whole side of metal is just crazy.

Jun 15, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #17 of 23

Quote:
Like I said, the metal you listen to isn't all that complicated.  Like Negakinu said, none of the bands you listed are really death metal either.

@Negakinu, I don't find the DT880s too bright at all.  What I would not like listening to metal with is the HD600 which is just TOO smooth.  Of the cans I've heard, I think the HE-6 and T1 do metal best or possibly the HP-2.  Ortho drivers are just so damn fast that it gets all the details and layers all the instruments.

Agreed, followed by the D7K and HD800 for me.

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #18 of 23
I haven't heard the 325s but own the RS1i and used to own the RS2i. I listen to lots of punk and can say both the Grado RS series phones are great with punk but the edge definitely goes to the RS1i the extra sound stage and deeper bass impact makes just enough of a difference that once I auditioned the RS1i I knew that I would have to own it. 

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #19 of 23

Quote:
MS-2 is the can you're looking for. The metal can matches the 325 but is tuned to be less aggressive for the Euro market. Of all the Grados I've listened to, the MS-2 competes on it's own level above the rest for this kind of music. Get some flats and this itch will be scratched.

I think you maybe right, after owned HF2 and briefly listened a pair of sr325is (didn't like it), I realize I might not a big fan of grado's coloration. But I fall in love with the sound of alessandro ms1, so I assume alessandro sound maybe suit me better. I've ordered a pair of mspro, and can't wait to listen to it.

Jul 20, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #22 of 23

Quote:
The reviews I've read saids RS1i have more treble while HF2 have more bottom-end, I still wonder how does RS1i sounds like, but if  325s have same amount or even more detail as RS1is, I would definitely go for it, and also could save me a lot of money.
biggrin.gif

You could go listen to the RS1i (and the slightly cheaper RS2) at a hi-fi shop. FWIW I only use my RS1's for electronic/jazz/chamber music, anything heavy sounds a lot better on the HD600 but I don't know how these would compare with the more affordable 325s. I find the RS1 is simply too neutral across the spectrum to convey the proper amount of energy, with an emphasis on detail rather than punch.   

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #23 of 23
I bought mspro, sr325is, and rs1i within a month, I don't have rs1i with me at the moment (I asked my friend bought for me, they're now in different country
frown.gif
) so I can't make a comparison with the other two. To me, sr325is is WAY BETTER than mspro when playing metal tracks. Its clarity and agressiveness make metal so engaging, while OTOH, mspro sound boring, fat, and its bright mids (might due to synergy ploblems) is quite fatiging to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back