Grado RS1i or SR 325is for Metal and Punk
Jun 6, 2011 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Zuqi

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a pair of headphone for Metal and punk rock and now I want to choose from Grado RS1i and SR 325is.

I had a pair of HF2, although I like the apperance of this cans, and it did jazz, most kind of pop music really well, but most music I listen to are metal and punk, such as thrash/power metal such as the big 4, Arch Enemy, Iced earth, Avenged Sevenfold, and some punk rock such as greenday, the offspring and rise against etc., HF2 don't have the hot treble and punchy bass I want (the bass of HF2 is punchy but too smooth), Although its good for long term listening but its sounds too soft for me. So I sold it to a friend of mine a few days ago
frown.gif

Now I'm choosing between RS1i and SR325is, I use an ipod classic and a pico amp.

Could anyone give me some suggestions? Thanks.

Jun 6, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 23
If you have the money, definitely the RS1i between the two.  The type of metal you listen to isn't that complicated or I would have recommended the DT880 600 ohm or T1.  If you didn't listen to any punk, the beyers would be a definite choice even for more "simple" metal.

I would still say those two beyers are very good choice if not better than those grados.  The way I see it, you need soundstage for metal.  The added edge/coloration from grados is unnecessary for metal, only for those panzies who like grandpa guitar and rock but want a bit more kick but aren't man enough for real metal.  *don't take those words too seriously but it conveys a point*

Jun 6, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #3 of 23
For your music tastes I would definitely vote for SR325is
smile_phones.gif

I've listened to the HF2, SR325is and currently own the RS2. Between them the SR325is is unmatched in clarity and detail, which really does wonders for metal music.  Be advised though... they're also the brightest grado phones I've ever heard and they can be fatiguing. If you go with the SR325is and find the highs a bit much, I would highly recommend checking out the bilavideo mod. It'll tone down the brightness while still giving you that wonderful detail.

But yeah I have a strong hunch the RS1i wouldn't be your cup of tea if you didn't like the HF2. From what I've read the HF2 and RS1 are about the same level on the "hot treble" meter
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #4 of 23
Thanks for your advise, but IMO trash and death metal is a quite complicated type of metal.
Quote:
The type of metal you listen to isn't that complicated or I would have recommended the DT880 600 ohm or T1.  If you didn't listen to any punk, the beyers would be a definite choice even for more "simple" metal.

The way I see it, you need soundstage for metal. 

The music I listen to maybe don't require much soundstage, but need a lot of details and prat. Just my thought.

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #5 of 23

Quote:

I've listened to the HF2, SR325is and currently own the RS2. Between them the SR325is is unmatched in clarity and detail, which really does wonders for metal music.  Be advised though... they're also the brightest grado phones I've ever heard and they can be fatiguing. If you go with the SR325is and find the highs a bit much, I would highly recommend checking out the bilavideo mod. It'll tone down the brightness while still giving you that wonderful detail.

But yeah I have a strong hunch the RS1i wouldn't be your cup of tea if you didn't like the HF2. From what I've read the HF2 and RS1 are about the same level on the "hot treble" meter
biggrin.gif

Hmmm, based on your description I think maybe sr325is is what I am looking for. I love detail, although HF2 have plenty amount of detail in its smooth, full-body sound, but I do prefer a bit more crisp and clarity, I wouldn't worry about the "harsh treble" of the sr325is because I felt highs of HF2s are too rolled-off.

The reviews I've read saids RS1i have more treble while HF2 have more bottom-end, I still wonder how does RS1i sounds like, but if  325s have same amount or even more detail as RS1is, I would definitely go for it, and also could save me a lot of money.
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #6 of 23
I think grado RS1i are better because better instrument separation and clarity. But few others are really good for these genres like HD600, Pro 2900, Pro 900 and AD2000.

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #7 of 23
MS-2 is the can you're looking for. The metal can matches the 325 but is tuned to be less aggressive for the Euro market. Of all the Grados I've listened to, the MS-2 competes on it's own level above the rest for this kind of music. Get some flats and this itch will be scratched.

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #8 of 23

Quote:

I would still say those two beyers are very good choice if not better than those grados.  The way I see it, you need soundstage for metal.  The added edge/coloration from grados is unnecessary for metal, only for those panzies who like grandpa guitar and rock but want a bit more kick but aren't man enough for real metal.  *don't take those words too seriously but it conveys a point*

Funny how people have totally different opinions. In my opinion, you don't need a wide soundstage since most metal albums aren't produced to have soundstage in the studio. The recordings are typically narrow and compressed. You can't add or enhance what's not there in the first place. The DT880 is the headphone I least enjoy for my metal. Way too bright for distorted guitar and the soundstage takes a little of the directness/urgency of the genre away. I enjoy a properly amped HD580/HD600 most because of it's musical and fairly neutral signature. It packs a heavy punch though! :) I even prefer the HD25-1 II over the Grado's (although I must admit I've never heard a RS1i) because the Grado's grate my ears when listening to trebly guitar sounds. 

On a sillier and far more elitist note, none of the bands you listed come even close to death metal. 
wink_face.gif

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
On a sillier and far more elitist note, none of the bands you listed come even close to death metal. 
wink_face.gif

Cos some said Arch Enemy is a death metal band, I just want to cover more genre to make sure I don't make some mistakes, but to me its more like a power/thrash band to me, not death metal anyway, edited
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #11 of 23

Quote:
MS-2 is the can you're looking for. The metal can matches the 325 but is tuned to be less aggressive for the Euro market. Of all the Grados I've listened to, the MS-2 competes on it's own level above the rest for this kind of music. Get some flats and this itch will be scratched.

Thanks for your advise, but all I want is a pair of agessive can, as I said, HF2 is too mellow for my taste.

Jun 6, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuqi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The reviews I've read saids RS1i have more treble while HF2 have more bottom-end, I still wonder how does RS1i sounds like, but if  325s have same amount or even more detail as RS1is, I would definitely go for it, and also could save me a lot of money.
biggrin.gif

Though I haven't heard the RS1i, what you've said above is alot like how I would compare the RS2(the aggressive little brother of the RS1) and HF2. Although I thought the HF2 was technically a great headphone, it was really dark for my listening preferences.

I also happened to own the dt880 at one point. Again technically it was great(best soundstage I've ever heard in headphones), but for me they were waayy too airy. The voices and instruments had a natural sparkly sound but everything sounded too distant and really lacked that intimacy I like soo much about grados(hence why I'm such a grado freak)
smile_phones.gif

This is also the reason why I haven't bit the bullet on the RS1's yet.  They are often described as a close relative of the RS2's but with a wider soundstage, a little more airy, and slightly recessed mids. Although the lows go a little deeper apparently.  Frankly those common descriptions of the RS1 scare me a little bit. I've got to have the instruments right up in my face!
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
Quote:

Though I haven't heard the RS1i, what you've said above is alot like how I would compare the RS2(the aggressive little brother of the RS1) and HF2. Although I thought the HF2 was technically a great headphone, it was really dark for my listening preferences.

This is also the reason why I haven't bit the bullet on the RS1's yet.  They are often described as a close relative of the RS2's but with a wider soundstage, a little more airy, and slightly recessed mids. Although the lows go a little deeper apparently.  Frankly those common descriptions of the RS1 scare me a little bit. I've got to have the instruments right up in my face!
biggrin.gif

IMO HF2s are better for long term listening, its smooth, full-body sound make it suits more music genre, but nothing is perfect, it doesn't do hard music well (which I think, is grado's strength). HF2 is good, but it just not my cup of tea. Before I got my pico amp, I only use it once a week.
frown.gif

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #15 of 23

Quote:
Thanks for your advise, but IMO trash and death metal is a quite complicated type of metal.

Like I said, the metal you listen to isn't all that complicated.  Like Negakinu said, none of the bands you listed are really death metal either.

@Negakinu, I don't find the DT880s too bright at all.  What I would not like listening to metal with is the HD600 which is just TOO smooth.  Of the cans I've heard, I think the HE-6 and T1 do metal best or possibly the HP-2.  Ortho drivers are just so damn fast that it gets all the details and layers all the instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back