Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Sep 12, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #557 of 2,110
How about a pair of SR325is cans? Might not be exactly what you are looking for, but much cheaper (at least in the US).

If you're looking at saving $, I'd go with the SR225i....I liked them better than the SR325is.

Sep 12, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #559 of 2,110
Nice to have the aluminum cups though. Just something about them that''s hard to describe. Hard to go wrong with most Grado's though.

They're heavier and less comfy...and the treble...oh the treble. 
tongue.gif

I've owned pretty much every Grado from the SR-60 to the RS1 (twice) and here are the "sweet spots" IMO:

SR80i
SR225i
HF-2/PS500
RS1i

I wouldn't bother with any of the others through my experiences.

Sep 12, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #560 of 2,110
I agree they are heavy... impact and audio quality. I have no comfort issues, I think they are actually light - weight wise. They are my perfect headphone, treble is perfect to my ears. I would like to try the RS series and Hp1000 series though.

Sep 13, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #561 of 2,110

They're heavier and less comfy...and the treble...oh the treble. 
tongue.gif

I've owned pretty much every Grado from the SR-60 to the RS1 (twice) and here are the "sweet spots" IMO:

SR80i
SR225i
HF-2/PS500
RS1i

I wouldn't bother with any of the others through my experiences.

+1 completely agree.

they [the 325is] are quite uncomfortable. the chrome version which is kinda hard to find was the nicest of all, i really miss them, but i would just go for the PS500/HF-2 if you want metal, or the other grados like 225 or RS1i. 

the 325is are also quite bright for most people, they aren't unbearable though (like the PS1000 which actually gave me ringing and ear fatigue). i was able to enjoy the 325is, quite a bit, just not for long periods of time. i did love the 325is super detailed sound signature, they're great headphone, just not for all recordings and not for all ears.

Sep 13, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #562 of 2,110
I heard RA1 and RS1i at the local dealer today, and I gotta say: Man, the RA1 and RS1i is THE KING.

The amp was constantly bashed by peoples in this forum due to the cheap looking internal, I even believed these nonsense until I actually heard the combo.

Yes, they are that good. The sound stage wasn't huge, they also aren't the most accurate pairing, they even sound a slightly bit "veiled", compare to monster headphones such as HD800 and PS1000, but I don't care. Because when I hear the pairing, nothing distract me form the music. 

I've heard several flagship headphones, paired with amp and source which cost thousands of dollars, I was impressed by many of the pairings, but the RA1 and RS1i combo is by far, THE MOST enjoyable pairing I've ever heard.

Guys, you have to hear to believe.

Sep 13, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #563 of 2,110
I wouldnt consider rs1i to be veiled vs. ps1000. If anything the ps1000 presents more treble detail cause u shaped signature and the rs1i more midrange presence and detail. But in terms of transparency/resolution, i think theyre pretty equal i dont consider the ps1000 to be a step up in anyway at all.

Rs1i is my favorite Grado headphone btw, im rebuying it later this year after i finish with my amp upgrades, its a classic that deserves a spot next to my other flagships :D

Sep 13, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #564 of 2,110
Thanks for the input everyone. Thinking about saving some money and test out some grados next spring, when I'm a week in New York. Just have to keep myself from buying other audio stuff til then 
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #566 of 2,110
  I heard RA1 and RS1i at the local dealer today, and I gotta say: Man, the RA1 and RS1i is THE KING.

The amp was constantly bashed by peoples in this forum due to the cheap looking internal, I even believed these nonsense until I actually heard the combo.

Yes, they are that good. The sound stage wasn't huge, they also aren't the most accurate pairing, they even sound a slightly bit "veiled", compare to monster headphones such as HD800 and PS1000, but I don't care. Because when I hear the pairing, nothing distract me form the music.

I've heard several flagship headphones, paired with amp and source which cost thousands of dollars, I was impressed by many of the pairings, but the RA1 and RS1i combo is by far, THE MOST enjoyable pairing I've ever heard.

Actually, I believe the CMOY amps are of the same design as the Grado RA1.  You can spend $350 or so on the Grado amp and get the nice mahogany case, or spend $59 on the CMOY amp and get a nice Altoids tin for the case.  The RA1 also comes in two flavors - one is battery powered, and the other is A/C powered.

Link to the comparison: http://www.head-fi.org/t/91223/is-the-grado-ra-1-a-cmoy

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #568 of 2,110

Yeah, the MAD Ear+HD smokes the RA-1 (a $40 CMOY in a fancy case). 
smile.gif

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #569 of 2,110
I wouldnt consider rs1i to be veiled vs. ps1000. If anything the ps1000 presents more treble detail cause u shaped signature and the rs1i more midrange presence and detail. But in terms of transparency/resolution, i think theyre pretty equal i dont consider the ps1000 to be a step up in anyway at all.

Rs1i is my favorite Grado headphone btw, im rebuying it later this year after i finish with my amp upgrades, its a classic that deserves a spot next to my other flagships
biggrin.gif

In my opinion, the PS1000 are very source and amp dependant, but given the right setting, they are a step up from the RS1i in almost every way, they have deeper bass, as much midrange resolution, an airyer treble, and a wider and deeper soundstage.

And regarding the more recessed midrange of the PS1000, John Grado once said, you can't have it all, you can't have a big soundstage, and midrange presence.
  Paird with RA1, RS1i is not as detailed than other amps. Certainly the RS1i is as detailed as PS1000.

If i'm not mistaking, the RA1 was voiced with the RS1 in mind.

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #570 of 2,110

In my opinion, the PS1000 are very source and amp dependant, but given the right setting, they are a step up from the RS1i in almost every way, they have deeper bass, as much midrange resolution, an airyer treble, and a wider and deeper soundstage.

And regarding the more recessed midrange of the PS1000, John Grado once said, you can't have it all, you can't have a big soundstage, and midrange presence.

If i'm not mistaking, the RA1 was voiced with the RS1 in mind.

the HD 800 and Beyerdynamic T1 can certainly have it all 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back