Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Feb 6, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #286 of 2,110
Will I be able to find my RS1i serial number on the side of the cups?

I have just bought a used pair.

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #287 of 2,110
Will I be able to find my RS1i serial number on the side of the cups?

I have just bought a used pair.

Mine is etched into the back of the rod block (and also written on the box, but if you don't have the original box that doesn't help much). As far as I know it is written onto them with marker as well (as in, this was/is consistent practice), but it tends to rub off on older models iirc.

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #288 of 2,110
Quote:
Quote:
I actually LOVE the T1's, but I still love Grado RS1i's with flat pads more for anything that rocks out a lot. I found on rock recordings where I liked the transparency/detail etc. of the T1,

For the other stuff there are more moments for me where the fact that the RS1i colors the sound works to my great benefit in that it renders lousy recordings enjoyable.

and the T1 is a KILLER all arounder! They almost make me able to forgo the Grados.

+1

i ended up selling the rs1i and keeping the T1 though

been awhile since I've eaten my own hat, but it's time.The T1's have been growing on me as I've been breaking them in and a/b/c-ing them with my HD800 and RS1i. I now find that I can't forgo their sound: the Beyerdynamic T1 stays and the RS1i goes. I'm surprised to be making this choice but do so with much happiness. No regrets! These are very special headphones. I'm thrilled every time I put them on and hit play. 

T1 via Grant Fidelity TubeDac's tube out through an RSA HR2. Makes the T1 sing!!!   T1 powered by either of these 2 amps sounds almost as good, but the combination through the T1 is absolute magic. 

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #289 of 2,110
What am I giving up by going with RS-2i?

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #290 of 2,110
What am I giving up by going with RS-2i?

Can't speak to sound (I haven't heard the RS-2 :xf_eek:), but build-wise you give up some construction features (the RS-1 have metal gimbals, the RS-2 have plastic parts like the Prestige cans), and the RS-1 come with more accessories (which may or may not matter to you; I'm guessing it's probably in the "may not" category, but it's ~$65 of stuff if you bought it separately from Grado). Just based on specs, the RS-2 are lighter, and should probably be a bit more comfortable as a result of that.

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #291 of 2,110
New owner...serial number 9587 checking in.

Have only owned them for a few hours so far......they sound fantastic to say the least.

I have a question, however.

The rods seemed to be bent on both sides at the bottom, when they go into the gimbal.....is this normal.....I am thinking I may have a problem here.

Feb 9, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #294 of 2,110
OK....thanks alot guys.

I guess I was just alittle paranoid.

They sound absolutely fantastic, and I can not seem to take them off of my head..

I know most peoples complaints of grado cans are about comfort issues.

I have never found my 325i's uncomfortable, I suppose because I have small ears.

These RS1's are abit lighter than my 325i's.

My only real complaint about my 325i's is the small length of the cord....so I love having this Grado 15 ft. extension cable....it rocks.

I guess next, I will be investing in some different cushions to see what they bring to the table.

Like I tell my buddy all the time....I just can't imagine classic rock & roll without a pair of grados.

Thanks again for the info about the rods.

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #295 of 2,110
Quote:
Can't speak to sound (I haven't heard the RS-2
redface.gif
), but build-wise you give up some construction features (the RS-1 have metal gimbals, the RS-2 have plastic parts like the Prestige cans), and the RS-1 come with more accessories (which may or may not matter to you; I'm guessing it's probably in the "may not" category, but it's ~$65 of stuff if you bought it separately from Grado). Just based on specs, the RS-2 are lighter, and should probably be a bit more comfortable as a result of that.

Yeah, but what do you know anyway?

Just kidding!  Thanks for the feedback, sir! 
wink_face.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #296 of 2,110
Well, after a few days of listening to my RS1i....it is official. I will be selling my 325i's

I was planning on keeping both, because I love the in your face style of the 325's....but I just can't justify keeping both...even as much as I want too.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #297 of 2,110
Quote:
been awhile since I've eaten my own hat, but it's time.The T1's have been growing on me as I've been breaking them in and a/b/c-ing them with my HD800 and RS1i. I now find that I can't forgo their sound: the Beyerdynamic T1 stays and the RS1i goes. I'm surprised to be making this choice but do so with much happiness. No regrets! These are very special headphones. I'm thrilled every time I put them on and hit play. 

T1 via Grant Fidelity TubeDac's tube out through an RSA HR2. Makes the T1 sing!!!   T1 powered by either of these 2 amps sounds almost as good, but the combination through the T1 is absolute magic. 

Can you compare the T1 to the HD800? I'm tempted to pick up the 800 down the road, but need more opinions. The RS1i when I tried them sound great straight out of my iPhone, but were far too uncomfortable with stock pads.

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #298 of 2,110
Quote:
Quote:

Can you compare the T1 to the HD800? I'm tempted to pick up the 800 down the road, but need more opinions. The RS1i when I tried them sound great straight out of my iPhone, but were far too uncomfortable with stock pads.

the T1 is more round while the HD800 is oval... 

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #300 of 2,110
Quote:
Quote:

sorry, just kiddin'...

My findings with these cans are quite different from some of the comparisons I've read. Generally speaking the Senn HD800 is the best headphone I've ever heard. My experience stops short of electrostats, LCD-3 and whatever other $2k plus cans are out there. My pockets are not that deep.

I have owned the HE-6, PS1, AKG K1000, Ed 9 and Ed8, AT W-3000ANV, GS1000, very early RS1, RS1i, sr325, sr60, various other beyers and akg's, porta-pros and My First HighEnd Headphone by fisher price.

I get zero treble peaks and gobs of bass on the HD800(no, not like my old PS1s and Edition 9s, which i consider to be producers of uber bass). Many have said that the 800 has sub bass where the T1 does not, but that the T1's bass has more impact. But to my ear, the deeper bass on the HD800 translates as "mo' betta bass".  To me that has greater impact generally, even if to others the punch of the bass that the T1 does impart is stronger, in my listenening when I a/b these cans the HD800 is has more bass, period.

The HD800 is a very smooth sounding headphone. When I initially started comparing cans I thought I would be hitting my Rs1is for mellowing out the sound when required, but it is the HD800 I turn to if the highs are a bit bright or the recording just a bit too edgy for my taste. The HD800 smooths it out just the tiny tad that makes the difference. In the long run will I find recordings that need more coloring to go down smoothly? Could be, and if so I may get another pair of RS1i's. But last week when comparing cans, after getting used to the T1 and HD800, I did not like the bass on the RS1i as I used to, nor was I as satisfied with the soundstage and imaging. The T1s and HD800s are just too good in those areas and though I wish the T1 had sub bass, I am not longing for the RS1i bass. I know, it is sacriledge!

The HD800 is a whole other beast when it comes to soundstage. The T1 has great imaging and it not as confined to a smaller area as an rs1i/ps1, but the HD800 is simply expansive. 

MANY recordings sound better to me on the HD800. Some few can seem a bit "distant" or spread too thin. When I switch to the HD800 I find that the voicing is so completely different, that if the HD800 is leaving me less than awed, the T1 steps up to the plate and blows me away(I know, pretty technical huh?).  Likewise whenI've been grooving under the T1's and put something on that doesn't wow me (or has the aforementioned treble issues), switching to the HD800 seems to just about always do the trick.

In ways - super detail, transparent highs, etc they can seem similar on some recordings at a quick listen, but since setting myself up to a/b them I can always hear quite a different sonic presentation when going from one to the other. Instruments and voices are highlighted differently to much affect between the two.

There are times when the T1's punch/prat is what's called for, and times when it's voicing brings out a harmony vocal to an amazing amount; but there are times when the Senn's huge staging surprisingly hits the ball outta the park. people have often generalized and said "well, the hd800 is great for symphonic music". Well, it is, but it also gets my pick as 1st choice for a lot of my classic rock recordings, jazz, and "folk".

I'm gonna hit post before I loose this. will touch it up a bit later.   

oh, the hd800's are super comfortable. I am also good under the T1's, but the HD800 probably a bit more so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back