Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Dec 18, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #1,966 of 2,110

I share your opinion 100%.
beerchug.gif

This means that my buttoned n.o.s. RS1 are a bit older than I thought. This also means, that there might be some buttonless RS1, that have the larger 8 conductors cables, out there.

I don't like this way of doing things, because it creates a lot of confusion for the costumers.

I don't think it causes any confusion for customers at all, frankly; or at least not confusion for what would most likely be the bread-and-butter customer. It certainly causes confusion for those who would try to classify something that by its production defies classification, and it certainly isn't enthusiast friendly in that regard. It's just not a mass produced thing, and I'm sure things would be different if it was mass produced. Grado can't really BE Grado and at the same time change their bin method of component assembly. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #1,967 of 2,110
But it gives Grado the opportunity to do large scale testing of components before commercially releasing the product under the new name/version. It is "a" strategy that works apparently...

Of course it works....the majority of customer don't know that they're buying ''Frankenstein'' headphones, if they did, some of them would probably decide to wait for the final version to hit the stores, I know I would.

Imagine you come over to my place to listen to my RS1i. You love them and decide to buy yourself a pair, a few day later, they arrive, they look like mine, but they have red drivers 
eek.gif

....need I say more!
rolleyes.gif

If Grado insists on producing ''Frankenstein'' transitionnal models, their customers should be informed. I also think that the price should be set accordignly.

Not that long ago, I've bought a pair of n.o.s RS1, and if I would've recieved a pair of RS1i, I would've send them right back.

Dec 18, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #1,968 of 2,110

I don't think it causes any confusion for customers at all, frankly; or at least not confusion for what would most likely be the bread-and-butter customer. It certainly causes confusion for those who would try to classify something that by its production defies classification, and it certainly isn't enthusiast friendly in that regard. It's just not a mass produced thing, and I'm sure things would be different if it was mass produced. Grado can't really BE Grado and at the same time change their bin method of component assembly. 

''No confusion at all'', you can't be serious!  Tons of posts were written about this, when the e serie first came out,  even Grado's hardcore fans didn't know what to make of this.

Like I said above,, if they insist on producing ''Frankensteins'', they should at least let their cutomers know exactly what they're buying. 

Dec 19, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #1,972 of 2,110
OK guys My RS1i says RS1 on the cans and has black drivers. Did the RS1i's not have RS1i on the cans??

The RS1i has the same chamber material as the original RS1, the RS1e has a different chamber material/treatment and has RS1e printed on it.

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #1,974 of 2,110
The RS1i has the same chamber material as the original RS1, the RS1e has a different chamber material/treatment and has RS1e printed on it.

I know that the RS1 have the 4 conductors cable, and the RS1i has 8, but can you tell me if the RS1 an RS1i both have the same drivers?

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #1,975 of 2,110
I know that the RS1 have the 4 conductors cable, and the RS1i has 8, but can you tell me if the RS1 an RS1i both have the same drivers?

You can email Grado and ask them I guess... I have never "experienced" the original RS1

Dec 19, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #1,977 of 2,110
You can email Grado and ask them I guess... I have never "experienced" the original RS1

Let's just say that I've never had much sucess with Grado's customer service department.

I believe the voice coil was supposed to be "improved" on the (i) series, but don't quote me on this.

Thanks Buddy.
beerchug.gif

By the way, as much as I like my PS1k, my GH-1, and mt HP1000, when I listen to female vocals, or small venue recordings in general, I prefer my RS1, to all of them.

How about you?   

Dec 19, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #1,978 of 2,110

Thanks Buddy.
size]

By the way, as much as I like my PS1k, my GH-1, and mt HP1000, when I listen to female vocals, or small venue recordings in general, I prefer my RS1, to all of them.

How about you?   

Funny you should ask this, I had my RS1i on last night listening to the Carpenters and Karen's voice sounded like she was singing to me! Grado' in generaal just has the best vocals.

Dec 19, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #1,979 of 2,110
Funny you should ask this, I had my RS1i on last night listening to the Carpenters and Karen's voice sounded like she was singing to me! Grado' in generaal just has the best vocals.

Agreed, female vocals, RS1i does the best, except for Loreena McKennit, the GS1000 is the winner. Currently listening to The Police (Ghost in the Machine LP) with the RS1i, absolutely awesome.

LP -> Grado Gold -> Grado PH-1 -> Grado RA-1 -> Grado RS1i

All works together so well!

Dec 19, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #1,980 of 2,110
Agreed, female vocals, RS1i does the best, except for Loreena McKennit, the GS1000 is the winner. Currently listening to The Police (Ghost in the Machine LP) with the RS1i, absolutely awesome.

LP -> Grado Gold -> Grado PH-1 -> Grado RA-1 -> Grado RS1i

All works together so well!

But…the PS1K has the richest vocals of all the Grado's I've heard.
I'm just waiting for my PS1Ke to burn-in and see if the vocals are as rich.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back