Grado RS1i Impressions thread
May 13, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #1,831 of 2,110
Thought I post here but I put them for sale on the FS/FT forum. I am gearing up to sell my Grado RS1i (no button model). They are in mint condition with about 200 hours. They come with the original box. If you are interested, PM me.

May 13, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #1,832 of 2,110
  Thought I post here but I put them for sale on the FS/FT forum. I am gearing up to sell my Grado RS1i (no button model). They are in mint condition with about 200 hours. They come with the original box. If you are interested, PM me.

blink.gif

May 13, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #1,833 of 2,110
May 13, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #1,834 of 2,110
  I know! I know! I can't believe I am doing it. Maybe no one will want them and I will HAVE to keep them 
gs1000.gif

''Maybe no one will want them'', you do know that the RS1e are THE less appreciated e serie's model, right?

I don't have to tell you that this plays in your favor. I think that as long as you keep your price close, or ideally a bit below the price of the similar sounding RS2e, you shouldn't have any problem selling you RS1i.

Good luck.

May 13, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #1,836 of 2,110

I appreciate your honesty, because the way Grados are packaged, It would be easy for you to install new earpads, and pass them off as, ''brand new, in the box''.

A few weeks ago, I ordered a pair of new old stock, RS1. These headphones have been out of production for 9 years now. I was very skeptical, but I have no reasons to think that they're not what LPGear said they were.

May 13, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #1,839 of 2,110
  I picked up a set of PS500e's today at B&H.

After a short listening session, I'm quite surprised
at the differences between them and my RS1i's.

Hope to write a "real" comparison review
very shortly down the road.

Look forward to reading your findings!

May 14, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #1,841 of 2,110
Initial impressions of RS1i vs PS500e - (not likely to change)

PS500e are more dynamic, more exciting, more "here";
Soundstage front to back is slightly deeper
Metallic instruments like cymbals, triangles, bells, seem more "metallic"
This is an especially notable difference to my ears
Bass more solid and focused (tho' they are not "bassier" per se)

RS1i's are more relaxed, highs are a bit softer, soundstage top to bottom a bit larger
Gentler on the eardrums 
A great, great sound as we all know.

Choosing between these two?
At the moment, I'm flummoxed.

They're different enough to have both in the stable..

Jun 13, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #1,843 of 2,110
Hello,
I hope this is the right place to post this. I am the happy owner of a pair of Grado RS1, recently bought. I like the quality of sound, the signature, and appreciate the good portability as I'm quite often on the move.
Only thing I do not really enjoy is comfort. I find that after 1 hour max I have to take them out, pressure on my ear pad becoming a bit annoying.
Hence two questions: the first is whether this problem can be fixed, for example by changing ear pad model. I've read others had this problem.

Second question is: what alternative to the Grado RS1 you would suggest me. Requirement: same or higher quality level, more comfort, open, good portability (should be possible to place them in a reasonably small pouch, as is the case with the Grado). I am open also to other kind of signatures. I only listen to classical music.
Thanks

Jun 13, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #1,844 of 2,110
  Hello,
I hope this is the right place to post this. I am the happy owner of a pair of Grado RS1, recently bought. I like the quality of sound, the signature, and appreciate the good portability as I'm quite often on the move.
Only thing I do not really enjoy is comfort. I find that after 1 hour max I have to take them out, pressure on my ear pad becoming a bit annoying.
Hence two questions: the first is whether this problem can be fixed, for example by changing ear pad model. I've read others had this problem.

Second question is: what alternative to the Grado RS1 you would suggest me. Requirement: same or higher quality level, more comfort, open, good portability (should be possible to place them in a reasonably small pouch, as is the case with the Grado). I am open also to other kind of signatures. I only listen to classical music.
Thanks

HD700's to me sound like a slightly more analytical version of the RS1i but that may just be me. Also try the larger cush pads 

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #1,845 of 2,110
  Hello,

Thanks

Grado recommends you stretch the headband outwards (a bit) to increase comfort. This will reduce the clamping force.

As far as different pads, you could always try different pads for comfort, but they will all change the sound. Some a little bit, some a lot, but they will never sound the same as the original Grado pads. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as you may find you prefer one over the other. If your in the U.S., I recommend you try the $10 EarZonk ear pads on Amazon. They are more comfortable, IMO, and also a fun alternative the the original ear pads. There is also the yellow Sennheiser HD414 pads and maybe even the TTVJ flat pads you could try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back