Grado RS-1i. Holy cow these sound amazing!
Sep 25, 2011 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

TwoTrack

500+ Head-Fier
These new cans just keep getting better every day.  Finally, after some 90 hours of break-in these phones are providing timbral accuracy, instrument separation, deep tight bass, amazing mids, and clear highs.

They are expensive at $700 but what a great investment.  I'm getting excellent sound just from my 5G 30 gig iPod.

The balance is a bit better than the RS-2i I had for two weeks but that is also a great deal at $200 less, especially if you don't need the extension cord that comes with it.

The RS-1i does sound a bit nicer with a headphone amp but they sound damn good with an iPod.  They even sound good on my iPhone 4 with EQu app.

Highest recommendation.

smile_phones.gif

Sep 25, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 44
Congrats, the rs1s still are one of the best headphones, especially unamped.

Sep 25, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 44
I liked them, but the bowl pads are so uncomfortable.  I ended up keeping the pair of DT990's I compared against the RS-1i.  I did have a similar reaction at fist like  you did.

If you get a chance try a pair of DT990 ( 250 Ohm ) sometime with your Benchmark.

Sep 25, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 44
Thanks, I had a pair of 990s a while back and really liked them as well but I have not heard them with the Benchmark.

Quote:
I liked them, but the bowl pads are so uncomfortable.  I ended up keeping the pair of DT990's I compared against the RS-1i.  I did have a similar reaction at fist like  you did.

If you get a chance try a pair of DT990 ( 250 Ohm ) sometime with your Benchmark.

Sep 25, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 44
This made me smile quite a bit...

Theres all this talk about new gear coming out every week and how everybody flocks to it, but for the money and the minimum requirements to run them, I may never switch can brands ever at this rate...

Run an LOD from your ipod to an amp, or LOD to RCA's into a stereo receiver and thats where the magic happens :)

The Grados are really sensitive to noise, so once you get a clean signal, thats where the holiest of holy listening experiences come alive... I remember the first time I sat down with nothing but a portable dac/amp strapped to a laptop in a starbucks study room alone with SR-225's and that was the day I quit head-fi for like a year and a half.

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 44
Thanks Chris.  I will definitely explore that option soon.

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #8 of 44
i haven't heard the rs1s, but i've heard the gs 1000 (i loved them loved the bass on them too, but the soundstage was too wide for me). i heard the rs2 (detailed but not much more than the 325s and very bright which is why i didn't buy), are the rs1s less bright? (the 325's i know are bright, but after 50 hours of burn in, they improved and now i love the detail from the 325s more than the hd 650s) im loving my 325's alot.

oh btw, are dt 990s less recessed as far as mids are concerned compared to the dt 770 80 ohm i have?

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #9 of 44
oh wow thanks for the quick impression, once I find a worthy review on the PS500, then I'll decide if its the PS500 or the Reference series. I am coming from a SR325i so hope it would be a big jump in sound quality.

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #10 of 44

Quote:
i haven't heard the rs1s, but i've heard the gs 1000 (i loved them loved the bass on them too, but the soundstage was too wide for me). i heard the rs2 (detailed but not much more than the 325s and very bright which is why i didn't buy), are the rs1s less bright? (the 325's i know are bright, but after 50 hours of burn in, they improved and now i love the detail from the 325s more than the hd 650s) im loving my 325's alot.

oh btw, are dt 990s less recessed as far as mids are concerned compared to the dt 770 80 ohm i have?

I've listened to the GS-1k thru a grail tube amp, Mapletree Audio Design EAR, the RS-1 I like better because the exaggerated soundstage to me is an illusion and I prefer everything to be tighter and more forward, it's a departure from what made the other Grados magnificent, thats why I didn't really have much hope for the PS1k when it came out... not that I've even heard it though, but common sense tells me it'll be more of the same...

The DT990's are a little more balanced than the 770's, it's got 880 drivers but they're tuned to exaggerate bass and treble more, vs being neutral as in the 880's. As for midrange recession, it's not "scooped" midrange where it's taken out, it's just the lows and the highs are more pronounced, the 770's are actually scooped, thats why it's possible for them to sound muddy with really fast music to people used to more airy headphones... the 990 is a great middle ground if you think the 880 is too boring, but you want something a little more grown up than the 770 for other genres.

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #11 of 44
Just be careful to buy the product and not the review.

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #12 of 44
The RS-1i is less bright than the RS2i in terms of two areas: less treble emphasis (more natural highs) and better, deeper bass.

I would not discourage anyone from hearing the PS500 first as well.  I am very keen on listening to those as soon as they come into the dealer.

Lee

Quote:

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #13 of 44
I sold my RS1i to be able to get an HD800. After less than 2 months, I had sold the HD800 and bought a new RS1i 
gs1000.gif

One thing is for sure, I'll never make the mistake selling these again. The Grados are one of the few cans where I stop analyzing and just close my eyes and be one with the music.

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #14 of 44

Quote:
oh wow thanks for the quick impression, once I find a worthy review on the PS500, then I'll decide if its the PS or the Reference series. I am coming from a SR325i so hope it would be a big jump in sound quality.

From what I've read the PS-500 is being compared to the HF-2, I suspect because of the similar construction. I have not heard the PS-500 so I have no first-hand experience. However I have owned the 325i and currently own the HF-2 and RS-1. IMO of the three phones the RS-1 is the best sounding, way less bright than the 325i and more evenly balanced across the sound spectrum than the HF-2. Both the 325i and HF-2 are nice phones, but the RS-1 is better.

Sep 26, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #15 of 44
Sage advice and I would add listen to everything in audio first, ideally with the sources you will be using.  I carried my iPod 5G around to several headphone events before settling.

Quote:
Just be careful to buy the product and not the review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back