Grado RS-1 imploded ):
Mar 27, 2011 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Wil

1000+ Head-Fier

Sigh. My beloved RS-1 just imploded while i was listening to some vinyl. In the midst of some Coltrane, the right driver just went 'POP'.

There was sound after that, but the sound was noticably thinny and had quite abit less bass as compared to the left channel. I confirmed this by switching it with my AKG701s which were alot more balanced sounding.

Seems like the RS-1 is quite fragile..same thing happened 2 years back and i sent it back to Grado labs to replace the driver. 

I've always liked the RS-1 (the 701s were relegated to the drawer). But listening to the 701s in an extended period today made me realize how much more detail and soundstage they delivered. Of course the presentation was less exciting, but the air they produce is outstanding..

I'm thinking of sending the RS-1 in (in the near future perhaps), but now i'm thinking of a new pair of cans that can deliver RS-1 style excitment with 701 style refinement. I've read that the DT990 (600ohms) can deliver quite abit of both..any thoughts?

I'm using a Darkvoice 336SE with rolled tubes btw. 

Thanks for reading!

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #4 of 9

Yep,...warranty is long over and i would just like to try something different for now.

Danthrax, i've actually owned some Beyers before, namely the DT880 pro (before they revised the line-up) and DT-150s and i loved them both. Guess i'll just give it a go anyway! 

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:

Yep,...warranty is long over and i would just like to try something different for now.

Danthrax, i've actually owned some Beyers before, namely the DT880 pro (before they revised the line-up) and DT-150s and i loved them both. Guess i'll just give it a go anyway! 

The Dt990 600 ohms are great.  They are more refined than their 250 ohm counterpart, and have some nice (crisp) oomph to them.

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Seems like the RS-1 is quite fragile..same thing happened 2 years back and i sent it back to Grado labs to replace the driver. 

I have not had this same experience - my RS-1 are about 15 years old now, going on strong.

Can you check your amp for DC offset at the output? What you are describing sounds like a critically leaky cap. 

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 9
Hi Nikongod, i haven't checked for that, but after the RS-1s went i continued listening to my AKG 701s for at least 5 hours..there didn't seem to be any problems.. 

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:

Hey Wil,

I would send Grado an email telling them what happened to your RS1's. It could be a manufacturers defect with your driver and they may ask you to send them in for a FREE repair.

I think it's worth a try.

P.S. I also own a pair of RS1i's

Good Luck

Mar 28, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Hey Wil,

I would send Grado an email telling them what happened to your RS1's. It could be a manufacturers defect with your driver and they may ask you to send them in for a FREE repair.

I think it's worth a try.

P.S. I also own a pair of RS1i's

Good Luck

Thanks for the suggestion..i'll give that a go.

I'm a little a worried now about the DC offset issue. ( i have no equipment to test that).

I've owned the Darkvoice 336 for a little over 3 months now with no issues whatsoever..however, it was my first time listening to my vinyl rig in a few months yesterday when the incident occured. Like i said, i listened to the 701s on the darkvoice for ard 5 hours after the incident happened (on CDs though), with no incident. Should i be worrying?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back