Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread)
Jan 14, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #617 of 722
Heads up. Chris of Elleven Acoustica may have an updated/revised version of Epsilon R1 in couple of months. :ksc75smile:

Oooh nice! I've got the G1 now I'm curious how the current gen R1 sounds and I'd love to hear it before the new driver is launched, any one care to do a temporary swap for a week or so?

Jan 15, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #618 of 722
Oooh nice! I've got the G1 now I'm curious how the current gen R1 sounds and I'd love to hear it before the new driver is launched, any one care to do a temporary swap for a week or so?
I don't need to do a swap since you have my old G1, LOL. If you are interested in listening to my R1 just pay for the shipping and I'll send them to you.

Jan 15, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #619 of 722
I recently purchased the ATH-ADX5000, AT's flagship headphone. Paid $2000. It was a very resolving and detailed headphone, more so than the HD800 and equal to Focal Utopia.
It was everything I wanted the HD800 to be, more forward mids, more punchy bass and more extended upper treble.
But I have to say, I still enjoyed the Epsilon R1 more. So eventually, I returned the ADX5000.

Jan 15, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #620 of 722
I recently purchased the ATH-ADX5000, AT's flagship headphone. Paid $2000. It was a very resolving and detailed headphone, more so than the HD800 and equal to Focal Utopia.
It was everything I wanted the HD800 to be, more forward mids, more punchy bass and more extended upper treble.
But I have to say, I still enjoyed the Epsilon R1 more. So eventually, I returned the ADX5000.

I've sold my HD800 for a similar reason and gave my T1 gen1 to my son. The main reason I like the R1 is it sounds great on almost any source but it does scale a little

Jan 16, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #622 of 722
Jan 18, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #623 of 722
I've owned both the sr60 and 80 a couple times. I thought they were good for the price range. But I have two major issues with my limited Grado experience. First is the midbass hump and the response falling off a cliff right below it with no low bass at all. I compare them to mini-monitor speakers in that sense. The second is the peaky highs that, while exciting sounding, are often harsh and especially abrasive at moderate listening levels. The Byerdynamic dt880 250ohm I bought soon after was superior in every way, even from inferior sources and so smooth and extended. Do these improved Grado style drivers fix those faults?

Jan 18, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #624 of 722
I've owned both the sr60 and 80 a couple times. I thought they were good for the price range. But I have two major issues with my limited Grado experience. First is the midbass hump and the response falling off a cliff right below it with no low bass at all. I compare them to mini-monitor speakers in that sense. The second is the peaky highs that, while exciting sounding, are often harsh and especially abrasive at moderate listening levels. The Byerdynamic dt880 250ohm I bought soon after was superior in every way, even from inferior sources and so smooth and extended. Do these improved Grado style drivers fix those faults?
The Ypsilon G1 fixes the faults since it has bass that goes lower than most Grado SR/GS series and I consider it slightly better than or equal to the PS1000e. The highs are more extended but are smooth and not peaky. Another thing is you might want to try the newer "e" series versions since they are tuned quite different from the "i" and originals.

Jan 19, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #625 of 722
The Ypsilon G1 fixes the faults since it has bass that goes lower than most Grado SR/GS series and I consider it slightly better than or equal to the PS1000e. The highs are more extended but are smooth and not peaky. Another thing is you might want to try the newer "e" series versions since they are tuned quite different from the "i" and originals.

The G1 is kinda odd I'm finding... sometimes it really impresses me and other times not so much. It's performance is very dependent on placement like speakers they seem to have a sweet spot on my ears! Part of my interest in the R1 is the use of the LCrush Pads which only kinda fit one way, where as the G Crush Pads are bigger and have a little more play to them. Still when I get them in that sweet spot they are pretty rock solid, I'm also REALLY liking them with the iFi Nano iDSD Black Label!!!

Though my Nhoord Red v1 has G Pads is a lot less finicky, however that said EVERY BODY LOVES the G1! Like all my friends seem to think the world of it!

Jan 26, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #627 of 722
Grado RS1(Vintage B/Classic A overlap) vs Epsilon R1 (L-Cush) with Chord Hugo 2
I’m doing a comparison because the RS1 and R1 to my ears sound more close than I ever imagined.

I have had over the course of my history, six pairs of Grado RS1. Vintage A pair that was really warm and smooth. A Classic B pair that was really harsh and thin. A pair of R1 without button which I don't remember how it sounded and R1i that had tighter bass and less mid bass hump but thinner mids. And unfortunately two Paris of RS1e, one protruding and one non protruding. Now currently I have a pair of Vintage B/Classic A overlap that sounds astoundingly close to the Epsilon R1. So here are my comparisons.

Grado RS1 Buttoned Vintage B/Classic A
  • Slight upper bass emphasis that gives slight prat, but slight bloated quality. There is slightly less upper bass in R1.
  • The mids are warm but slightly smeared and focused. The mids and upper mids are pretty equally forward. I would also say the lower treble is close too.
  • There is less upper treble on RS1. It shimmers but there is less extension and amount.
  • Generally the RS1 sounds more closed, and more intimate and warm. There is slightly more engagement because of mid bass hump.
  • There is also the thing that Grado RS1 has that is very unique to it. It’s called the fuzz factor. There is a slightly dirty fuzz and twang factor that makes classic rock (led zeppelin, black sabbath) with distorted guitar more real.

Eps. R1
  • Bass is tighter and more extended in the low bass. There is less upper and mid bass hump. Less bass prat than RS1 but more controlled, tight and detailed.
  • The mids as I said are equally forward, warm and engaging. What I mean is the R1 does not have thinner mids compared to the RS1. Both are close in it’s thickness and warmth but the RS1 is more rounded.
  • The upper mids and lower treble are equally forward as RS1 but because of there is more upper treble, it has the feeling that it is slightly more forward and edgy. The R1 makes it more engaging especially with vocals being more clear, airy and detailed.
  • The treble is more extended and airy. They both shimmer but the R1 has more mid to upper treble extension and amount. In this way the R1 is much brighter but not sibilant to my ears.
  • The R1 sounds much more clearer and open, more layers, more detail. Soundstage is slightly wider and deeper. So while the RS1 does rock with distorted guitar better because of the fuzz factor, the R1 does vocals like Norah Jones and Diana Krall better. There is more open space and air for vocals and instruments.

The best comparison is if I took the same headphones and plugged one to a very warm tube amp (RS1) and the other to a bright solid state amp (R1). The differences are apparent but very subtle. Again, the RS1 sounds more lush, romantic and euphonic. Everything is slightly more rounded and warm. The R1 is more clear, open, detailed and slightly more bright in upper treble.

Considering the Grado RS1 is about 15-17 years older than the Epsilon R1, it’s saying a lot for the RS1. But at the same time, it’s saying a lot for the R1 to be so close to the RS1.
Now many tend to describe the Eps. R1 as neutral sounding, than I would say that these old pair of RS1 (at least the one I have) are in some way more neutral than the R1. It's quite interesting. As I said before, they are some RS1 that has been really bright, thin and harsh sounding but over the course of my ownership of six to seven pairs, there has been few that has been by Eps R1 standards, some very neutral sounding ones...that is, if you can call Grado RS1 or the Esp. R1 really neutral.

Which one do I choose. Sometimes I preferred the tube like warmth of the RS1(especially with brighter songs); sometimes I preferred the clarity and openness of the R1 (especially on slower paced less bright songs). When not paying attention, especially on songs that were not as bright, I would forget which one I had on.

Finally, depending on which Grado RS1 you have, your may agree or disagree. I have found in my experience the Grado RS1 to vary in sound, even within the same model and make period. (posted also in Grado Fan Club).

Feb 24, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #630 of 722
Anyone try the G1 drivers in a GS-1000 cup style or with the actual G-1 cup they make? Any comment on the sound?
Built a G1 with cups similar to the GS style cups but decided I liked the R1 better so I've sold mine, a few pictures of them before I sold them:
G1_image-1.jpg G1_image-3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back