Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread)
Nov 2, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #586 of 722
R1 has a more "reference" sound where the frequency is better balanced but it might also seem to be bass lite to some like my GF and most of her friends, think of the HD800 sound and the R1 is getting close.
The G1 which was "designed" for use with G-pads has more quantity and quality bass than the R1 since the OEM G-pads then to reduce the bass a little but it will also need a GS style cup from what Chris has told me.
After having both for a few weeks I decided to sell the G1 since I liked the R1 over all sound better but just this morning when I was in the living room using my main listening rig I noticed that the R1 and G1 react to different amps differently so I'm currently trying to reassess my thoughts about both.

I actually picked up these from @DavidA , the build is excellent and my co-worker is actually pretty impressed with them right from his Galaxy Note 8! Which says a-lot, he heard my HD 800 yesterday from a hm601 fed APPJ PA1502A Set Tube and "couldn't see what all the fuss" was about. I'm a little mad actually, he's totally hi-jacked them! But still this guy's heard a little of everything I have and these are the first he's like!

oUnxzqH.jpg

He caught me taking a picture...

NDkKSCc.jpg

I'm quite content with them as well right form my M2s! They do extend a little lower than my HD 800 [which is nice] and the sound stage is impressive, although like my Nhoord Red v1's it does take a little time to get these set JUST right on my head, if the placement is wrong the sound stage is very flat but when it's just right they open up nicely both a little forward and in the rear

All in all I'm quite happy with them! I was on the fence about getting these over the R1 and frankly all things consider I'm glad I got the G1 instead!

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #587 of 722
I actually picked up these from @DavidA , the build is excellent and my co-worker is actually pretty impressed with them right from his Galaxy Note 8! Which says a-lot, he heard my HD 800 yesterday from a hm601 fed APPJ PA1502A Set Tube and "couldn't see what all the fuss" was about. I'm a little mad actually, he's totally hi-jacked them! But still this guy's heard a little of everything I have and these are the first he's like! [/SPOILER]
I'm quite content with them as well right form my M2s! They do extend a little lower than my HD 800 [which is nice] and the sound stage is impressive, although like my Nhoord Red v1's it does take a little time to get these set JUST right on my head, if the placement is wrong the sound stage is very flat but when it's just right they open up nicely both a little forward and in the rear
How do they compare to your Nhoords?

Nov 17, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #588 of 722
Have to say these G1s remind me of really a mix of the PS and GS series Grado's! Bass of the PS series with the magic mid range of the GS, I'm pretty damn impressed!!! Impressions again'st teh Nhoord will need to wait just a bit more @WoodyLuvr

I will say though overall... it's not quite as resolving of the PS2KE... I'm starting to really get the feel of this as a refined/mini GS2KE, tighter but still emphasized lows, good bit of magic! AMAZING depth and imaging in exchange for a bit less resolve, truth be told I'm reviewing both the PS2KE and GS2KE atm the moment. Today being my last day with the PS2KE I'm doing my final thoughts of the Ylipson G1 in comparison to the PS2KE, ultimately there is a lot more that the PS2KE does better than the G1 but it is in NO way 7 times better...

The G1 for what it's worth isn't quite as resolved as even my HE 4 is though it's equally as deep... but does a lot right on it's own, the smaller size and easy to driven nature make it great with my portable gear,

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #589 of 722
Compared to the Nhoord Red V1... it's a step forward.

The lows are much more defined, the sound is much more spacious, with a deeper more precise image by far. The Nhoord Red V1 only has the edge in it's resolve of the Mid Range, there's a touch more detail for vocalists, guitars horns ect... there's a natural beauty on the Nhoord Red v1 that's really engaging. It's also just a bit more nuanced in micro dynamics, with the G1 being a smidge less responsive in micro dynamics but more responsive with macro dynamics or SUDDEN LARGE chnages in volume, vs smaller less obvious ones

Thankfully the Nhoord Red V1 pairs well with my GO v2+, the two really synergize together. I lucked out on that! The G1 however is more consistently impressive, it's a bit easier to drive and shines brighter from a wider range of sources, where as the Nhoord Red V1 needs a little extra work to get the balance just right, though even with perfect balance and synergy, it's not as spacious nor resolved as the G1. Really though, you can upgrade to a G1 from the Nhoord Red V1, as the G1 has more flexibility with how you source and amp it. It'll pair well with warmer or colder sources depending on what you like, unlike the Nhoord Red V1 which get's too syrupy with warmer sounding gear

Dec 6, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #591 of 722
I have posted this question before in the Nhoord thread but I am extremely curious in hearing what other owners of the DIY Driver Family (Nhoord Audio, Elleven Acoustica, Symphones/Rhydon, and Turbulent Lab) are using (or have used) for amplification, if any.

Myself, with my Nhoord Audio Red v2s, I am using an AudioQuest DragonFly Black (DFB) and have compared my DFB with the following amps/dacs with no replacement yet:

AQ DragonFly Red (DFR): too much gain and power; too bright and sibilant; difficult to set the volume at a lower listening level

Audeze Deckard: once the volume is set the same, DAC wise I am unable to distinguish the difference between the Deckard or even the Benchmark DAC3 from my DragonFly Black but precise lower volume adjustment is possible with either the Audeze or Benchmark, however nothing uniquely different and/or improved from my DFB.

Benchmark DAC3: same as the Deckard on all accounts

Meier Audio Corda Classic-ff and Jazz: very nice amps; great volume control; crossfeed is notable but I am able to nearly simulate/match this crossfeed sound/feature perfectly via the Case Meier Crossfeed component in Foobar2K (set at 15-18) so these amps don’t offer anything more over the DFB to justify their purchase.

TEAC HA-501: sounded fine but nothing dramatically different from my DFB just slightly more volume.

TEAC UD-301: nice sound but nothing uniquely better than my DFB; preferred the LME49860, MUSES8820, and NE5532 op amps over the stock PCM1795 op amps… with any of these op amps the TEAC UD-301 and Fostex HP-A3 sound identical.

Fostex HP-A3: again, nice sound but nothing uniquely better than my DFB; lesser build quality than the TEAC but damn the Fostex’s volume control/knob was magical (super smooth; the best of all); better sounding (w/ stock op amp) than the TEAC UD-301 (w/ stock op amp). Preferred the LME49860, MUSES8820, and NE5532 op amp over the stock OPA2134 op amp.

Audio-gd R/2R-11: very nice amp but doesn't pair well with my Nhoords; too much power and gain so not much volume play on the lower end.​

Thus far, I haven't found anything that is dramatically better than my DFB. Would like to give the controversial Grado RA-1 Head Amp a listen to one day to see how well it pairs with my Nhoords as it is highly recommended by many Grado RS-1/RS-2 owners which are similar in sound to my Nhoords.

@capnjack recommendations for and/or amps used with his Nhoords:
Today I’ve been alternating between my mojo and my little dot mk2 :wink:
I actually quite like them with my Askewlabs cMoy bb too

@DavidA recommendations for and/or amps used with his Nhoords:
In addition to the UD-301 I've been using Xonar DG and DGX sound cards, Fiio X3 and X3ii DAPs, Bimby/UD-301 + Lyr2/Ember and a Teac AH-01. About the only amp that I don't use with the Nhoord is the BH Crack (bad pairing IMO) and Asgard2 (in the bedroom where I don't listen much)
@Mshenay recommendations for and/or amps used with his Nhoords:
... ...Thankfully the Nhoord Red V1 pairs well with my GO v2+, the two really synergize together. I lucked out on that!... ...unlike the Nhoord Red V1 which get's too syrupy with warmer sounding gear

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #592 of 722
I have posted this question before in the Nhoord thread but I am extremely curious in hearing what other owners of the DIY Driver Family (Nhoord Audio, Elleven Acoustica, Symphones/Rhydon, and Turbulent Lab) are using (or have used) for amplification, if any.

I mostly use the Benchmark DAC2 HGC with Grados builds but mainly because it's a consistent good match with a variety of headphones, not just Grados.

Dec 12, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #593 of 722
I'm curious to hear how my ordered Epsilon G1 compares to my Magnum v3.5. I use the magnums with the MS1000 mod (distancers + G-cush) and it still is my favorite pair of headphones. The G1's should be in my hands in a couple of weeks, as I also ordered a pair of wood cups with it.

Dec 12, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #594 of 722
I'm curious to hear how my ordered Epsilon G1 compares to my Magnum v3.5. I use the magnums with the MS1000 mod (distancers + G-cush) and it still is my favorite pair of headphones. The G1's should be in my hands in a couple of weeks, as I also ordered a pair of wood cups with it.
Got a picture of your Magnum v3.5? Wanted to see what the distancers look like

Dec 12, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #595 of 722
There are 4 holes, 1 in each of the cardinal directions. it's lined with felt. I have the distancers tacked on, I didn't wat to glue them to the aluminum.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #598 of 722
Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #599 of 722
What made you sell the G1 and keep the R1?

Purely based on outside appearance: I like your old G1's a lot more :) They both look cool though.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #600 of 722
What made you sell the G1 and keep the R1?
The R1 has the cleaner and more natural sounding mids and the bass of the R1 sounded more detailed and clean where the G1 has more bass but its not as clean and detailed.
The Gang-4.jpg
Took this picture a while back, left to right:
Ypsilon R1, Magnum V7 (fleasbaby build), RS2e, Nhoord Red V2, Scarlet prototype driver
on headphone stand: Original Ypsilon

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back