Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread)
Dec 19, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #451 of 722

OK, I'll give it one last try to help you understand (before I turn the thread into a physics class
tongue.gif
)
You got me wondering about the DT880, K701, HD600 etc. here they are........

Sorry if I do not see anything that resembles the Nhoord narrow slots openings, all the above have some huge openings in comparison.
Keep in mind that diffraction occurs when you pass a wave through a SLOT.

Back to the Audeze example, Audeze HAD to found a way against diffraction (in the form of the Fazors) because the plannar drivers, by design, have magnets in front (and/or back)  of their diaphragms that forms slots the sound wave HAS to pass through,
In a dynamic driver however that is not the issue, magnets are only at the back.

Here is what happens with the slots....

Left side is diaphragm, producing a coherent sound wave (black thick vertical lines), Yellow line is the Nhoord cover with the slots (just two illustrated, with multiple slots it looks worse) passing the sound wave.
Each slot, right at their exit now acts as an independent sound source ruining the coherent initial sound wave, so, why on earth would you want to put a diffraction causing "element" in front of a dynamic driver diaphragm?
Hope it's clear(er) now.

We're almost there :). I see how the drivers I referenced have larger spaces, not slots. I saw their bars as having the same effect as the bars over the Nhoord driver, even though there were less of them, and they are skinnier. So the fact that they are skinnier means less disturbance. Makes sense.

How is a slot different from a hole though? Wouldn't a series of holes next to each other break up the wave just like a slot? I guess I need to see a front view the blue and yellow animation....

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #453 of 722

We're almost there :). I see how the drivers I referenced have larger spaces, not slots. I saw their bars as having the same effect as the bars over the Nhoord driver, even though there were less of them, and they are skinnier. So the fact that they are skinnier means less disturbance. Makes sense.

How is a slot different from a hole though? Wouldn't a series of holes next to each other break up the wave just like a slot? I guess I need to see a front view the blue and yellow animation....

Pheeew! I'll treat myself a beer
beerchug.gif

A slot is producing a cylindrical wave-front and hole a spherical one, spherical is an (almost) ideal wave-front so holes are much preferable over slots.

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #454 of 722

Pheeew! I'll treat myself a beer
beerchug.gif

A slot is producing a cylindrical wave-front and hole a spherical one, spherical is an (almost) ideal wave-front so holes are much preferable over slots.

Okay...I buy it....kind of.

We've gone far enough down the rabbit hole. I want to ask why a spherical wave-front is preferable, and how the wikipedia article on the double-slit applies to sound when it talks primarily about light, but this $h1t is all getting kind of heavy. I've always shied away from the sound science forums. They tend to devolve into chaos...even as the OP of this thread, I think we've officially come too close to crossing the horizon (no small thanks to my endless questions :)).

Dec 19, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #455 of 722

Okay...I buy it....kind of.

We've gone far enough down the rabbit hole. I want to ask why a spherical wave-front is preferable, and how the wikipedia article on the double-slit applies to sound when it talks primarily about light, but this $h1t is all getting kind of heavy. I've always shied away from the sound science forums. They tend to devolve into chaos...even as the OP of this thread, I think we've officially come too close to crossing the horizon (no small thanks to my endless questions :)).

The ideal sound source is an infinite small point with the same magnitude in the whole audible spectrum, which of course produces spherical sound waves.
Both sound and light are WAVES, they can be both Diffracted, Refracted and Reflected, the reason why diffraction experiments are made with (visible spectrum) light is that you can see light but you can't see sound.

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #457 of 722
  I've removed a some recent posts in this thread as we're no longer skirting the edge of off-topic. Can we please keep the thread on-topic going forward?

Thanks all. :)

Jan 19, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #459 of 722

The old Ypsilon was very "picky" with the type cups used, with the Ypsilon S2 and Epsilon R1 this is not the case, they are both way easier to work with and get good results.
I listened to the Ypsilon S2 with cups that were a "no-no" with the old Ypsilon and they sound brilliant and not at all forward or harsh, especially the R1, damn!

As is often the case, there are more than the eye can see, while I was handling the Ypsilon S2 I noticed this.....

...one Ypsilon S2 driver on top of the other, front-to-back held like this only with their own magnet strength, this cannot happen with either the Magnum V7, the Nhoord or stock Grado drivers, their magnets are not that strong.
Not very scientific, but, you got the point.
On another note, not a big fan of the sharp slots openings of the Nhoord, there is a good reason why the vast majority of compression drivers exits, bass ports, wave guides etc. are round and rounded, it's called diffraction and it's not good.
Audeze has the so called "fazor" as a measure against diffraction.
The Epsilon R1 has some huge openings so it's not an issue.

Just as an fyi about the magnets thing, seeing if the magnets stick together is actually a very bad measure of the magnetic strength of the motor in the drivers, heck even cheap chinese ferrite drivers will stick, the fact that some drivers stick is more a measure of how much magnetic flux is leaking (bad) than how strong the magnets are. The magnetic field is supposed to be concentrated in the gap the voice coil rides in, between the pole piece and the outer edge, so the more they stick together the WEAKER (less magnetism inside in the RIGHT place, more on the outside in the WRONG place) the power of the motor assembly is. Of course this is just a generalization but is important to be aware of and is a good guideline. Also consider that if the total magnetic force really did have that much of a change outside the driver as inside the driver, the pairs that don't stick would be practically incapable of producing sound from how weak their motor assembly would be, which is clearly not the case.

Something important to consider when choosing drivers.

Jan 20, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #460 of 722
Finally put together the S2 and R1:

First 2 are the S2 driver

The S2 is a nice upgrade of the original, better balanced FR and less picky with cups as @Konstantin690 noted.  I noticed that they are just a touch more efficient also.

These are the R1

The R1 is good but I don't feel its worth the cost over the S2 for me but it is smoother and has a better bass extension but at times seem like its bass lite with some tracks compared to the original Ypsilon.

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #461 of 722
  Just as an fyi about the magnets thing, seeing if the magnets stick together is actually a very bad measure of the magnetic strength of the motor in the drivers, heck even cheap chinese ferrite drivers will stick, the fact that some drivers stick is more a measure of how much magnetic flux is leaking (bad) than how strong the magnets are. The magnetic field is supposed to be concentrated in the gap the voice coil rides in, between the pole piece and the outer edge, so the more they stick together the WEAKER (less magnetism inside in the RIGHT place, more on the outside in the WRONG place) the power of the motor assembly is. Of course this is just a generalization but is important to be aware of and is a good guideline. Also consider that if the total magnetic force really did have that much of a change outside the driver as inside the driver, the pairs that don't stick would be practically incapable of producing sound from how weak their motor assembly would be, which is clearly not the case.

Something important to consider when choosing drivers.

The observation was merely a indication of how different the drivers are, beyond what the eye can see, anyways, I guess the people behind the driver design had a pretty good reason for placing such a powerful magnet in there, this is, the Elleven Acoustica drivers have the lowest Total Harmonic Distortion percentage and faster Impulse Response I've measured between the Magnum, Nhoord and stock Grado drivers.

The S2 is a nice upgrade of the original, better balanced FR and less picky with cups as @Konstantin690 noted.  I noticed that they are just a touch more efficient also.

These are the R1

The R1 is good but I don't feel its worth the cost over the S2 for me but it is smoother and has a better bass extension but at times seem like its bass lite with some tracks compared to the original Ypsilon.

NIcely done, have you listened to them with the L-Cushions? I like both S2 and R1 better with the L-Cushions than the G-Cushions
Where did you got those cups with the R1? They look gorgeous!

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #462 of 722

The observation was merely a indication of how different the drivers are, beyond what the eye can see, anyways, I guess the people behind the driver design had a pretty good reason for placing such a powerful magnet in there, this is, the Elleven Acoustica drivers have the lowest Total Harmonic Distortion percentage and faster Impulse Response I've measured between the Magnum, Nhoord and stock Grado drivers.

NIcely done, have you listened to them with the L-Cushions? I like both S2 and R1 better with the L-Cushions than the G-Cushions
Where did you got those cups with the R1? They look gorgeous!

The cups with the R1 came from Elleven Acoustica, took a really long time, about 1.5 months to get to me in Hawaii.  While I have L cushions, I find that I can't use them for more than an hour but they do sound better with some genres, but comfort is more important for me.

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #463 of 722

These are the R1

Are these wooden cups made from Elleven Acoustica?

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #464 of 722
  I received the new Ypsilon S2 and Epsilon R1 a few days ago, finally found the time last night to assemble them and have a good listen.
The Ypsilon S2 is a clear improvement over its predecessor, bass goes deeper and with more impact, highs have more sparkle but are never fatiguing, midrange kept much of their character, meaning very open and involving but at the same time they sound easier on the ears.
The Epsilon R1 compared to the Ypsilon S2 have some added qualities, better focus, midrange naturalness and leading edge definition, while adding resolution they don't sound brighter or edgy, bass is tighter, faster and with better definition.
I have to add though, that these differences are not a night and day situation and you need a good quality amplifier to set them apart, connected to a FiiO E07K the Epsilon S2 sounds 90% like the Epsilon R1 but when connected to the Violectric or Benchmark the differences are more distinguish and the Epsilon S2 sounds 70-80% like the Epsilon R1, hope that makes sense.
FWIW, the Epsilon R1 gave me the best sound I have heard in a Grado-ish design to date, remarkable.
On another note, while these are clearly tuned with L-Cushions in mind I have found the larger G-Cushions to work well, don't even bother with flats.

I like to try these drivers but first i like to get these golden headband assembly :wink:
Do you know where can i get it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back