Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread)
Jan 6, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #31 of 722
  So what do you think?

Here's my provisional build: Ypsilon drivers in aluminium air chambers with Yew Woodworks cups.
I've been comparing these with another newly-built set fitted with the new Symphones V6 driver, both with L-cush pads, but this is hardly a good way of assessing them. The V6 is press-fitted into wooden cups and seemed to sound great straight out of the box. The Ypsilons are definitely improving with every hour they're run, but I'd say my implementation of them is poor. I'd expect that it is critical for a driver to be firmly seated in the cup in order for it to work properly and I haven't got that far yet,

The Ypsilon and Symphones builds could not sound any more different. So far they sound very 'Grado', bright and detailed and put you right next to the recording. Bass seems nice and tight. In comparison the V6 cans sound much closer to my PS500's; I preferred them at first, but I've been finding myself reaching for the Ypsilons more and more.

Jan 6, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #34 of 722

So what do you think?

Here's my provisional build: Ypsilon drivers in aluminium air chambers with Yew Woodworks cups.
I've been comparing these with another newly-built set fitted with the new Symphones V6 driver, both with L-cush pads, but this is hardly a good way of assessing them. The V6 is press-fitted into wooden cups and seemed to sound great straight out of the box. The Ypsilons are definitely improving with every hour they're run, but I'd say my implementation of them is poor. I'd expect that it is critical for a driver to be firmly seated in the cup in order for it to work properly and I haven't got that far yet,

The Ypsilon and Symphones builds could not sound any more different. So far they sound very 'Grado', bright and detailed and put you right next to the recording. Bass seems nice and tight. In comparison the V6 cans sound much closer to my PS500's; I preferred them at first, but I've been finding myself reaching for the Ypsilons more and more.

Thanks, could you keep us up to date when you seat your drivers properly.  
 They do look very nice.
Could you put up a pic of your other build...............please.

Jan 6, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #35 of 722

Looking great, how do you hold the drivers in place? Screws, glue?
Give them something like 20-30 hours of break in for their "magic" to emerge, you will find that they change quite a bit.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #36 of 722
  is that wrap of the driver a substantial aluminum or is the driver still about the same weight as the magnum/grado? 

It's not a crazy difference, but they are heavier. Thinking about the effects of a wooden sleeve in an aluminium cup, I have been wondering how the aluminium driver case will affect the driver's interaction with the wood. It will definitely interfere with getting an organic signature for analog music like you would from a tuned cup with plastic-encased drivers. It might just be what's needed though to clear out that mid-bass hump, tame the highs and rectify the relationship between the driver and the wood.

All conjecture until the rubber hits the road and I get these assembled. Still patiently waiting on the cables...

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #37 of 722
yes, that aluminum does retain the cold like no other material. You guys may need to source some kind of sticky cheeslothe type material to laminate over the driver face......when you guys give impressions of the new drivers it would be helpful if you mentioned some of the albums you are using to audition and reference.....

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #38 of 722
...a cable should arrive for me this evening or tomorrow. Been staring at the cups and the drivers for days now whenever I am home....LOL.

In the meantime...reference albums would be good to hear from folks. Personally my tastes run far and wide. Usually when I test a pair of cans, I like to give them some challenging bass, to hear tone, and presentation. I also like to listen to complex passages to see how quick they are, and pleasing to the ear despite the challenge. Usually this entails passing through the following albums:

Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda
Paul Simon - Graceland
Flying Lotus - Until the Quiet Comes (this one is a challenge...Flying Lotus has some abominable mastering habits that tend to make a mess of most headphones)
Bob Dylan - Infidels

These are a few of the first ones that come to mind. There are a slew of others that I find myself winding through, depending on mood...

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #39 of 722
a few of mine

beastie boys - the in sound from way out - instrumental stuff
slint - spiderland 
shellac - dude incredible
bob mould - workbook 25
beatles - white album - 2009 24 bit reissue
rollins band - end of silence demos
john coltrane - interstellar space
black sabbath - volume 4 

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #40 of 722
  a few of mine

beastie boys - the in sound from way out - instrumental stuff
slint - spiderland 
shellac - dude incredible
bob mould - workbook 25
beatles - white album - 2009 24 bit reissue
rollins band - end of silence demos
john coltrane - interstellar space
black sabbath - volume 4 

NICE!

I use Coltrane's A Love Supreme often. Interstellar Space is intense :). Slint's Spiderland is a good one to run as well. 

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #42 of 722
  i really like the drums on interstellar space, they're both rashid ali i believe

they're all good drum records - looking for overall speed and kick drum

I know Rashid was playing more or less full time for him by then...likely to be him on that album.

On a happier, more on-topic note. Cables arrived this evening. Quickly wired up the Ypsilons and am having a preliminary listen. Despite not being at the burn in point Elleven Acoustica advised (20 hours) they sound very promising. Less bass emphasis than the V6 I think. Less "musical" more linear. From what I have heard I need to give them time though. At the moment I have ambiguous feelings about the bass.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #43 of 722
....listening to John Lee Hooker's Boom Boom, from Live at Newport via my Pono player, FLAC 16/44, and am loving what I hear after a night's burn-in:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back