Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread)
Jan 13, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #47 of 722

Whoa! Thanks man. How is SQ in reference to SennGrado?

These are early impressions, and I haven't built a SennGrado or owned one for a good 6 months, but the SennGrado is bassier (depending on your variant....seems like some folks find themselves with bass-heavy drivers, others find themselves with more neutral ones....@thelostMIDrange can speak to driver variance very well. He's researched it heavily) with a less articulate top-end. 

The Ypsilon (pre-full burn-in) are a lot more neutral than the SennGrado and the Magnum V5 and Magnum V6. This appeals to my tastes...a lot. They extend high and low, but don't have the coloration that current Magnums, the SennGrado and Joe Grado-era Grados have.

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #48 of 722

Here you go :)

i dig those cups  
wink_face.gif

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #51 of 722
how is the midrange and vocal presentation compared to a magnum and pink driver? is it distant like a senn or up front like most grado drivers?

how is the presence/resolution balance? meaning is the upper mid 'hot' at all like grados or is it super smooth and resolved like the senn and some magnums/pinks....

how is it with 70's rock n roll/ old aerospmith, motorhead, dire straits, rush et al? do they rock at all? neutral and reference should not mean dull or colorless as those recordings have tons of color. A reference can should render rock n roll with all the excitement and drive they where recorded with.....

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #52 of 722
  how is the midrange and vocal presentation compared to a magnum and pink driver? is it distant like a senn or up front like most grado drivers?

how is the presence/resolution balance? meaning is the upper mid 'hot' at all like grados or is it super smooth and resolved like the senn and some magnums/pinks....

how is it with 70's rock n roll/ old aerospmith, motorhead, dire straits, rush et al? do they rock at all? neutral and reference should not mean dull or colorless as those recordings have tons of color. A reference can should render rock n roll with all the excitement and drive they where recorded with.....

So far I haven't done the recommended 20 hours burn-in. I would have been close if I had remembered to plug them in last night, but...oops...I'll let them run all day at the office today and all of tonight, which should get them there. I am hesitant to commit to anything until that is done, as I have heard them start out pretty neutral, with present, but not unusually extended bass, and at this point the mids have come up some, the bass has extended a little more to become better than average. Treble and upper mids aren't aggressive or discomforting.

I had my Pono shuffling randomly through everything yesterday, and they did well with jazz, old analog dub recordings from Jamaica (Lee Perry's Black Ark wizardry). Speaking of wizardry, they tore through Led Zeppelin's Good Times Bad Times like a bottle of Jack Daniels on a Saturday night if I might be frank...could hear the hum of Jimmy's amp in the pauses before he ripped into his solos, and all the while Bonham's crushing drums, especially that beautiful arrhythmic pedal work he does, were there, but never overwhelming or out of place.

This is early impressions though. I want to put them through their paces after that 20 hours before I get too effusive...

Jan 18, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #55 of 722
$233 for the gold plated gimbals on their website, ouch, Anyone know where I can get metal grado gimbals? I have an RS2e and the plastic ones are very squeaky.

Jan 18, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #56 of 722
Jan 18, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #57 of 722
  $233 for the gold plated gimbals on their website, ouch, Anyone know where I can get metal grado gimbals? I have an RS2e and the plastic ones are very squeaky.

Are you looking for oem Grado gimbals or just aftermarket?
Keep in mind that the oem ones are lightweight and expensive (if you find one)
The aftermarket are mostly heavier, The cost is depenting at the details,for example the EA ones are very well made and are HP1000 replicas! Some other on ebay from Thailand are much cheaper but they don't look so great to me..

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #58 of 722

Are you looking for oem Grado gimbals or just aftermarket?
Keep in mind that the oem ones are lightweight and expensive (if you find one)
The aftermarket are mostly heavier, The cost is depenting at the details,for example the EA ones are very well made and are HP1000 replicas! Some other on ebay from Thailand are much cheaper but they don't look so great to me..

Just something that isn't squeaky lol. I guess it got better over time though because I don't really hear it anymore.

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #59 of 722

check out gamja labs on faces book
his stuff is nicely made and he sells 'em for like 50 bucks
i have a couple of them and they're well worth it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back