Grado Modders Go Turbulent X
Feb 14, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #62 of 67
Just got around to finishing my quarantine project, parts list in this build:

- Turbulent X Drivers (2020 ver.)
- Turbulent Labs Headband in Coffee color
- Turbulent Labs Striped Rosewood Cups (ver. 1)
- Shipibo Audio Classic Aluminum Gimbals and Rodblocks set
- Mogami 2893 mini-quad cable w/Viablue NF-A7 splitter and Neutrik NC4MXX-B 4-pin XLR
- Geekria Comfort Foam (Amazon) Modified L-Cush style pads

Drivers are still breaking in, but a very noticeable improvement over the stock SR80e drivers that were in here previously.
Big thanks to @jinteddy7 for all the help along the way, and it's safe to say this is probably the best looking headphone in my collection at the moment, and pretty close to being the best sounding as well!

use this-.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #63 of 67
Just got around to finishing my quarantine project, parts list in this build:

- Turbulent X Drivers (2020 ver.)
- Turbulent Labs Headband in Coffee color
- Turbulent Labs Striped Rosewood Cups (ver. 1)
- Shipibo Audio Classic Aluminum Gimbals and Rodblocks set
- Mogami 2893 mini-quad cable w/Viablue NF-A7 splitter and Neutrik NC4MXX-B 4-pin XLR
- Geekria Comfort Foam (Amazon) Modified L-Cush style pads

Drivers are still breaking in, but a very noticeable improvement over the stock SR80e drivers that were in here previously.
Big thanks to @jinteddy7 for all the help along the way, and it's safe to say this is probably the best looking headphone in my collection at the moment, and pretty close to being the best sounding as well!

use this-.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous mate! :heart_eyes: I really want to do a project like this.

Feb 14, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #64 of 67
Absolutely gorgeous mate! :heart_eyes: I really want to do a project like this.

Thanks! And yes, after much browsing through the galleries on the various Grado threads, I finally bit the bullet and ordered everything to get this done.
Although the individual parts seem a bit pricey, the overall cost is still less than some of the higher-end Grados, and the end result looks, sounds, and feels better IMO.

Feb 22, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #65 of 67
I think this is the first time I can say I've found a musical headphone. The Grados sound extremely balanced. Unlike my HD600's and whatever gear I have lying around that expose recordings, the Grados just sound natural to listen to and makes all my pop rock music sound like they were recorded properly. It's a shame they do really poorly with handling bass/sub-bass at loud volumes; they distort quite easily. This wasn't the case with earlier grado drivers that scratched easily. The newer Turbulent X drivers are coated with orange paint.

Feb 10, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #66 of 67
Installing the Turbulent X drivers on my PS500e was initially a Hail Mary attempt and project to salvage a damaged pair of cans I had in storage for the past 6 years. I had thought of maybe salvaging them for parts but decided it might be a nice DIY project to attempt.

Never did I think would they transform and position them to the forefront as my favourite headphones I’ve had in possession. Detail, attack and resolve are superb. Gorgeous to pair with jazz, piano and acoustic. Would be happy living with these alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back