Grado Modders Go Nhoord?!?!
Sep 6, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #46 of 597
  Thanks for the quick reply.  Did you do any mods to the walnut cups?  I used some dynamat around the cup, really helped the bass and a little sorbothane on the back of the driver cleans up the overall sound.
This is a pic of the walnut cups with the PX-100ii drivers, which was replaced with the ypsilons.

This was the ypsilon in the walnut cup:

This is the current installation: lower left.  Didn't put sorbothane on the ypsilon since it seems to have some damping material on it to start.

I didn't do any modding when I had the Ypsilon. But with the Nhoords, I just find them perfect to my ears (so far). But again, these are early impressions. 

Sep 6, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #47 of 597

I didn't do any modding when I had the Ypsilon. But with the Nhoords, I just find them perfect to my ears (so far). But again, these are early impressions. 

cool
beerchug.gif

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #48 of 597

Everything sounds more 3D (depth, space and separation), real, present and emotional. All the music has soul that the the ypsilon lacked. The ypsilon had a lot of detail, but it presented it more in 2D with less soul. I don't know if this analogy works or not but the Ypsilon and Magnums sound solid state while the Nhoords sound more tube. The bass sounds dynamic and tight, the mids just sound beautifully full and open, perfect balance of lower mids, mids and upper mids and the treble shimmer without sibilance or brightness which is a very hard thing to do. In short, the vocals on the Nhoords give me goose bumps. I don't remember the Ypsilon or Magnums (any one the versions) doing that. 
Honestly, I love these more than any Grado "i" or "e" versions or the recent GH1. Note I didn't say the first Grado RS1 super vintage. That has special place in my heart. 

Jaco at Nhoord really knocked it out of the park with this one. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 7, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #49 of 597
Nhoord Red Review

Hey everyone! Time for my formal review of the Nhoord Red driver build.

Parts list:

1. Grado full headband assembly with rodlocks purchased from Larry at Headphile.com

1. Walnut cups with Maple inserts, made by @fleasbaby (ugggh I love these cups)

1. 6ft Cable from Venus Audio on ebay

1. Aluminum gimbals from @retox

1. Ear Zonk brand G-Cush clones (they aren't similar to real G-Cush at all--these are actually better)

1. Grado official L-Cush

1. Geekria S-Cush Clone

1. Nhoord Red driver

To begin, here is the finished build in all its glory:

My Preferred Configuration:

Okay, so you may have noticed that there are more parts listed above than I can actually use at once.

Obviously -black gibals +aluminum ones. This was an aesthetic upgrade to me. Love it.

Now for the pads….

I have a slightly unorthodox pad selection. First let me get this out of the way. I think the best pad for the Nhoord Red is the Ear Zonk G-Cush. It was also the best pad for the V5 (aka X) Magnum build I had a few weeks ago. The pads need to be thoroughly washed when you get them (especially that inner groove where the cups slide in). Also, you are liable to have non-identical construction between the two pads you get (seriously annoying...I might buy multiple pairs to get ones that match better), but despite this, they rock. They are $20.00 on Amazon or $6.00 or so from China on ebay.

Don't get me wrong, the L-Cush is great. It really is fine, and I found myself totally satisfied with the sound while using them. That is, until I compared them to the EZ G-Cush side by side. Easy win for the EZ G-Cush. The main differences are as follows:

1) More substantial bass from the EZ G-Cush. Not bloated. Just sounds great.

2) The sound is spread out more around you with the EZ G-Cush. L-Cush sound slightly claustrophobic in comparison 

3) Midrange just as intimate as with the L-Cush. Love me some intimate midrange.

4) The sound is more rich with the EZ G-Cush as opposed to the thinness you get with the official Grado G-Cush.

5) The EZ G-Cush is the most comfortable pad I've tried for Grados.

Drawbacks:

1) While the soundstage is wider with the EZ G-Cush, I think the L-Cush has a little more...something. A little more precise imaging, perhaps. Maybe some added soundstage depth as well, even though the sound isn't as expansive.

Another note about my pad selection. I took the Geekria S-Cush and cut it to be thinner, then I put it on first. I then placed whatever pads I was using over top of the S-Cush rings (they look more like rings than pads after trimming), and I stuffed the foam rings into the trenches cut into the pads. It's kind of a pain to do, but with some stretching and tucking, it works. I did this because the extra foam adds some sub bass and stretches out the other pads a little without making them so loose as to fall off. You get some extra sound stage this way. The effect is somewhat subtle but I like it enough that I pretty much can't live without it now.

Other Gear:

DAC and amp used for this review: Aune T1 (pictured above)

This DAC/Amp combo unit tends to merely be decent sounding, but for some reason, it is fantastic with Grados. I also tried the Nhoord with the Audioquest Dragonfly Red and iFi Micro iCan. The AudioQuest DragonFly Red is fantastic and sounds better than my Aune T1, but I'm selling the DFR right now because, while it's better than the T1, I'd rather invest the money into more headphones.The iFi Micro iCan is really nice because of all of the features it has. It's basically the swiss army knife of amps. Multiple bass boost settings and 3D effect settings, gain settings, etc. I prefer this amp when I use the L-Cush pads on the Nhoord Red.

But, for the purposes of this review, assume I am simply using the Aune T1, EZ G-Cush pads, and listening to FLAC files in JRiver Media Center.

Now, onto the actual review.

Treble

This is something that I feel actual Grado headphones rarely get right. Either the highs are shrill, grainy, or both. The cleaner, more detailed treble of the Symphones Magnums is what really struck me when I built my first pair several years ago. Out of all of the Grado-style headphones I've heard, the Magnum V5/X driver provided the most sparkly treble (especially when housed in aluminum).

This is one area where I was really hoping the Nhoord Red would not let me down. I can forgive polite bass, but if I feel like details are missing, no matter how good everything else sounds, it just eats at me until I sell the headphone and move on to something else.

Fortunately, the Nhoord Red manages to achieve something very near to the treble sweet spot: clear details but with a pleasing, smooth tonality and nary a hint of grain. I admit that there are times when I'm in the mood for something extra sparkly, more sparkly than the Nhoord Red, but as a daily driver, this is right about where the treble should be.

In comparison to the V4, V5, and V6 Magnum drivers, the Nhoord Red is closest to the V4 in this department but is overall more detailed.

Midrange

In my opinion, the midrange is where the Nhoord Red works its magic the most. I like an aggressive, intimate midrange, teeming with details, yet never becoming shouty or uncomfortable. I think this is where all of the comments about the Nhoord Red having “soul” are coming from. With the Nhoord Red, vocals come through with intense clarity and are never rough in their presentation.

One reason I almost always have a Grado-style headphone in my stable is that the midrange forwardness that is often a feature of these headphones can make you feel like you are listening to band live. It seems to me that a lot of the emotion of a song will often be communicated through the midrange. I think the style of midrange is what makes Grado-style headphones so polarizing. Some people want headphones to help sooth and relax them through music, while other people want their music to grip them and not let go. The Nhoord Red is for listeners who want to be gripped.

Bass

Ahhh, the bass response. This is the achilles heel of all Grado style headphones. Anyone who has listened to the well known, more bass heavy headphones will quickly recognize that Grado-style headphones are not for bassheads. That said, the bass is extremely important because many, many songs do not demand thumping subbass, but rather do need a headphone with a punchy midbass.

The Nhoord Red has what I think is the best bass response out of any Grado-style headphones I've heard. The V4 Magnum lacked subbass, the V5 was bass light generally, and the V6 had bass that was a bit too boomy. The Nhoord Red, however, does bass about as good as I can possibly imagine within the limitations of the Grado-style design. Bass extends low and remains tight. I do not feel like I am missing any parts of the songs I listen to regularly, something that can't really be said for the other Grado-style headphones I've heard.

If you are familiar with the higher end Grados like the GS and PS series...in my opinion they lack bass. Period. I just borrowed the GS2000e for a week, and while it did some things rather well, bass was not one of them. On that note, just for context, I spent just a bit over $300 putting these headphones together. The GS2000e is $1400. In my opinion the Nhoord Red sounds better (of course, this may not be a shock to the Grado defectors out there).

Anyway, getting back to the Nhoord Red bass. The natural response of these drivers is fantastic and it can easily be tweaked to get just the right amount of bass presence for your personal preferences. L-Cush will give you less bass and decent soundstage. EZ G-Cush will give you more bass and more soundstage width. S-Cush will give you more bass and less soudstage. Then, depending on the pads you choose, you may then determine one amp is better suited than another. For me, I chose EZ G-Cush plus clean sounding amp. I could also enjoy the L-Cush with a bassy sounding amp. Both setups sound good.

All that good stuff said, the traditional limitations of the Grado-style driver still apply. These headphones are not for bassheads. The bass is smooth, it is detailed, and it is punchy, but it is not immense, deep, and authoritative.

Soundstage and Imaging

This is an area where I immediately felt like the Nhoord Red distanced itself from other Grado and Grado-style headphones I've heard. With the L-Cush pads, these drivers provide surprisingly good imaging and instrument placement. The instrument separation is exceptional as well. I think a little of this magic is lost when I use my EZ G-Cush pads, but you gain in so many other areas that I think the trade off is worth it. Regardless of the pad type, I found the Nhoord Red to be very responsive to different DACs, amps, and tubes, and that the drivers are capable of taking advantage of equipment pairings that are more spacious in their presentation.  

Conclusion

I'll keep it simple. I think the Nhoord Red is awesome. I'm the kind of person who has always longed to have just that one headphone that sounds awesome all the time with everything. Well, put on the breaks a moment because the Nhoord Red is not that. It has a specific sound that is in the same ballpark as all other Grado-style headphones. Some people will crave this presentation, some will run from it. Over the years, I have slowly come to terms with the fact that I really probably should keep multiple headphones in my stable to suit different moods, genres, songs, etc. I'm pretty sure that the Nhoord Red is going to stick around in my stable for a long time for when I want to really be gripped by and involved in the music I'm listening to.

----

In case you are interested, here is a youtube playlist of some of the songs that I listened to while evaluating the Nhoord Red:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeoulfcblAKDUYiJipgzeSdcn-r1uycif

EDIT 09/13/16: I know I went on and on about the superiority of the EZ G-Cush, but I feel compelled to drop in with a little update. My pad choice between EZ G-Cush and L-Cush really depends on my mood. That certain something that I said the L-Cush had that the EZ G-Cush does not? I think it comes down to stage depth and instrument placement. These are better on the L-Cush. Anyway, tonight is an L-Cush night 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #50 of 597
@joeq70, great review, now i really need to get off my butt to build me a new headphone.  Unlike you I tend to keep most of my headphones for just the purpose of what you alluded to: different moods, genres, songs, etc.

Sep 7, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #51 of 597
  Nhoord Red Review

Hey everyone! Time for my formal review of the Nhoord Red driver build.

Parts list:

1. Grado full headband assembly with rodlocks purchased from Larry at Headphile.com

1. Walnut cups with Maple inserts, made by @fleasbaby (ugggh I love these cups)

1. 6ft Cable from Venus Audio on ebay

1. Aluminum gimbals from @retox

1. Ear Zonk brand G-Cush clones (they aren't similar to real G-Cush at all--these are actually better)

1. Grado official L-Cush

1. Geekria S-Cush Clone

1. Nhoord Red driver

To begin, here is the finished build in all its glory:

My Preferred Configuration:

Okay, so you may have noticed that there are more parts listed above than I can actually use at once.

Obviously -black gibals +aluminum ones. This was an aesthetic upgrade to me. Love it.

Now for the pads….

I have a slightly unorthodox pad selection. First let me get this out of the way. I think the best pad for the Nhoord Red is the Ear Zonk G-Cush. It was also the best pad for the V5 (aka X) Magnum build I had a few weeks ago. The pads need to be thoroughly washed when you get them (especially that inner groove where the cups slide in). Also, you are liable to have non-identical construction between the two pads you get (seriously annoying...I might buy multiple pairs to get ones that match better), but despite this, they rock. They are $20.00 on Amazon or $6.00 or so from China on ebay.

Don't get me wrong, the L-Cush is great. It really is fine, and I found myself totally satisfied with the sound while using them. That is, until I compared them to the EZ G-Cush side by side. Easy win for the EZ G-Cush. The main differences are as follows:

1) More substantial bass from the EZ G-Cush. Not bloated. Just sounds great.

2) The sound is spread out more around you with the EZ G-Cush. L-Cush sound slightly claustrophobic in comparison 

3) Midrange just as intimate as with the L-Cush. Love me some intimate midrange.

4) The sound is more rich with the EZ G-Cush as opposed to the thinness you get with the official Grado G-Cush.

5) The EZ G-Cush is the most comfortable pad I've tried for Grados.

Drawbacks:

1) While the soundstage is wider with the EZ G-Cush, I think the L-Cush has a little more...something. A little more precise imaging, perhaps. Maybe some added soundstage depth as well, even though the sound isn't as expansive.

Another note about my pad selection. I took the Geekria S-Cush and cut it to be thinner, then I put it on first. I then placed whatever pads I was using over top of the S-Cush rings (they look more like rings than pads after trimming), and I stuffed the foam rings into the trenches cut into the pads. It's kind of a pain to do, but with some stretching and tucking, it works. I did this because the extra foam adds some sub bass and stretches out the other pads a little without making them so loose as to fall off. You get some extra sound stage this way. The effect is somewhat subtle but I like it enough that I pretty much can't live without it now.

Other Gear:

DAC and amp used for this review: Aune T1 (pictured above)

This DAC/Amp combo unit tends to merely be decent sounding, but for some reason, it is fantastic with Grados. I also tried the Nhoord with the Audioquest Dragonfly Red and iFi Micro iCan. The AudioQuest DragonFly Red is fantastic and sounds better than my Aune T1, but I'm selling the DFR right now because, while it's better than the T1, I'd rather invest the money into more headphones.The iFi Micro iCan is really nice because of all of the features it has. It's basically the swiss army knife of amps. Multiple bass boost settings and 3D effect settings, gain settings, etc. I prefer this amp when I use the L-Cush pads on the Nhoord Red.

But, for the purposes of this review, assume I am simply using the Aune T1, EZ G-Cush pads, and listening to FLAC files in JRiver Media Center.

Now, onto the actual review.

Treble

This is something that I feel actual Grado headphones rarely get right. Either the highs are shrill, grainy, or both. The cleaner, more detailed treble of the Symphones Magnums is what really struck me when I built my first pair several years ago. Out of all of the Grado-style headphones I've heard, the Magnum V5/X driver provided the most sparkly treble (especially when housed in aluminum).

This is one area where I was really hoping the Nhoord Red would not let me down. I can forgive polite bass, but if I feel like details are missing, no matter how good everything else sounds, it just eats at me until I sell the headphone and move on to something else.

Fortunately, the Nhoord Red manages to achieve something very near to the treble sweet spot: clear details but with a pleasing, smooth tonality and nary a hint of grain. I admit that there are times when I'm in the mood for something extra sparkly, more sparkly than the Nhoord Red, but as a daily driver, this is right about where the treble should be.

In comparison to the V4, V5, and V6 Magnum drivers, the Nhoord Red is closest to the V4 in this department but is overall more detailed.

Midrange

In my opinion, the midrange is where the Nhoord Red works its magic the most. I like an aggressive, intimate midrange, teeming with details, yet never becoming shouty or uncomfortable. I think this is where all of the comments about the Nhoord Red having “soul” are coming from. With the Nhoord Red, vocals come through with intense clarity and are never rough in their presentation.

One reason I almost always have a Grado-style headphone in my stable is that the midrange forwardness that is often a feature of these headphones can make you feel like you are listening to band live. It seems to me that a lot of the emotion of a song will often be communicated through the midrange. I think the style of midrange is what makes Grado-style headphones so polarizing. Some people want headphones to help sooth and relax them through music, while other people want their music to grip them and not let me. The Nhoord Red is for listeners who want to be gripped.

Bass

Ahhh, the bass response. This is the achilles heel of all Grado style headphones. Anyone who has listened to the well known, more bass heavy headphones will quickly recognize that Grado-style headphones are not for bassheads. That said, the bass is extremely important because many, many songs do not demand thumping subbass, but rather do need a headphone with a punchy midbass.

The Nhoord Red has what I think is the best bass response out of any Grado-style headphones I've heard. The V4 Magnum lacked subbass, the V5 was bass light generally, and the V6 had bass that was a bit too boomy. The Nhoord Red, however, does bass about as good as I can possibly imagine within the limitations of the Grado-style design. Bass extends low and remains tight. I do not feel like I am missing any parts of the songs I listen to regularly, something that can't really be said for the other Grado-style headphones I've heard.

If you are familiar with the higher end Grados like the GS and PS series...in my opinion they lack bass. Period. I just borrowed the GS2000e for a week, and while it did some things rather well, bass was not one of them. On that note, just for context, I spent just a bit over $300 putting these headphones together. The GS2000e is $1400. In my opinion the Nhoord Red sounds better (of course, this may not be a shock to the Grado defectors out there).

Anyway, getting back to the Nhoord Red bass. The natural response of these drivers is fantastic and it can easily be tweaked to get just the right amount of bass presence for your personal preferences. L-Cush will give you less bass and decent soundstage. EZ G-Cush will give you more bass and more soundstage width. S-Cush will give you more bass and less soudstage. Then, depending on the pads you choose, you may then determine one amp is better suited than another. For me, I chose EZ G-Cush plus clean sounding amp. I could also enjoy the L-Cush with a bassy sounding amp. Both setups sound good.

All that good stuff said, the traditional limitations of the Grado-style driver still apply. These headphones are not for bassheads. The bass is smooth, it is detailed, and it is punchy, but it is not immense, deep, and authoritative.

Soundstage and Imaging

This is an area where I immediately felt like the Nhoord Red distanced itself from other Grado and Grado-style headphones I've heard. With the L-Cush pads, these drivers provide surprisingly good imaging and instrument placement. The instrument separation is exceptional as well. I think a little of this magic is lost when I use my EZ G-Cush pads, but you gain in so many other areas that I think the trade off is worth it. Regardless of the pad type, I found the Nhoord Red to be very responsive to different DACs, amps, and tubes, and that the drivers are capable of taking advantage of equipment pairings that are more spacious in their presentation.  

Conclusion

I'll keep it simple. I think the Nhoord Red is awesome. I'm the kind of person who has always longed to have just that one headphone that sounds awesome all the time with everything. Well, put on the breaks a moment because the Nhoord Red is not that. It has a specific sound that is in the same ballpark as all other Grado-style headphones. Some people will crave this presentation, some will run from it. Over the years, I have slowly come to terms with the fact that I really probably should keep multiple headphones in my stable to suit different moods, genres, songs, etc. I'm pretty sure that the Nhoord Red is going to stick around in my stable for a long time for when I want to really be gripped by and involved in the music I'm listening to.

----

In case you are interested, here is a youtube playlist of some of the songs that I listened to while evaluating the Nhoord Red:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeoulfcblAKDUYiJipgzeSdcn-r1uycif

Bravo!. It's exactly the same way I feel. Captured my sentiments exactly. 
Jaco has done a fantastic job. My thanks and applause to Jaco. 

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #52 of 597
I made a little edit to my review noting that the L-Cush vs EZ G-Cush choice is something that has come down to the mood I'm in. Both good pads. I think people should start with L-Cush and try the EZ G-Cush if they are curious.

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #53 of 597
I was initially going to build around the Symphones v7 driver, but I think instead I'm going to pivot and give these driversa try. Just ordered the last pair of turbulent labs' batch 008 cups (red mahogany). Will be getting the headset assembly from headphile and swapping in aluminum gimbals and the TL onyx manta headband. cable is canare mini star quad that I had laying around, terminated with a 1/4" phono plug. will probably buy both L-cush and G-cush pads to see which I prefer.

I'll be driving them with a JDS Labs odac and my custom SEP tube amp directly off the speaker terminals.

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #54 of 597
  I was initially going to build around the Symphones v7 driver, but I think instead I'm going to pivot and give these driversa try. Just ordered the last pair of turbulent labs' batch 008 cups (red mahogany). Will be getting the headset assembly from headphile and swapping in aluminum gimbals and the TL onyx manta headband. cable is canare mini star quad that I had laying around, terminated with a 1/4" phono plug. will probably buy both L-cush and G-cush pads to see which I prefer.

I'll be driving them with a JDS Labs odac and my custom SEP tube amp directly off the speaker terminals.

Please post some pictures after completed, sounds like a really nice project
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #56 of 597
Having had some more time to listen and appreciate the Nhoord. Here's some more impressions.
The Ypsilon seems very detailed. But the details are not well defined or separated. It is also presented in more edgy and sharp ways.
The Nhoord by comparison provides even more detail but they are more defined, clean and separated. There is a larger and blacker soundstage. And it's presented in a more natural and smooth way.
The Hnoord definitely has better imaging and more fun (immersive and toe tapping good). 
dt880smile.png

As for the Magnum V6, It's been awhile, but they had somewhat of a bloated bass and thin recessed mids and depending on the song sibilant treble.
I kind of liked them with Flats though but not so much with bowls. 

I don't know why more people aren't jumping on this. We need to get this driver and let some people in the Grado Fan thread hear it.  I think they will stop raving about the GH1 and GS2000e start raving about this. My two cents.
wink.gif

I'm doing all my impression on the Chord Mojo by itself and also paired with Cavalli Liquid Carbon. I'm waiting for the microZotl2-S get here so I can enjoy some tubes with them.

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #57 of 597
  Having had some more time to listen and appreciate the Nhoord. Here's some more impressions.
The Ypsilon seems very detailed. But the details are not well defined or separated. It is also presented in more edgy and sharp ways.
The Nhoord by comparison provides even more detail but they are more defined, clean and separated. There is a larger and blacker soundstage. And it's presented in a more natural and smooth way.
The Hnoord definitely has better imaging and more fun (immersive and toe tapping good). 
dt880smile.png

I don't know why more people aren't jumping on this. We need to get this driver and let some people in the Grado Fan thread hear it.  I think they will stop raving about the GH1 and GS2000e start raving about this. My two cents.
wink.gif

I'm doing all my impression on the Chord Mojo by itself and also paired with Cavalli Liquid Carbon. I'm waiting for the microZotl2-S get here so I can enjoy some tubes with them.

A side note...@javburg  uses a Mojo as well...might explain the synergy :).

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #58 of 597

A side note...@javburg  uses a Mojo as well...might explain the synergy :).

Yes, it sounds very balanced with the Mojo. 

I have also been comparing the Nhoord with my HD800 with Draug 2 Cable (on my Mojo) and I will say that the Nhoord does not lose much in detail. 
If I listen critically, maybe I can pick up some things better on the HD800 than the Nhoord but the Nhoord performs pretty darn well.
I feel like it comes pretty close to it where I don't feel like I'm losing much going from HD800 to the Nhoord. 

Honestly I listen to the Nhoord more than the HD800 because I just like how the Nhoord presents the music better than the HD800.

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #59 of 597

Yes, it sounds very balanced with the Mojo. 

I have also been comparing the Nhoord with my HD800 with Draug 2 Cable (on my Mojo) and I will say that the Nhoord does not lose much in detail. 
If I listen critically, maybe I can pick up some things better on the HD800 than the Nhoord but the Nhoord performs pretty darn well.
I feel like it comes pretty close to it where I don't feel like I'm losing much going from HD800 to the Nhoord. 

Honestly I listen to the Nhoord more than the HD800 because I just like how the Nhoord presents the music better than the HD800.

I also like the ypsilon a little more than my HD-800, the sound is just more musical, some genres just sound a little to spaced out with the HD-800 but for classical its hard to beat.  I been doing some other projects but your description of the Nhoord Red has me itching a bit more to get one and do another build and put my other projects on the side for now, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back