Grado Modders Go Nhoord?!?!
Aug 12, 2016 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 597

fleasbaby

Member of the Trade: Wabi Sabi Headphones
Another driver maker has entered the marketplace. It's great to see more guys like this popping up. Modding Grados and building Grado-esque cans is a deeply satisfying sub-genre in the lunacy that is the headphone hobby. Here are some pictures of the prototypes in the cups I have been using them in (Burmese Blackwood driver seat and outside face, Black Limba body). Note the absence of mesh over the outer face. This has changed, and they now ship with it. In the meantime, I was given some discs of mesh to simply slip between my pads and the drivers. Worked very nicely:

These are the final versions of the drivers. Again, mine came with no mesh. They all ship with mesh now:

These are the dimensions:

I noted in the Grado Mods thread that I have heard a pair of the prototypes for these drivers specifically, and definitely like what I hear. I now have a production pair waiting for me to make some cups for them, and give them a go.

More impressions to follow. For now, here's the website:

www.nhoord.com

Aug 13, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #5 of 597
Cheers thanks man. Now I need to investigate this a little more
wink.gif

Check out the Grado Modders Go Magnum thread, the Grado Modders Go Ypsilon thread, the Grado Mods thread and the non-Grado Driver thread....all have a ton of great info. Shoot me a PM as well if you'd like. I love talking about this sort of thing. Have been doing it personally for years now.

Aug 13, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #6 of 597
First post updated with pictures and a little more info.

Aug 13, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #8 of 597
  Mounting recommendation same as ypsilon?  press fit flush with edge of cup?  Are you using an amp with them?  the efficiency seems on the low side.

Yes indeed. Press-fit, flush with edge. No amp on my side. I've used them with an iPod Touch (4th gen), a FiiO X5 (first gen), a FiiO X5 (first gen) with an E12 amp and the AK120 (first gen). No need for an amp at all.

Aug 14, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #9 of 597
Check out the Grado Modders Go Magnum thread, the Grado Modders Go Ypsilon thread, the Grado Mods thread and the non-Grado Driver thread....all have a ton of great info. Shoot me a PM as well if you'd like. I love talking about this sort of thing. Have been doing it personally for years now.

Thanks mate. I'll definitely check it out.
Also cheers for offering up your time :)

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #11 of 597
Can you describe the sound and how it compares to stock Grado drivers?

Which Grado driver you ask? Have you heard a GH-1?

Aug 18, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #12 of 597
Can you describe the sound and how it compares to stock Grado drivers?

Which Grado driver you ask? Have you heard a GH-1?

I guess I'd say, think of a pair of Grado SR80 pinks, with more clarity.

I haven't heard a pair of GH-1, but have been tempted by yours in the classifieds
redface.gif

Aug 18, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #14 of 597
  @fleasbaby and anyone else who has tried these and other drivers, which driver do you prefer between Nhoord, Ypsilon and Magnum V7?

I prefer the Nhoord prototypes I have. Going to try and squeeze making some cups for the production version of the Nhoord in this weekend so I can hear them and give solid impressions in a week (burn-in and then healthy head-time).

Aug 18, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #15 of 597

I prefer the Nhoord prototypes I have. Going to try and squeeze making some cups for the production version of the Nhoord in this weekend so I can hear them and give solid impressions in a week (burn-in and then healthy head-time).

Thanks for the quick reply, what is the sound quality that makes the Nhoord your choice over the ypsilon and magnum?  I really like the ypsilon for the solid bass it has over the PX-100ii and the highs are smoother than the magnum V6 that I heard a while back.  No need to reply quickly, would rather wait until you can get a solid impression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back