Grado GS1000 GS-1000 GS1 GS1K [ Official Customer Satisfaction/ Appreciation Thread ]
Jun 2, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #166 of 189

and at low to moderate levels - which I prefer to listen to them at - and esp. with the 
midrange lightly boosted through eq by ear....my GS1000i's are absolutely sublime (even after
7 months of using 2 hrs. + per day).

...Can't recommend them enough!

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #167 of 189
and at low to moderate levels - which I prefer to listen to them at - and esp. with the 
midrange lightly boosted through eq by ear....my GS1000i's are absolutely sublime (even after
7 months of using 2 hrs. + per day).

...Can't recommend them enough!

I agree! Not only do my GS1000i 's best all of my (24) other Grados, I prefer them to my HE1000s and HD 800s! And I LOVE both of those.

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #168 of 189

the GS1000i's are superb in revealing musicality and subtlety of expression
and sound. In my system, they are epic!

I'm wondering if the GS1000e can benefit from equalization as well.

for an example of the kind of music nice to listen to with my Grados:

Patricia Barber:

https://youtu.be/Z0wNR6Zu-wQ

What A Shame   (Cafe Blue - 1994)

and:

https://youtu.be/z0B9qwF78ps

Patricia Barber - Code Cool  (Smash (2013))

......If you like soulful, masterful music (and superb vocals), check out the above!

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #169 of 189
@ruthieandjohn @headfry

Thanks for all the test impressions and overall recommendation on the GS1000i.

I came quite close to buying the GS1000e a couple weeks ago for quite a good price, but left it in my cart too long while researching the impressions on Head-Fi and it sold out.

I hope it was a good thing as I just picked up a like new set of GS1000i on ebay, and must say that the first listen sounds quite on a par with my HD800 HPs, and to my surprise nothing like my GS225e HPs....I'm thinking that's a good thing
smile.gif

Now to do some critical listening on my collection of HiRes flacs.

Sep 6, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #170 of 189
  @ruthieandjohn @headfry

Thanks for all the test impressions and overall recommendation on the GS1000i.

I came quite close to buying the GS1000e a couple weeks ago for quite a good price, but left it in my cart too long while researching the impressions on Head-Fi and it sold out.

I hope it was a good thing as I just picked up a like new set of GS1000i on ebay, and must say that the first listen sounds quite on a par with my HD800 HPs, and to my surprise nothing like my GS225e HPs....I'm thinking that's a good thing
smile.gif

Now to do some critical listening on my collection of HiRes flacs.

I prefer the GS1000i over the GS1000e.  Here are my comparisons of those two, plus the RS2e, another favorite of mine, on 10 acoustic features... higher numbers are better.

Oct 31, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #171 of 189
Just bought a new GH-1 and love the sound of this first grado I own. 

Got a unexpected offer to buy a 2,5 year old GS1000i with about 30h on them for around 800 bucks. What do you guys think, would this be a good second pair? I was thinking maybe the sound of GS will be a bit wider but maybe not as musical as GH...

Oct 31, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #172 of 189
  Just bought a new GH-1 and love the sound of this first grado I own. 

Got a unexpected offer to buy a 2,5 year old GS1000i with about 30h on them for around 800 bucks. What do you guys think, would this be a good second pair? I was thinking maybe the sound of GS will be a bit wider but maybe not as musical as GH...

The GS1000i for me is the best pair of Grados of my 26 pairs, much better than the GS1000e that is currently sold.  As they are no longer made, I think that if they are in like-new condition (as it sounds that they are), that is a good buy!

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #173 of 189

The GS1000i for me is the best pair of Grados of my 26 pairs, much better than the GS1000e that is currently sold.  As they are no longer made, I think that if they are in like-new condition (as it sounds that they are), that is a good buy!

Are they about same weight and same comfort wearing as GH1. Only difference is G-Cush?

How would you compare soundsignature vs GH1? What's changing?

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #174 of 189
In my opinion,
the GS1000i's are one of the most musical, best sounding headphones at lower volumes -
doesn't have the greatest (nor strongest) bass, but the bass is good and the music is (for
my music and tastes)-  sounding absolutely. and consistently extremely engaging -
the artist's original intention is easily and supremely conveyed on good/great recordings out there!!

....for me an end-game Grado!

Feb 2, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #175 of 189
I am seriously considering the GS1000e.

I am wondering whether they are difficult to drive. What kind of amp is required?

I was planning on pairing them with my Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD tube amp. Not sure whether it is powerful enough... or whether tubes are a good match.

Thoughts? 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #176 of 189
I am seriously considering the GS1000e.

I am wondering whether they are difficult to drive. What kind of amp is required?

I was planning on pairing them with my Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD tube amp. Not sure whether it is powerful enough... or whether tubes are a good match.

Thoughts? :bigsmile_face:

The Mapletree Audio Design Ear + HD is regarded as uniquely suited for driving Grados, including the GS1000e. In fact, with all my (27) Grados, that would be the next amp I would get. All Grados are equally drivable, all with 32 ohms impedance and differing by only 3dB in sensitivity (the -e's are the more sensitive).

I use my GS1000es Very frequently, as I walk my dogs morning and evening and appreciate them as the lightest and most mobile of the Grado over-ear headphones (along with the GS2000e, which sounds even better, but costs 50% more). Even though the GS1000es do not excel when compared side by side to other Grados for me, they are excellent on their own, with tight bass, clear hits, and HUGE soundstage and great comfort, and they improve VERY slowly with use (mine at 300 hours continue to improve).

Hope this helps.

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #177 of 189
The Mapletree Audio Design Ear + HD is regarded as uniquely suited for driving Grados, including the GS1000e. In fact, with all my (27) Grados, that would be the next amp I would get. All Grados are equally drivable, all with 32 ohms impedance and differing by only 3dB in sensitivity (the -e's are the more sensitive).

I use my GS1000es Very frequently, as I walk my dogs morning and evening and appreciate them as the lightest and most mobile of the Grado over-ear headphones (along with the GS2000e, which sounds even better, but costs 50% more). Even though the GS1000es do not excel when compared side by side to other Grados for me, they are excellent on their own, with tight bass, clear hits, and HUGE soundstage and great comfort, and they improve VERY slowly with use (mine at 300 hours continue to improve).

Hope this helps.

Thank you ruthiandjohn. I was a bit worried as I have been reading multiple posts about the GS1000 being difficult to drive properly, and I did not want to have to buy a new amp.

I will go to an audio store this afternoon to listen to the GS1000e. I will bring my Mapletree. Hopefully, the cans I will try will have some burn-in on them (fingers crossed)

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #178 of 189
Even though the GS1000es do not excel when compared side by side to other Grados for me, they are excellent on their own, with tight bass, clear hits, and HUGE soundstage and great comfort

it seems that the "e" extends less at lows and highs than the "i" , overall the "i" seems to be more smooth sounding headphone

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #179 of 189
Desi said:

it seems that the "e" extends less at lows and highs than the "i" , overall the "i" seems to be more smooth sounding headphone

This is one of the VERY FEW frequency plot comparisons of the -i and eversion of the same Grado. Thanks!

(I PREFER the GS1000i, but still love the GS1000e -- I have both).

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #180 of 189
  Thank you ruthiandjohn. I was a bit worried as I have been reading multiple posts about the GS1000 being difficult to drive properly, and I did not want to have to buy a new amp.

I will go to an audio store this afternoon to listen to the GS1000e. I will bring my Mapletree. Hopefully, the cans I will try will have some burn-in on them (fingers crossed)

The GH-1 are powerful enough to rock the G cush, in fact they give my PS1000 a run for their money.

Grados are some of the easyest headphones to drive. Grados will sing even if they're hooked up to a canary's butt, that's how sensitive they are.

Just don't do the same mistake I did and use the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter...........poor Engelbird.
redface.gif

Oh! I almost fogot, a bit of KY will probably appreciated, I know I do, damn coloscopy!!!
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back