GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #766 of 1,160
The GR10s are quite hissy with a noisy/poor-quality source. Laptops don't tend to have very clean-sounding headphone jacks. Mine is the same way, sounds great from any portable player but really noisy from my laptop. You could always get a different source for your laptop - an add-on sound-card or portable USB DAC/amp or something... a higher-quality source will definitely help.

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #767 of 1,160
  Nice impressions Spyro.

Yes.   The GR8 is also made in Japan.  If you haven't tried the EQ-7, I think it's worth auditioning as I preferred in every category over the GR8.  Regarding the bass, I recall the GR8 having more but doesn't hold a candle to the EQ-7 with its transparency, and what really won me over - space.  I'll wait and see for the next round of impressions after the magical "100 hour" mark.  Depending on the outcome, I may just pick up the GR10, or own

According to some info I found the ortofon´s have the same technique as the Grado,just another outside package.The EQ-5 same as GR8 and the EQ7 same ás the GR10, In the meanwhile they working at a EQ-8, anyone know more?

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #770 of 1,160
Hi! I'm looking for a great quality dac or dac/amp to match this Grado GR10 (I have them since 1 week and love them). It's mostly to remove to noise from the PC I use at work and add a small bass boost. It's for 100% use at my job. It will be plugged in the USB port all the time at work.

There is some candidates that I spotted, since i'm a newbie in dac/amp gear, there is so much options and I don't know witch one could be the best match, budget is between 200-500$.:
- JDS Labs O2 280$ or the C5D 250$: great clean and dark background
- ALO Audio "The Island" 300$ : simple and small, could really love the big volume control on the top
- Fostex HP-A4 400$: great dac, clean background
- Ifi Idac 300$ & Ifi USBPower 200$: good dac/amp combo with USB noise cleaner
- On another thread, someone have suggested : Fiio E10 80$

Any suggestions? Thanks! 

Feb 2, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #774 of 1,160
  RSA Intruder is superb, and works all the way the food chain.

Yeah the RSA products looks very good and hi-rated, a friend of mine have a cousin who have the RSA "Predator" and he was very impressed by the product. For the Intruder, it's a bit too pricey for me 700$, the Predator 475$ is on my list too, but I worry about RSA DAC16bit/48...I was looking for at least 24/96. I'm sure the amp is very good, but those Grado don't really need a big amplification, i just want a little bass boost, a good DAC and a black (clean) background.

I'm a little peaky because I want something to fit with these Grado IEM, don't plan to use it with other headphones. Since I listen 80% of time the music at my job (between 3-5 hours), i want something good, small and discreet that I would leave on my desk, below 500$. The new Fostex HP-A4 seems to have a very good DAC, but there is not enough reviews at this time to tell. 

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #776 of 1,160
I finally choose the little Aune T1 tube dac/amp to match thoses Grado GR10! Just ordered from Ebay, can wait! I heard that tube are a good match for Grado headphones, so I gonna try it. This is my first purchase for a dac/amp, so I hope it's gonna sound good and be fun to try different tubes!

Feb 8, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #777 of 1,160
The GR10's are amazing with vocal and acoustic but a little on the lean side and, as mentioned, VERY picky with sources.

Grado's pricing arrogance annoys me.  The $400 price tag is grossly overpriced.  The W4R is a similar sounding IEM costing the same and is much better as a total product.  GR10's should be in the $250 category.  They must not sell many of them.

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #778 of 1,160

Grado's pricing arrogance annoys me.  The $400 price tag is grossly overpriced.  The W4R is a similar sounding IEM costing the same and is much better as a total product.  GR10's should be in the $250 category.  They must not sell many of them.

i wanna try GR-10 very much , i am sure i am gonna like it , but 400$ is too much ,you are right again spyro.

grado is taking advantage of its brand name imo

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #779 of 1,160

i wanna try GR-10 very much , i am sure i am gonna like it , but 400$ is too much ,you are right again spyro.

grado is taking advantage of its brand name imo

I feel the same,therefore I did obt for a Sennheiser IE80 wich now come really affordable in Germany.less than half the Price of the GR 10 for a product at least on the same Level.In Europe the GR10 cost 400 Euro wich is over 500 Dollar??, so way to expensive.

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #780 of 1,160
The GR-10s run about US$310 in Japan, and periodically dip to US$280 on sale.  I picked up a pair at that price, and preferred them to the Westone 4Rs.  It's always a matter of taste, but I liked the GR-10's forward sound in IEMs I use on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back