GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Nov 13, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #886 of 1,160
  I'm also interested in how this compares to the Hifiman RE-600.  I have the RE-400 and love that sound.  Plus I am into earphones where the cable doesn't wrap over the ear.  It looks like the only higher end options at the $400 price range are RE-600 and GR10

I've posted a short comparison of six IEMs (IE800 <> Rockets <> e-Q8 <> RE600 <> Tenore <> GR10) in the Rockets thread. Note that my RE600 are filter modded.

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #887 of 1,160
Thanks. I forgot you had those big ears and can't always use stock tips. It's a big deal on the GR10 but I suspect they'd never be your cup of tea.
beerchug.gif
 I suspect they'd tame the EQ8 a bit as well.

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #888 of 1,160
I've just brought the GR10 for the second time and noticed some differences in the design. They had a hole in the green body underneath just in front of the stain relief. Cosmetically the silver nozzle part was shiny silver instead of brushed and dull in color . I thought that I had ended up with fakes but I contacted Grado and they said

you have the most current production GR10.

the holes are vents which provide greater bass extension.

So it seems that they have redesigned and improved the GR10 under the radar.

I havnt had chance to have a good listen yet so not sure if there is indeed any sonic differences .

Sorry if this has been mentioned before in the tread but thought it was pretty significant .

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #890 of 1,160
I've just brought the GR10 for the second time and noticed some differences in the design. They had a hole in the green body underneath just in front of the stain relief. Cosmetically the silver nozzle part was shiny silver instead of brushed and dull in color . I thought that I had ended up with fakes but I contacted Grado and they said

I havnt had chance to have a good listen yet so not sure if there is indeed any sonic differences .

Sorry if this has been mentioned before in the tread but thought it was pretty significant .
strange, there was never a mention of this ar the Grado webseite or Facebook wall.

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #891 of 1,160
I can't see any other changes . I got confirmation from Grado UK any Grado US just to be sure . I'm really interested to see if this has changed the sound significantly . I'll have a good listen over the next few days and report back. Trouble is I got rid of my original gr10 a couple of months ago so might be difficult to compare from memory. Look at this picture for the changes

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #893 of 1,160
It will certainly affect them. Wonder if other things have changed as well.
strange, there was never a mention of this ar the Grado webseite or Facebook wall.
I can't see any other changes . I got confirmation from Grado UK any Grado US just to be sure . I'm really interested to see if this has changed the sound significantly . I'll have a good listen over the next few days and report back. Trouble is I got rid of my original gr10 a couple of months ago so might be difficult to compare from memory. Look at this picture for the changes

Further to this I have given them a good listen for a couple of hours and from memory the bass impact is actually less on this new design than I can remember from the old . I think the bass goes slightly lower but impact wise very weak. Shame really as less bass impact is definitely what the gr10 does not need. Maybe they wIll burn in a bit, fingers crossed.

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #896 of 1,160

Thank you very much, youngsm10.

Sold my first GR10 about a year ago, changed my setup afterwards and regretted selling the GR10.
Purchased a new one 3 weeks ago and only noticed the shiny silvery difference.
Bass presence was much less then I expected, couldn't believe it's the setup's fault and thought I was loosing my mind...

I just covered the holes with some cellotape and voila!

Many thanks go to Grado for not notifying a soul regarding the improvements.

Nov 16, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #897 of 1,160
how do these compare to the hifiman RE-272 and RE-600 ?

I have an urge to try these iems out , only thing that keeps me is their high price and the mention from people here that this is like a slightly improved EQ-5 (which never really wooed me)

Nov 16, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #898 of 1,160
M

I have an urge to try these iems out , only thing that keeps me is their high price and the mention from people here that this is like a slightly improved EQ-5 (which never really wooed me)
Many say things about the GR10 but only few have them. Any IEM is a matter of compromises, and for me the compromise I have to make is the less dynamic bass, but in all other disciplines they are a class act. With the use of Comply tips and the bass boost on of my iPhone the result is very satisfying, a dac/ amp can provide more body to the bass but this depends on the style(s) of music you listen to. In my case avant-prog and with complicated music , voices, acoustic instruments the GR10 shines.

Nov 16, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #899 of 1,160

Unfortunately I can only compare them to the re-400 and re-600.

re-400 quite spacial, bass not overdone, mids well presented for voices and treble nicely extended, giving sparkle.

re-600 same sound sig. but more refined overall, smoother than the re-400

GR10, roughly same sound sig. as the re-600 but much more powerful, less polite than the Hifiman's and more to the point.
Bass is not a problem at all, as long as the holes in the newer version are covered.

Nov 17, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #900 of 1,160
Thank you very much, youngsm10.

Sold my first GR10 about a year ago, changed my setup afterwards and regretted selling the GR10.
Purchased a new one 3 weeks ago and only noticed the shiny silvery difference.
Bass presence was much less then I expected, couldn't believe it's the setup's fault and thought I was loosing my mind...

I just covered the holes with some cellotape and voila!

Many thanks go to Grado for not notifying a soul regarding the improvements.

M
Many say things about the GR10 but only few have them. Any IEM is a matter of compromises, and for me the compromise I have to make is the less dynamic bass, but in all other disciplines they are a class act. With the use of Comply tips and the bass boost on of my iPhone the result is very satisfying, a dac/ amp can provide more body to the bass but this depends on the style(s) of music you listen to. In my case avant-prog and with complicated music , voices, acoustic instruments the GR10 shines.

Unfortunately I can only compare them to the re-400 and re-600.

re-400 quite spacial, bass not overdone, mids well presented for voices and treble nicely extended, giving sparkle.

re-600 same sound sig. but more refined overall, smoother than the re-400

GR10, roughly same sound sig. as the re-600 but much more powerful, less polite than the Hifiman's and more to the point.
Bass is not a problem at all, as long as the holes in the newer version are covered.

I agree with everything here, the GR10 are very special and unique. They have tho euphoric and engaging sound I have ever heard in an iem. I've not heard the re400 but I have heard the 600. The 600 is ok and does nothing wrong but it didn't make the hairs in the back of my neck stick up like the GR10 dies, it is very emotional and easy to get lost in the music . Yes it does have similarities with the eq5. I had the eq5 for many months and it is the bargain of the century and very competent . Again though it is not as emotional or engaging as the GR10. The only thing I would say about the GR10 is it really could do with a bit more bass impact and texture, but it sounds like the tape mod on the new GR10 may solve this , I'm going to try it today and I'll report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back