Grado e Series
Jan 11, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #3,016 of 6,729

Instead of calling it the e, for enhance serie, they should have called it the F, for F_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  serie
wink.gif

for Fazor ?, like Audeze? 
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #3,017 of 6,729
  i found the "e" to be a significant improvement for me
mids more present, up front, but the greatest improvement was made to the treble, smoother, refined, but still grado in every sense of the word !

I have the SR325i and a SR325e here and I find with a side by side comparison that the mids are the part where the SR325e is behind the SR325i. The SR325e is more smooth, the highs are tamed and the bass is more prominent but less punchy compared to the SR325i. But the mids of the SR325i are the part, why I like this headphone so much. From all my gradessandros it is the one that does the best for vocals. And guitars sound just right with it. The SR325e was first  pleasing my ears more easily. But I missed something with this headphone... I really prefer the SR325i.

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #3,018 of 6,729
  So you mean the Bushmills are not that much of an improvement over the SR80? I'm very curios about those closed Grados, but here in Singapore I don't think I will ever get the chance to audition them.

First, the Bushmills are not closed, it just seems like they are, they are vented all around the inside perimeter of the cup.

Second, both my SR80i, and SR80e, and my Bushmills, are all sporting some new L-Cush, instead of their original comfies.

Third, you wrote SR80, I don't currently owned the SR80, but from what I can remember, the Bushmills would be a significant improvement. If however, you meant to write, SR80i, they would still be an an improvement, in all areas, just not as marked. And finally, if the SR80e, are the ones you had in mind, then the difference is a lot more subtle. I'd still give the Bushmills the nod, simply because it sounds a bit smoother.

As I've said before, I think that at $395, the Bushmills X have a very good price vs performance ratio. They come in a nice wooden crate, with a plexi glass front cover, plus they even throw in a nice carrying bag. Heck!, I even preferred them, to the RS1i.

But when it comes to price vs performance ratio, nothing beats the SR80e. I thought that the SR80i, but the SR80e sounds so good, it's not even funny.

However, keep in mind that the Bushmills X are a limited edition. I have heard that some Bushmills have already been sold for a profit, so who knows what they'll be worth in the future.

Agreed that it is confusing for potential buyers who are not sure if they are paying for the headphones with the updated changes and also may not seem fair to existing owners who paid for the same product but not with updated changes.  Unfortunately this is reality of life.  To understand, small companies like Grado has a dilemma. The e series is just introduced few months ago so it is essentially a  very new product line. On one hand it is a new product and the other hand they have to make incremental improvement upon many feedback. It is unlikely that Grado will quickly come out new model to fit the issue because it is not their way of doing things, and also doing so will mean product recall with financial consequences (etc shipping back cost, admin cost, selling at discount etc) and not to mention a dent in customer and retailer trust. Judging from the previous release to current e model, it takes more than 4 years to introduce the replacement products. So we can either wait for another few years before they fit the issue with another replacement model or they can do so as and when they seem fit.  I rather they rectify the issue before there is  more negative feedbacks surface. Taken positively it shows that they are listening genuinely for feedback to improve their products. In fact Grado has been doing incremental changes all this while like in case of changing the driver enclosure of ps1000 from matte to chrome surface and probably others as well , only for the public to discover the changes. Besides it is the same for other headphone vendors like hifiman,  Audeze (who change from vertical headphone cable connector to angled connector for lcd2, and changing of headphone case). So potential buyers will just have to do their own due diligence in reading up headfi to keep abreast of the latest changes to headphone when they paying so much for the headphone.

Sound signature is subjective so it is  difficult to "If the turkey's not cooked, don't serve it,  leave it in the oven, and wait till it's done.". What sounds good to Grado may not sound good to others. It is only when the products are put on the market that they are really put on the test and that is when company start to monitor their reception and make adjustment based on number of similar feedback (or complaint). Good thing to me is that Grado still has the golden ears as I feel that the e series on the whole sound remarkable only the rs1e need better sound improvement to justify its price and position compare to its siblings. In this case, some may like Grado's voicing and comfort for rs1e but some may not, it is only when there is enough voices with reasonable feedback that they find it good enough to warrant the changes.

If Bushmills is any indication of successful experiment, won't be surprised that Grado will launch closed-back headphones in the future. 
bigsmile_face.gif

I have owned Grados for the last 9 years, and aside from the occasional quality control problems, you knew what you would get, when you ordered a pair.

These days however, it seams like ordering Grados, is anything but predictable. Especially the higher end models, Grado is shipping i, with e drivers, and although it's true that some people will see this as good thing, others may actually prefer the i's sound signature, what then?.

The earpads also created confusion between Head-Fi members, some were saying that there was no differences, others disagreed, and showed pictrues to back up their claim. In my opinion, both camps were right. I think that Grados simply had some of the old pads left over, and Grado being Grado, they simply shipped the first e's with what they had left of the old earpads. So, if you want to try the new earpads, it's going to cost you, and Grado earpads aren't cheap.

I'm all for improvement, but in some cases, it seems like their just throwing whatever parts they have lying around. I mean how can a pair of $1000 or so, GS1000e make it out of Grado with a 1/8'' connector?. I can't be the only one who thinks that this is unacceptable. I'd like to see how the Audeze fans would react if the company decided to ship a few LCD-2 with 1/8 terminals.

I always thought that Grado used the 1/8'' conectors on the ''portable'' models, and that the models that were more likely to be used in the home on full size rigs, got the 1/4''. I thought it made sense, but now...

As I have said before, I'm lucky enough to have a Grado dealer close to my home, so I don't run the risk of bringing home a pair on ''Frankenstein''. But for some, ordering online is their only option, and to those people, all I can say is good luck!. 

By now, it may seem like I hate Grado. I don't, not yet anyway, but if they don't get their act together, they may lose a loyal customer. I have always considered myself a Grado fan, but I'm certainly not a fanboy, wich means that I'm not going to kiss their arse, if what it needs is a kick. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #3,019 of 6,729
I think the GS1000e with the 1/8" plug is a manufacturing mistake rather than a decision using existing cable stocks, because the GS1000e is supposed be with the thicker 12 conductor cables which the 1/8" plug was never an option.

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #3,020 of 6,729

I have the SR325i and a SR325e here and I find with a side by side comparison that the mids are the part where the SR325e is behind the SR325i. The SR325e is more smooth, the highs are tamed and the bass is more prominent but less punchy compared to the SR325i. But the mids of the SR325i are the part, why I like this headphone so much. From all my gradessandros it is the one that does the best for vocals. And guitars sound just right with it. The SR325e was first  pleasing my ears more easily. But I missed something with this headphone... I really prefer the SR325i.

You read my mind! I'm definitely selling my 325e to get the is back.

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #3,021 of 6,729

some folks do, 
i never owned the 325i, but absolutely love the 325e
as for the gs1000e, i feel there isn't an area that there isn't an improvement for me, i may yet have another !

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #3,022 of 6,729

I own and owend several Grados/Alessandros and have heard almost every 'i' model, I do agree that the mids of the sr325is is quite delicious, even surpass the rs1i & mspro in some ways. Haven't heard the e series yet so I cannot comment on that.

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #3,023 of 6,729

First, the Bushmills are not closed, it just seems like they are, they are vented all around the inside perimeter of the cup.

Second, both my SR80i, and SR80e, and my Bushmills, are all sporting some new L-Cush, instead of their original comfies.

Third, you wrote SR80, I don't currently owned the SR80, but from what I can remember, the Bushmills would be a significant improvement. If however, you meant to write, SR80i, they would still be an an improvement, in all areas, just not as marked. And finally, if the SR80e, are the ones you had in mind, then the difference is a lot more subtle. I'd still give the Bushmills the nod, simply because it sounds a bit smoother.

As I've said before, I think that at $395, the Bushmills X have a very good price vs performance ratio. They come in a nice wooden crate, with a plexi glass front cover, plus they even throw in a nice carrying bag. Heck!, I even preferred them, to the RS1i.

But when it comes to price vs performance ratio, nothing beats the SR80e. I thought that the SR80i, but the SR80e sounds so good, it's not even funny.

However, keep in mind that the Bushmills X are a limited edition. I have heard that some Bushmills have already been sold for a profit, so who knows what they'll be worth in the future.

I have owned Grados for the last 9 years, and aside from the occasional quality control problems, you knew what you would get, when you ordered a pair.

These days however, it seams like ordering Grados, is anything but predictable. Especially the higher end models, Grado is shipping i, with e drivers, and although it's true that some people will see this as good thing, others may actually prefer the i's sound signature, what then?.

The earpads also created confusion between Head-Fi members, some were saying that there was no differences, others disagreed, and showed pictrues to back up their claim. In my opinion, both camps were right. I think that Grados simply had some of the old pads left over, and Grado being Grado, they simply shipped the first e's with what they had left of the old earpads. So, if you want to try the new earpads, it's going to cost you, and Grado earpads aren't cheap.

I'm all for improvement, but in some cases, it seems like their just throwing whatever parts they have lying around. I mean how can a pair of $1000 or so, GS1000e make it out of Grado with a 1/8'' connector?. I can't be the only one who thinks that this is unacceptable. I'd like to see how the Audeze fans would react if the company decided to ship a few LCD-2 with 1/8 terminals.

I always thought that Grado used the 1/8'' conectors on the ''portable'' models, and that the models that were more likely to be used in the home on full size rigs, got the 1/4''. I thought it made sense, but now...

As I have said before, I'm lucky enough to have a Grado dealer close to my home, so I don't run the risk of bringing home a pair on ''Frankenstein''. But for some, ordering online is their only option, and to those people, all I can say is good luck!. 

By now, it may seem like I hate Grado. I don't, not yet anyway, but if they don't get their act together, they may lose a loyal customer. I have always considered myself a Grado fan, but I'm certainly not a fanboy, wich means that I'm not going to kiss their arse, if what it needs is a kick. 

I guess the best person to answer your question is Jonathan Grado http://jonathangrado.com/. The different way of product development is perhaps due to the newer generation of Grado family taking over the business. Read  http://headfonics.com/2014/06/grado-goes-e-an-interview-with-jonathan-grado/  and we can probably understand the mindset of how he thinks.  Younger generations tend to be more adventurous , breaking tradition, trying new things and also rely on social media for engagement, concern more of what can be done currently than what matter in the future. Probably to him is having flexibility, responsiveness and agility at expense of consistency is how Grado can compete against its competitors
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #3,024 of 6,729

Probably to him is having flexibility, responsiveness and agility at expense of consistency is how Grado can compete against its competitors
bigsmile_face.gif

In my personal opinion, I really don't feel Grado has to compete with anyone…Grado's are Grado's and there was nothing wrong with their HP's…at all. It's like your favorite restaurant thats been around for 50 years and never re-designed the interior or changed the menu/recipe's, and have an excellent business…then when they re-design the interior and start changing the menu/recipe's, it's just not the same, and people may go elsewhere, and stand a good chance of losing long time customers. Sometimes change is good, and sometimes it's not. You alway's know what you have, but you never know what your going to get! 

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #3,025 of 6,729
  Wondering if anyone has had the chance to listen to both the GS1000i and the GS1000e and if so could you tell me what you think of the two and most importantly, is the E greatly improved over the i or is it hard to tell the difference.

The general listening impression I have on e series headphones compare to previous generation is better clarity, definition and louder sound (due to the better and efficient driver) which result in deeper holographic soundstage. It is like a haze and veil are removed, sharpening the sound (warmness or roundness reduced), yet does not actually sound analytical.  To me the E series is better but also depends on your preference (to put it simply, it is analogous to solid state sound (e series) with tube-sound (prev gen) )

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #3,029 of 6,729
  In my personal opinion, I really don't feel Grado has to compete with anyone…Grado's are Grado's and there was nothing wrong with their HP's…at all. It's like your favorite restaurant thats been around for 50 years and never re-designed the interior or changed the menu/recipe's, and have an excellent business…then when they re-design the interior and start changing the menu/recipe's, it's just not the same, and people may go elsewhere, and stand a good chance of losing long time customers. Sometimes change is good, and sometimes it's not. You alway's know what you have, but you never know what your going to get! 

I do think that Grados retain at least 95% of Grados-ness since John's eras. Sure I miss the big pizza boxes and I don't like the new 1/8 terminals (it hurts my feelings!), but that Grado house sound is still there, and certain models are improved from what we love on the i.
On the contrary many other headphone brands have been Beats-tified. Look at Sennheiser: it seems they no longer care about the HD-phones and aggressively moving into the "premium closed on ears" cans market instead. The "closed on ears" market is for the mass, in Singapore they sell these headphones (Senn Urbanite/Momentum, Marshall Major, Skullcandy and yep, Beats) at book stores, electronics chains, in Back-to-school sale events... To buy a HD598 (or any Grados at all) you have to arrive at a "audiophile" store - that's a completely different experience. It should be OK if the closed on ears sound great, but they can't even beat the 10yo HD555.

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #3,030 of 6,729
In my opinion, as far as the PS1000e go, the e serie has deeper bass, and it play louder, at the same volume setting,  but I also think it has less treble extension, and a smaller soundstage. So, as far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on those two.

However, when it comes to the Prestige models, I think that the changes that the e serie brings, are an improvemenover the i serie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back