Grado e Series
Jan 12, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #3,031 of 6,729
  In my opinion, as far as the PS1000e go, the e serie has deeper bass, and it play louder, at the same volume setting,  but I also think it has less treble extension, and a smaller soundstage. So, as far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on those two.

However, when it comes to the Prestige models, I think that the changes that the e serie brings, are an improvemenover the i serie.

I wouldn't say "more treble extension on the PS1000"...instead, I would say the PS1000e has more natural treble. Certainly not pushed back like say the PS500, but not as trumped up as the PS1000 (one thing that bothered me with them). Without mutant pads, the sound staging was virtually identical and too close to call. 
redface.gif
  Overall, the "e" was worth it for me. Again, not night and day as these differences are not wide by any means.

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #3,032 of 6,729

First, the Bushmills are not closed, it just seems like they are, they are vented all around the inside perimeter of the cup.

Second, both my SR80i, and SR80e, and my Bushmills, are all sporting some new L-Cush, instead of their original comfies.

Third, you wrote SR80, I don't currently owned the SR80, but from what I can remember, the Bushmills would be a significant improvement. If however, you meant to write, SR80i, they would still be an an improvement, in all areas, just not as marked. And finally, if the SR80e, are the ones you had in mind, then the difference is a lot more subtle. I'd still give the Bushmills the nod, simply because it sounds a bit smoother.

As I've said before, I think that at $395, the Bushmills X have a very good price vs performance ratio. They come in a nice wooden crate, with a plexi glass front cover, plus they even throw in a nice carrying bag. Heck!, I even preferred them, to the RS1i.

But when it comes to price vs performance ratio, nothing beats the SR80e. I thought that the SR80i, but the SR80e sounds so good, it's not even funny.

However, keep in mind that the Bushmills X are a limited edition. I have heard that some Bushmills have already been sold for a profit, so who knows what they'll be worth in the future.

I have owned Grados for the last 9 years, and aside from the occasional quality control problems, you knew what you would get, when you ordered a pair.

These days however, it seams like ordering Grados, is anything but predictable. Especially the higher end models, Grado is shipping i, with e drivers, and although it's true that some people will see this as good thing, others may actually prefer the i's sound signature, what then?.

The earpads also created confusion between Head-Fi members, some were saying that there was no differences, others disagreed, and showed pictrues to back up their claim. In my opinion, both camps were right. I think that Grados simply had some of the old pads left over, and Grado being Grado, they simply shipped the first e's with what they had left of the old earpads. So, if you want to try the new earpads, it's going to cost you, and Grado earpads aren't cheap.

I'm all for improvement, but in some cases, it seems like their just throwing whatever parts they have lying around. I mean how can a pair of $1000 or so, GS1000e make it out of Grado with a 1/8'' connector?. I can't be the only one who thinks that this is unacceptable. I'd like to see how the Audeze fans would react if the company decided to ship a few LCD-2 with 1/8 terminals.

I always thought that Grado used the 1/8'' conectors on the ''portable'' models, and that the models that were more likely to be used in the home on full size rigs, got the 1/4''. I thought it made sense, but now...

As I have said before, I'm lucky enough to have a Grado dealer close to my home, so I don't run the risk of bringing home a pair on ''Frankenstein''. But for some, ordering online is their only option, and to those people, all I can say is good luck!. 

By now, it may seem like I hate Grado. I don't, not yet anyway, but if they don't get their act together, they may lose a loyal customer. I have always considered myself a Grado fan, but I'm certainly not a fanboy, wich means that I'm not going to kiss their arse, if what it needs is a kick. 

Grado is building ''Frankensteins'', that's what they're doing.

Some headphones have black headbands, others have tan, some have 1/8'' plug some have 1/4'', some have the old earpads, others have the new ones.

And don't get me started on the headphones that are idetified as ''i'', but have the ''e'' red drivers, so, if you bought them because you prefer the sound of the ''i'', you're screwed!.

I can just imagine how confusing it's going to be, when these Frankeisteins start hitting the used market.

I'm lucky enough to have a Grado dealer close to my home, so I can check the headphones out before I pay for them. and anyway, my dealer asssured me, that they haven't had any problems so far. But the poor guy who buys online, he can't know for sure, exactly what he's going to get.

I suspect that Grado sends the Frankeinsteins to the online dealers. To quote a phrase made famous by Dustin Hoffman in, Rain Man, ''Grados are like a box of chocolate, you never know what you're going to get''

Frankensteined 'phones, yay! 
frown.gif

First of all, the previous generation has already have a very clear sound, but what I describe is that kind of slight softness , cloudiness that is removed in e series. It is just a comparison in regard to e series, not to say that previous generation has haze or veil sound
smile.gif

So more transparency?  They actually lowered THD this time?  Hahaha!

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #3,033 of 6,729

I wouldn't say "more treble extension on the PS1000"...instead, I would say the PS1000e has more natural treble. Certainly not pushed back like say the PS500, but not as trumped up as the PS1000 (one thing that bothered me with them). Without mutant pads, the sound staging was virtually identical and too close to call. 
redface.gif
  Overall, the "e" was worth it for me. Again, not night and day as these differences are not wide by any means.

Maybe, ''more treble extension'' isn't the right choice of words, but I do think that the old PS1000 have a more lively sound signature.

And I agree that these differences are not night and day.

I'm not sure what you mean by ''mutant pads''. There's the old, and the new ones. It's easy to tell them apart, the new ones have a bigger hole, to accomodate the bigger driver. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #3,034 of 6,729

Maybe, ''more treble extension'' isn't the right choice of words, but I do think that the old PS1000 have a more lively sound signature.

And I agree that these differences are not night and day.

I'm not sure what you mean by ''mutant pads''. There's the old, and the new ones. It's easy to tell them apart, the new ones have a bigger hole, to accomodate the bigger driver. 

The term mutant was in reference to the pads you had on the PS1000e. Myself and all other PS1000e owners have confirmed that they are identical to the originals. But then there's Grado's world famous Quality Management System. 
tongue.gif

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #3,035 of 6,729
Listening to this with PS500 is like listening to anything while covering one's ears with a pillow.

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #3,036 of 6,729
I received my MS2e today. To my disappointment the headphone is not terminated with 1/4" plug as stated on Alessandro webpage. It comes with 1/8" plug as with other e series on-ear headphones.

Initial impression through my 5751 / 832a transformer output amp:
The MS2e, as one would expect, sounds very similar to my SR325e. I don't find there is any FR difference (e.g. treble or bass roll off, recess mid, etc) between the SR325e and the MS2e, the difference I can hear is the different dampening of the driver diaphragms. The MS2e sounds more dampened, sounding "faster" and "slower" than the SE325e at the same time. That is, the MS2e sounds like its diaphragm will respond to signal a bit slower, but will then settle faster. For example, kick drum on MS2e will sound with less of "attack" feeling, and guitar string pluck will settle faster.

Vocal is a bit smoother with the MS2e (brand new MS2e vs well burnt in SR325e). Sound stage (especially depth) and imaging is a little bit better with the MS2e, no sure if it is caused by the new/unworn L-cushion.

Overall the MS2e sounds "cleaner", especially with complex music message where many instruments are playing together. The SR325e sounds with more "emotion", especially with guitar and drums, as if you are on stage with the musicians  where you can feel the additional attacks and nuisance.

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #3,038 of 6,729
Which bring us to the important question: is it reasonable to own both?

I will be keeping the SR325e in the office, paired with my tube amp for low volume listening. My MS2e will be used at home with my main SS setup. I think the MS2e is as good as my modified HE-500 from 150Hz upwards. It will be my main headphone during summer time when I want on ear comfort.

MS2e will be a better all purpose headphone. SR325e will be a good addition to existing headphone inventory if one already owned something like a HD650 or LCD2.

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #3,039 of 6,729
  I received my MS2e today. To my disappointment the headphone is not terminated with 1/4" plug as stated on Alessandro webpage. It comes with 1/8" plug as with other e series on-ear headphones.

The MS2e, as one would expect, sounds very similar to my SR325e. I don't find there is any FR difference (e.g. treble or bass roll off, recess mid, etc) between the SR325e and the MS2e, the difference I can hear is the different dampening of the driver diaphragms. The MS2e sounds more dampened, sounding "faster" and "slower" than the SE325e at the same time. That is, the MS2e sounds like its diaphragm will respond to signal a bit slower, but will then settle faster. For example, kick drum on MS2e will sound with less of "attack" feeling, and guitar string pluck will settle faster.

Vocal is a bit smoother with the MS2e (brand new MS2e vs well burnt in SR325e). Sound stage (especially depth) and imaging is a little bit better with the MS2e, no sure if it is caused by the new/unworn L-cushion.

Overall the MS2e sounds "cleaner", especially with complex music message where many instruments are playing together. The SR325e sounds with more "emotion", especially with guitar and drums, as if you are on stage with the musicians  where you can feel the additional attacks and nuisance.

Congrats on the new Headphones but what is that AMP in the background...that is awesome and a half!! You could power a small city with that.

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #3,041 of 6,729

Congratulations! The MS2i sound fantastic, I would love to audition a pair of MS2e's at some point to see, well I guess hear, the difference :) Throw on some G-Cush and report back :)

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #3,042 of 6,729

The term mutant was in reference to the pads you had on the PS1000e. Myself and all other PS1000e owners have confirmed that they are identical to the originals. But then there's Grado's world famous Quality Management System. 
tongue.gif

I have no doubt that your PS1000e have the same earpads as the old ones. Like I've said before, Grado probably shipped the first PS1000e, with what they had left of the old earpads.

Two days ago, I was at my dealer's, with my own pair, and I asked the salesman if he could see a difference, and he said ''the hole is bigger on these'' pointing at the PS1000e.

And what about the thread where someone posted pics, showing the difference between the old and the new L-cush.

I don't understand why this seems so hard for you to believe, I mean, we're not talking about UFO sightings here.

And let's be honest, for the last few months, Grado has shipped more than a few Frankensteins, so, this is just one more inconsistency, among many others.

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #3,043 of 6,729
I have no doubt that your PS1000e have the same earpads as the old ones. Like I've said before, Grado probably shipped the first PS1000e, with what they had left of old earpads.

Two days ago, I was at my dealer's, with my own pair, and I asked the salesman if he could see a difference, and he said ''the hole is bigger on these'' pointing at the PS1000e.

And what about the thread where someone posted pics, showing the difference between the old and the new L-cush.

I don't understand why this seems so hard for you to believe, I mean, we're not talking about UFO sightings here.

And let's be honest, for the last few months, Grado has shipped more than a few Frankensteins, so, this is just one more inconsistency, among many others.

Most likely my standard as what constitutes as evidence (I am an engineer FWIW) is different than yours? As I mentioned, I just recently got a back up pair of ear pads (just received from Grado and they were identical). Plus several posters over the past few months have also chimed in that they were the same too. But as I also mentioned, Grado is a moving target too.

So which is it? I haven't the faintest clue. I'll shoot them an email in the morning to see if they can confirm?

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #3,044 of 6,729
Most likely my standard as what constitutes as evidence (I am an engineer FWIW) is different than yours? As I mentioned, I just recently got a back up pair of ear pads (just received from Grado and they were identical). Plus several posters over the past few months have also chimed in that they were the same too. But as I also mentioned, Grado is a moving target too.

So which is it? I haven't the faintest clue. I'll shoot them an email in the morning to see if they can confirm?

From my understanding the L-cush has changed from previous i series to the new e series.
The real question is ...is it obvious well no but if you look closely it is.

On the other hand the G-cush (is this used on the ps1000?) I have no real idea if that has also changed to some degree. Given they are quite large I see no reason for the pads to change but on the rs1e with the protruding plastic diaphragm then the L-cush needs the slight revision but even then it's a lost cause.
/me shakes the head like Frankenstein
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #3,045 of 6,729

I am a longshoreman, (heavy machinery operator), if that makes any difference
tongue.gif

Like I said, I believe you, I also have a backup pair, and they have the small hole too.

Next time I go to my dealer's, I'll bring mine, and I'll take a pictrue, that way, we'll have our answer.

From my understanding the L-cush has changed from previous i series to the new e series.
The real question is ...is it obvious well no but if you look closely it is.

On the other hand the G-cush (is this used on the ps1000?) I have no real idea if that has also changed to some degree. Given they are quite large I see no reason for the pads to change but on the rs1e with the protruding plastic diaphragm then the L-cush needs the slight revision but even then it's a lost cause.
/me shakes the head like Frankenstein
evil_smiley.gif

I can't remember who it was, but someone had posted some pics, of both L-cuch.

You pretty much have to be able compare them side by side though. 

A larger hole, for a larger driver, makes sense to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back