Grado e Series
Jan 19, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #3,061 of 6,729
Do the Grado RS1e with L-Cushion (Bowls) sound like RS1i with TTVJ Flats or like RS1i with Reversed Bowls?  
Anyone try the Grado RS1e with TTVJ Flats?  

Looking for the sound of RS1i with Flats but with warmer, fuller and thicker mids.

The RS1e sound like a pair of speakers with a blown tweeter....no joke.

I bought the PS500e instead.

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #3,063 of 6,729
The RS1e sound like a pair of speakers with a blown tweeter....no joke.

I bought the PS500e instead.

Just when I was done with Grado.  This RS1e comes out.  Kind of curious but majority here on head fi seems to dislike RS1e.
But few have said that Grado has revised the RS1e (tan headband).  Less protruding. 
Really want to hear it, especially with Flats but with the protrusion, don't know if they would work anymore. 

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #3,064 of 6,729
  Come to think of it…thats a good description of what my 325is's sounded like when I sent them to Grado to be fixed. 

Yeah I thought that the first pair of RS1e were broken so I went to another store to try another pair but same results unfortunately.

It saddens me to say that but the RS1e are boring and lifeless.

But thank god, the sound quality of my new PS500e is really out of this world.  Imagine the clarity of the HD800 mixed with the tonality of the Stax 007 MK2 and the musicality of the old revisions of the RS1 and you get the PS500e.

I will go as far as saying that the PS500e are the best Grado headphones that I have ever heard.  (And I have owned all the revisions of the RS1 apart from the new RS1e.)

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #3,065 of 6,729

Just when I was done with Grado.  This RS1e comes out.  Kind of curious but majority here on head fi seems to dislike RS1e.
But few have said that Grado has revised the RS1e.  Less protruding. 
Really want to hear it, especially with Flats but with the protrusion, don't know if they would work anymore. 

Go with the PS500e instead, you won't regret it...trust me
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #3,067 of 6,729
Anyone compare the RS1e with Grado Magnum 4 or Turbulent X drivers?
The Grado Magmuns had less treble and shoutiness but the midrange was too thin. 

In some way, the "boring and lifeless" description draws me because I want the forward mids without the treble energy.
Like an open version of B&W P5.  But I guess I'll never know until I hear it.  Need to get to Can Jam.

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #3,068 of 6,729

That's what I've been reading too. I had the HF-2 and didn't like it.  I guess the "e" version fixes the congestedness. 

I sold my pair of the HF-2 a while ago because they were too dark for my tastes but I can tell you that the PS500e are MUCH better than the HF-2.

The treble is well extended but not harsh at all.

I was hesitant to buy them because I thought that they were going to sound like the HF-2 but it's not the case at all.

To my ears they sound like a more refined version of the RS1i.  (I'm driving them with the Schiit Lyr and my DAC is the Emotiva DC-1)

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #3,069 of 6,729

I sold my pair of the HF-2 a while ago because they were too dark for my tastes but I can tell you that the PS500e are MUCH better than the HF-2.

I was hesitant to buy them because I thought that they were going to sound like the HF-2 but it's not the case at all.

To my ears they sound like a more refined version of the RS1i.  (I'm driving them with the Schiit Lyr and my DAC is the Emotiva DC-1)

Thanks. Grado has been such a love and hate thing since the Vintage A pair of RS1. I want to believe again. 
redface.gif

Will have to be patient until Tax Returns. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #3,070 of 6,729

Have tried Flats on them.  I so used to Flats with Grado's. 

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #3,072 of 6,729

Hi, I don't have your and pfillion's experience with Grados, but my results mirror his. I have a Lyr 2, Über Bifrost, Wyrd, iFi iDSD Nano, and HE560's, Alpha Dogs and PSB M4U1's. The 500e is a fantastic headphone, clarity, tone, imaging, soundstage (especially with the G Pads). Cliché, yes, but I am hearing things I never heard in my music collection. You can't go wrong with the PS500e's.

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #3,074 of 6,729
  So which Grado, 500e or RS1e has the most warm, full, and thick mids? 

I would say that the mids of the RS1e are maybe slightly more thick but like I said, the treble is almost non-existant on the RS1e.  (Imagine with the flat pads...)

I can tell you that the mids of the PS500e are warm, full and juicy like all the RS1 that I have owned in the past.

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #3,075 of 6,729
Ohh..tempting words.  thanks. 
bigsmile_face.gif

I would say that the mids of the RS1e are maybe slightly more thick but like I said, the treble is almost non-existant on the RS1e.  (Imagine with the flat pads...)

I can tell you that the mids of the PS500e are warm, full and juicy like all the RS1 that I have owned in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back