Grado e Series
Jan 15, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #3,046 of 6,729

From my understanding the L-cush has changed from previous i series to the new e series.
The real question is ...is it obvious well no but if you look closely it is.

On the other hand the G-cush (is this used on the ps1000?) I have no real idea if that has also changed to some degree. Given they are quite large I see no reason for the pads to change but on the rs1e with the protruding plastic diaphragm then the L-cush needs the slight revision but even then it's a lost cause.
/me shakes the head like Frankenstein
evil_smiley.gif

What are the differences between the two?

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #3,047 of 6,729
  I am a longshoreman, (heavy machinery operator), if that makes any difference
tongue.gif

Like I said, I believe you, I also have a backup pair, and they have the small hole too.

Next time I go to my dealer's, I'll bring mine, and I'll take a pictrue, that way, we'll have our answer.

I can't remember who it was, but someone had posted some pics, of both L-cuch.

You pretty much have to be able compare them side by side though. 

A larger hole, for a larger driver, makes sense to me.

That was me.

I had just received brand new RS1e's from Crutchfield, a very reputable dealer.

I compared the cushions on them with those on my (relatively new) RS1i's.

What I found, IIRC, was that the two cushions - when off the headphones -
were identical.  Holding the two, measuring, examining - they were the same
as far as I could reasonably tell.

But - when placed on their headphones, the larger driver of the 1e
stretched the cushion so that it became "flatter" and more "dense" (or
harder = less "cushiony") as compared with the same cushion on the 1i's. 

This caused the 1e's' drivers to become closer
to the ears, since there was effectively less cushioning being provided.

Hope this clarifies things a bit

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #3,048 of 6,729

Congratulations! The MS2i sound fantastic, I would love to audition a pair of MS2e's at some point to see, well I guess hear, the difference :) Throw on some G-Cush and report back :)

Link to the discussion of the amp:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/671419/civilian-6n2-fu32-tube-headphone-amp

Two of those transformers are for signal output.

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #3,049 of 6,729

What are the differences between the two?

That was me.

I had just received brand new RS1e's from Crutchfield, a very reputable dealer.

I compared the cushions on them with those on my (relatively new) RS1i's.

What I found, IIRC, was that the two cushions - when off the headphones -
were identical.  Holding the two, measuring, examining - they were the same
as far as I could reasonably tell.

But - when placed on their headphones, the larger driver of the 1e
stretched the cushion so that it became "flatter" and more "dense" (or
harder = less "cushiony") as compared with the same cushion on the 1i's. 

This caused the 1e's' drivers to become closer
to the ears, since there was effectively less cushioning being provided.

Hope this clarifies things a bit

Indeed it was your post here
But you have now clarified the difference stating when off the driver they are identical whilst in your original post you had stated, "Certainly, though, the two are not identical"
blink.gif

I always thought it was on the outer circumference to the first inner circumference where the difference was but your new post says the change is due the driver of the rs1e. This now makes sense as it seems to be pushing so much that the foam is altering shape. Whether this is normal I cannot answer but kudos for the feedback :)

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #3,051 of 6,729
  I am a longshoreman, (heavy machinery operator), if that makes any difference
tongue.gif

Like I said, I believe you, I also have a backup pair, and they have the small hole too.

Next time I go to my dealer's, I'll bring mine, and I'll take a pictrue, that way, we'll have our answer.

I think that it very much can make a difference. As well, I work in manufacturing electronics where product variability and cause/effect aren't so black and white (especially with sample sizes of 1 or 2). Confidence for me means how statistically significant is it (confidence interval, sigma level, CpK, etc...). We engineers think a little differently from most (my wife says that all the time to me, but for some reason I don't think she means it as a compliment 
wink.gif
).

Just heard back from Grado. I asked them if there were any differences between the PS1000 and PS1000e earpads. They responded that they were the same. Therefore, there is likely some variability that might be going on, or the could be compressed during packaging that makes them take a slightly different shape when finally un-boxed.

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #3,052 of 6,729
Has anyone compared the rs1e to the rs1i? Someone who has or had both?

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #3,053 of 6,729
Has anyone compared the rs1e to the rs1i? Someone who has or had both?

There are impressions posted.  Use "Search This Thread" near the top of the page.

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #3,055 of 6,729
I am a longshoreman, (heavy machinery operator), if that makes any difference :p

Stacker45, why don't you try other dealers...just to be sure...don't bring your stacker45 as you might get furious...:)

Is there really a fake Grado?

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #3,056 of 6,729
Stacker45, why don't you try other dealers...just to be sure...don't bring your stacker45 as you might get furious...
smily_headphones1.gif

Is there really a fake Grado?

''Fake Grado'', what do you mean by that?, and why would I want to go to another dealer?

Anyway, tomorrow I have to bring my 2226B in for repair, (the left channel went dead), so I'm going to kill two birds with one stone, and bring my PS1000 earpads with me, so that I can take a pictrue of them, side by side, with the PS1000e's earpads. That way, we'll finally know, if I'm starting to lose my marbles. 

I think that it very much can make a difference. As well, I work in manufacturing electronics where product variability and cause/effect aren't so black and white (especially with sample sizes of 1 or 2). Confidence for me means how statistically significant is it (confidence interval, sigma level, CpK, etc...). We engineers think a little differently from most (my wife says that all the time to me, but for some reason I don't think she means it as a compliment 
wink.gif
).

Just heard back from Grado. I asked them if there were any differences between the PS1000 and PS1000e earpads. They responded that they were the same. Therefore, there is likely some variability that might be going on, or the could be compressed during packaging that makes them take a slightly different shape when finally un-boxed.

We longshoremans, just use common sense
wink.gif

I'm going to remove them from the headphones, to take the pictrues.

Oh!, and I agree with your wife
tongue.gif

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #3,058 of 6,729
  ''Fake Grado'', what do you mean by that?, and why would I want to go to another dealer?

Anyway, tomorrow I have to bring my 2226B in for repair, (the left channel went dead), so I'm going to kill two birds with one stone, and bring my PS1000 earpads with me, so that I can take a pictrue of them, side by side, with the PS1000e's earpads. That way, we'll finally know, if I'm starting to lose my marbles. 

We longshoremans, just use common sense
wink.gif

I'm going to remove them from the headphones, to take the pictrues.

Oh!, and I agree with your wife
tongue.gif

Common sense...often leads us astray....thankfully we have science to save us from ourselves. Many things seem simple and straight forward until you actually study them. 
wink.gif

Again, limited sample sizes of 1 isn't really gonna say anything; especially knowing the variability that naturally happens with Grado products. I have official word from Grado that they made no changes.

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #3,060 of 6,729
Do the Grado RS1e with L-Cushion (Bowls) sound like RS1i with TTVJ Flats or like RS1i with Reversed Bowls?  
Anyone try the Grado RS1e with TTVJ Flats?  

Looking for the sound of RS1i with Flats but with warmer, fuller and thicker mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back