Grado e Series
Jun 6, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #6,663 of 6,729
If I use Mogami 2534, is there anything I can do with the shielding when the cable will be ran unbalanced?

...like split the shielding after the Y, wrap them around each channel leg, and terminate them on the driver ground along with the dedicated ground wire?

Jun 7, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #6,664 of 6,729
I don't use the shielding as a ground, so cut it off above the y-split.

Headphone cables do not require shielding.

9947631_thumb.jpg

Nov 25, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #6,666 of 6,729
Hello Grado users, I've been reading that the HD 414 ear pads improve the comfort of Grado headphones. I'm thinking about purchasing the SR80e as an inexpensive introduction to both Grados and open back headphones, but I'm worried that they won't be comfortable because they are on-ear headphones. Do the 414 pads improve the comfort "somewhat", or do they actually make the headphones comfortable? Thank you so much.

Nov 25, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #6,668 of 6,729
Hello guys, i'm thinking of buyng Grado SR60e or SR80e, i don't have dedicated DAC or AMP (i'm going to use them with my phone or laptop) so are they suitable for use with phone or laptop?

What kind of phone?

The SR60e and SR80e are easy to drive. I had the SR80e (have since gifted them to a friend) and they sounded great straight out of my iPhone 6S Plus (although when using a case, I had to use an extender due to the plug being kind of thick).

I may have plugged them into my MacBook at some point, and I'm sure they were fine although I rarely use the headphone out, and laptop headphone outs can vary greatly, but if there was any headphone I'd feel would be probably fine on almost any laptop, it'd be the Grado's (or the Sennheiser Momentum or Urbanite series).

Nov 25, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #6,669 of 6,729
My phone is xiaomi redmi Note 4 with mediatek helio X20 Chipset. I have Sony MDR-10RC now and these have 40 ohms impedance and sound quite good straight from the phone. Of course the sonys sound even better when plugged to my laptop (due to better sound card i supose)

Nov 25, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #6,670 of 6,729
My phone is xiaomi redmi Note 4 with mediatek helio X20 Chipset. I have Sony MDR-10RC now and these have 40 ohms impedance and sound quite good straight from the phone. Of course the sonys sound even better when plugged to my laptop (due to better sound card i supose)

I am confident in that case that the SR60e or SR80e would sound great from your phone, assuming you end up liking the Grado house sound, of course. They are pretty easy to drive and don't scale up dramatically with better sources, at least to my ears.

Nov 25, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #6,672 of 6,729
Can anybody who know share please, how does the RS2e compares in sound with RS1e? I've been planning to get a portable open-back headphone recently. The RS2e especially provides a good option, since there is a local seller here offering a good price. Other portable open-back recommendation is also welcome. Maximum budget is at around RS1e price. And my preference lies somewhere in the neutral, to neutral-bright signature.

Thank you! :)

Also, is the MS2e good? As in a similar level with the RS1 / 2e series? Which has less bass?

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #6,673 of 6,729
Hello Grado users, I've been reading that the HD 414 ear pads improve the comfort of Grado headphones. I'm thinking about purchasing the SR80e as an inexpensive introduction to both Grados and open back headphones, but I'm worried that they won't be comfortable because they are on-ear headphones. Do the 414 pads improve the comfort "somewhat", or do they actually make the headphones comfortable? Thank you so much.
I prefer the 414 pads to the S-cushions. However they aren't a significant jump in comfort, they will still feel like on-ear headphones. I think shaping the metal band to get the right "tension" does help with comfort.

Nov 25, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #6,674 of 6,729
Can anybody who know share please, how does the RS2e compares in sound with RS1e? I've been planning to get a portable open-back headphone recently. The RS2e especially provides a good option, since there is a local seller here offering a good price. Other portable open-back recommendation is also welcome. Maximum budget is at around RS1e price. And my preference lies somewhere in the neutral, to neutral-bright signature.

Here is what I found in comparison (higher numbers are better):

9091518.png

Here is where the entire review is posted.

Hope this helps!

Nov 25, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #6,675 of 6,729
What kind of phone?

The SR60e and SR80e are easy to drive. I had the SR80e (have since gifted them to a friend) and they sounded great straight out of my iPhone 6S Plus (although when using a case, I had to use an extender due to the plug being kind of thick).

I may have plugged them into my MacBook at some point, and I'm sure they were fine although I rarely use the headphone out, and laptop headphone outs can vary greatly, but if there was any headphone I'd feel would be probably fine on almost any laptop, it'd be the Grado's (or the Sennheiser Momentum or Urbanite series).
I second this, the SR60's and SR80's are easy to drive. They run fine out of my iPhone and my MacBook Pro's headphone jack. That said; I run them out of a fiio e10 on my MacBook, solely for the reason that it doesn't clutter the headphone jack on the right side; where my mouse is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back