Grado e Series
Nov 25, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #6,676 of 6,729
I prefer the 414 pads to the S-cushions. However they aren't a significant jump in comfort, they will still feel like on-ear headphones.
Thank you for your response. I probably won't buy the SR80e then.

Nov 26, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #6,677 of 6,729
Here is what I found in comparison (higher numbers are better):

9091518.png

Here is where the entire review is posted.

Hope this helps!
Thanks, I just ordered a pair of used RS2e today. What do you think of its timbre accuracy, especially when playing with piano, vocals, or acoustic instruments? Couldn't afford the GS1000 at the moment. Unfortunately, or not, no one here is selling the 'i' version, only the 'e'. I wonder how significant they differ in sound?

Nov 26, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #6,678 of 6,729
Nevermind, just received my RS2e. :) Smooth, smooth treble. The soundstage is pretty spacious. But the highlight is its transparency, and separation. The mid-bass bump felt voluminous, and it never interferes with the mids. It provides a good supporting beat for the whole music. Timbre is accurate, and sounds very natural. Vocals sound full, and clear. It is quite lean, but without missing that fundamental note deep from within the chest. That warm airy breath. Lovely sound! Thanks @ruthieandjohn for your impressions. For helping me choose the RS2e. :thumbsup:

Nov 27, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #6,679 of 6,729
Hey guys it's me again. I wanna ask one more question about Grado SR60e and SR80e...... since i listen to a lot of old school RAP i wanna know this: Are they suitable for this type of music? I really want these to be my first open-back headphones but i dont know if they will be enjoyable enough with my favourite genre of music. Man i'm confised right now.

Sorry for my bad English. As you can tell is not my native language.

Nov 28, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #6,680 of 6,729
Hey guys it's me again. I wanna ask one more question about Grado SR60e and SR80e...... since i listen to a lot of old school RAP i wanna know this: Are they suitable for this type of music? I really want these to be my first open-back headphones but i dont know if they will be enjoyable enough with my favourite genre of music. Man i'm confised right now.

depends if you want more bass or natural controlled bass..if its the later then grado sr80e should be good choice.
otherwise you can get better headphone

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #6,681 of 6,729
I recently purchased a GS1000e with a brown headband. It has protruding/non-flush drivers.

Did Grado ultimately change to flush mount for the GS1000e?

If so, will the factory retrofit the drivers for a fee?

Is there any particular advantage or disadvantage to the protruding driver?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #6,682 of 6,729
I recently purchased a GS1000e with a brown headband. It has protruding/non-flush drivers.

Did Grado ultimately change to flush mount for the GS1000e?

If so, will the factory retrofit the drivers for a fee?

Is there any particular advantage or disadvantage to the protruding driver?

Thanks for your thoughts.
How far are the drivers protruding out? Since it's the higher tier headphones you wouldn't want to be seeing something like that for the money you spent?

Maybe put up a pic mate.

Jan 30, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #6,683 of 6,729
It's supposed to be like that on the e series RS-1e and GS1000e.

Jan 30, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #6,684 of 6,729
It's supposed to be like that on the e series RS-1e and GS1000e.

thanks, I know that they were both originally like that (the PS1000e as well I think), but I read that Grado eventually re-released the RS1e with a) the brown leather headband and b) a flush or nearly flush-mounted driver.

Just wondered if they also re-visited the GS1000e.

Jan 30, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #6,685 of 6,729
Here is what I found in comparison (higher numbers are better):

9091518.png

Here is where the entire review is posted.

Hope this helps!

I think these charts of yours would be better with a larger rating scale for each headphone, instead of a 1, 2, 3 rank. The rank doesn't tell HOW much better one is. The difference between your 2, and 3 could be slight, or rather large, or huge.

I'm not being critical mind you. These obviously took a lot of time and effort and are appreciated. This is just a suggestion for you to consider.

You might also consider ranking how much of the bass is missing, because almost all Grados are more and more inaccurate the lower the frequency is. I've started enjoying Grado again since buying this:

https://www.jdslabs.com/products/185/3-band-equalizer-diy-kit/

It's really clean, effective, and fairly priced. I wish it matched my Schiit stack, but you can't always have everything (at the price you are willing to pay)....

Kindest Regards!

Feb 8, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #6,688 of 6,729

Absolutely not suitable for rap music.

Feb 8, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #6,689 of 6,729
I own two pairs of Grado headphones. RS2e and SR325is. No problem with the cables other than their weight. I simply attached a small clothes clip them to my shirt and problem solved.

Are the RS2e much better than 325is as their price suggest?

Feb 8, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #6,690 of 6,729
Are the RS2e much better than 325is as their price suggest?
Short answer, yes.
The RS2e are much smoother and simply much clearer than the SR325is. The 325is lack bass. Headphones without bass are useless. I find the 325is too harsh to listen through! Funny, I've tried the SR325e and found them much improved? The 2e just are way more accurate and enjoyable. They're much lighter and look much better.
It took me a year to except the price jump, however I have no regrets. They are my reference cans of seven..that includes a pair of vintage Stay. But wait, when purchasing the RS2e I also listen to their limited run GH-1. They took the RS2e and tweaked the low bass and it was delightful! I just couldn't in all honesty see another price jump for a another octave of punchy bass?
I went back and force and I am happy with my choice. I hope that helps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back