Grado e Series
Apr 6, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #6,647 of 6,729
i had a super nice cord. not replacing it. cat just ate it! anyone recommend a nice cord installer for say less than $700 balanced? i also prefer someone that does not have more than 90 days lead way. thanks

Apr 6, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #6,648 of 6,729
i had a super nice cord. not replacing it. cat just ate it! anyone recommend a nice cord installer for say less than $700 balanced? i also prefer someone that does not have more than 90 days lead way. thanks

I think Moon Audio does balanced cord installations on Grados for well less than $700.

Apr 7, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #6,650 of 6,729
checked it out. thanks. which cable would you get for ps1k non e? just because gold is the most does not mean it wlil sound the best?

Sorry, not qualified to advise on the various flavors of cables. People report a difference between silver vs. copper, and lotsa thin strands vs. fewer thicker strands, and whether each strand is insulated, etc.

I only encountered the balanced cable for Grados on my way to purchasing Moon Audio cables for my Chord Hugo. In my case, the cables are for digital data from source to Hugo DAC...the Chord Hugo has the most tiny opening around their jacks, and the Moon cables are designed to accommodate this peculiarity of the Hugo. I'm delighted with them (yes, despite my strong belief that physics does not support any difference between expensive digital cables and any reasonable cheap one! The Moon ones do sound bettter). However, cable construction should have a greater effect on the analog signal going to a balanced Grado headphone.

Apr 7, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #6,651 of 6,729
see i always say this. i was an engineer. physics tells me any cable that completes a circuit is the same. reality tells me cables sound vastly different. i cannot explain it. i cannot measure it. i can most certainly hear it. so much so i have honestly won dbt's. when i was younger i mean. i had golden ears. now i am an old man whos health is filing so i make no sonic claims about anything. except perhaps casually.

given that, i am thinking i will like copper better on them.

upstairs right now i am running dave with odin 2 cables. for loudspeakers though.

Apr 7, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #6,652 of 6,729
see i always say this. i was an engineer. physics tells me any cable that completes a circuit is the same. reality tells me cables sound vastly different. i cannot explain it. i cannot measure it. i can most certainly hear it. so much so i have honestly won dbt's. when i was younger i mean. i had golden ears. now i am an old man whos health is filing so i make no sonic claims about anything. except perhaps casually.

given that, i am thinking i will like copper better on them.

upstairs right now i am running dave with odin 2 cables. for loudspeakers though.

I can assure you cables make a difference. Maybe not discernible from one high quality cable to another, but the sonic differences between a crappy cable and a good cable are night and day. In fact, I just posted about this yesterday. I bought the Meze 99 portable cable as a backup cable for my Denon 7200's. And I was blown away by how awful that cable made my headphones sound. It recessed the mids, added treble peaks to songs where I've never heard them before, and made the bass mushy and more pronounced. I simply can't use it.
When I use the stock cable, I hear none of those issues. When I use the Beyerdynamic Audiophile cable, I hear none of those issues.

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #6,653 of 6,729
what i was saying....is i completely agree with you! same as vibration control on ss components. can't measure it, can't explain it, but you certainly can hear it! the stock cable on the ps1k(e) is amongst the best stock cab\es imo. no doubt the moon is better. unfortunately probably not as good as what just got eaten but i had that on hand. there is no way i would actually purchase a $25k cable for them lol. i think i am going to go with copper though. i like the warm sound. a trick i do in some systems is use high end copper speaker cable terminated with high end silver spades or bananas. that often makes a nice balanced sound. not always, depends on the equipment. or i might do it the other way around. sometimes all copper or all silver is better. it all depends. this proves it makes a difference. i am not like other science based guys. i believe there are forces at work in the world that we can not explain, nor measure but they are for real. i probably draw the line at shakti stones lol.

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #6,654 of 6,729
i had wired them with that crystal cable. i have become much more sick since then and would be unable to do it. i have a rookie tech i am training and i could use my brain to guide his hands(tell him what to do lol). then i have some crazy high end cables to choose from. instead of send them off. one thing, it will be done in an hour not a few months and it will not cost me anyhting to have even better cable. i am confident this guy can do it with supervision. of course get the iron to hot on the pcb etc. that is the end. more tricky really is separating the wood from the metal without trashing it. i am pretty sure with help/advice he can handle it. so i guess i will just do that tomorrow. plus it is learning for him.  i do not mean to get on a soap box but it is very frustrating not to be able to do the things i regularly used to do. on the other hand i am very lucky that i am not nearly as sick as i should be by now. i hope to report that we did this tomorrow without disaster :)

Jun 4, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #6,655 of 6,729
So after a few years of use, my e series cables have frayed and broke twice. The upper part after the Y split is totally stiff. Completely junk wires Grado uses... will rewire very soon. Maybe vent mod them since I'll have them opened.

Jun 5, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #6,656 of 6,729
my cable was enjoyed by my cat. i am going to put cardas bulk wire. since it is not high end cable does it matter if i splice it outside the cup? is 2" of grado wire going to matter? getting the cups apart is difficult. i can splice it outside the cups with a small bit of shrink tubing. then continue the cable. or do i really need to open it? in that case i will use better than cardas.

Jun 5, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #6,657 of 6,729
So after a few years of use, my e series cables have frayed and broke twice. The upper part after the Y split is totally stiff. Completely junk wires Grado uses... will rewire very soon. Maybe vent mod them since I'll have them opened.

The E series already has some holes in the back of the driver, so up to you if you want more bass (I found them fine as they are)

my cable was enjoyed by my cat. i am going to put cardas bulk wire. since it is not high end cable does it matter if i splice it outside the cup? is 2" of grado wire going to matter? getting the cups apart is difficult. i can splice it outside the cups with a small bit of shrink tubing. then continue the cable. or do i really need to open it? in that case i will use better than cardas.

I always suggest opening them up, what model do you have?

Jun 5, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #6,658 of 6,729
The E series already has some holes in the back of the driver, so up to you if you want more bass (I found them fine as they are)
?

Excellent point. I never really found the bass to lacking, tbh. But the highs are a bit harsh. So I was thinking of putting in some insulation on the grill and maybe dampen the back of the driver with dynamat or something like that. It's been over a year since I looked at mods for Grados, so I need to refresh my knowledge a bit.

I'd rather open them up and correctly replace the cables. I repaired the original wires by soldering them (duh), but they just frayed/ shorted in a different spot. As for the type of cables, no sense in getting expensive ones for a $90 pair of headphones. My HD600s sounded just find with the OEM cables. I'll just get decent quality copper. What's a good gauge?

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #6,659 of 6,729
Excellent point. I never really found the bass to lacking, tbh. But the highs are a bit harsh. So I was thinking of putting in some insulation on the grill and maybe dampen the back of the driver with dynamat or something like that. It's been over a year since I looked at mods for Grados, so I need to refresh my knowledge a bit.

I'd rather open them up and correctly replace the cables. I repaired the original wires by soldering them (duh), but they just frayed/ shorted in a different spot. As for the type of cables, no sense in getting expensive ones for a $90 pair of headphones. My HD600s sounded just find with the OEM cables. I'll just get decent quality copper. What's a good gauge?
The bass in my RS1i is really good. I´m enjoing it righ now. Mmm

Jun 6, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #6,660 of 6,729

Something like mogami mini starquad is good cable for these. I think it's around 24/26awg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back