Grado BASSHEAD Mod....
Dec 8, 2005 at 6:40 AM Post #106 of 290
On a serious note, this mod is pretty good. These pads are an equally interesting change on the bowls. I know I am alone in this, but I have always felt the bowls were comfortable...though I agreed with everyone that they are harsh. I liked the HD414 pads (reversed), and love the Todd Flats. The electrical tape does bring out the bass with the bowls...but still leaves the open upper end.

Gotta admit though, listening to my SR-80's through the 'taped bowls', seems very harsh compared to my HF-1's with Flats.
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 7:56 AM Post #108 of 290
Ive got some fairly airy tape (some kind of medical strip tape) over mine and there has been slight bass increase (5-10% ?) so Im gonna go get some electrical tape and try that out.

Dec 8, 2005 at 8:00 AM Post #109 of 290
Just did this to my 40hr-old 80s. Different sound not just added bass: I think the highs are similar, mids less recessed, and bass more pronounced yet a little muddy. This mod also benefits all ranges by adding a little cohesion but changes overall sound quality(maybe makes them a bit warmer?). Trade off between sound cohesion + added bass vs. signature and cleaner grado sound.

Also, maybe a stupid question but, are the drivers ok with the added back pressure?

Dec 8, 2005 at 11:57 AM Post #110 of 290
Maybe taping the ears (which are also bowls) in addition might have even better effect?
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #117 of 290
I've taped my left speaker contour , then completely ( bass was almost destroying the windows of the dorm room )..
I was wrapping up as a mad the right one when Christo Javacheff entered warning me for copyright , damn

Dec 9, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #119 of 290
I use medical tapes (those with 100% cotton) on my 325i.

Cross testing with Ghost in the Shell: Innocence OST track #10.
Slightly increasing on the push before each drum sound.
And something like a flimsily hazy layer over the pre-existing extensive bass.

Not a bad mod.
tongue.gif

Dec 12, 2005 at 9:20 AM Post #120 of 290
Wow, this actually works! For some reason, I don't notice any difference when reversing the bowls on my 125s. Maybe it's because bowls sit around my ear circumaurally. But the tape mod is IT! The bass is still tight, although bordering on "slightly boomy".

This is my only pair of Grado cans. Can anyone do a comparison of 125 w/ taped bowls vs. the other grados? (ex. 225 w/ untaped bowls).

basshead.gif

-Nico

Users who are viewing this thread

Back