Grado BASSHEAD Mod....
Dec 6, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #46 of 290
Can anyone who has a pair of flats and some taped bowls make some quick comparisons?

Dec 6, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #47 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme
hmm i definatley noticed a HUGE increase in bass
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Try it with only one bowl and do a blind test. With your eyes close, physically flip the headphones around several times and listen in mono. Or, better yet, have someone else do it, and make sure you're not tangled up in the cord. Any stimuli that could indicate which side is which can invalidate the test. But then again, what has science ever given us?
rolleyes.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #50 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
Can anyone who has a pair of flats and some taped bowls make some quick comparisons?

Liked the results with bowls better, taped flats sounded kind of muffled to me.

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #51 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
Guys, this mod does NOT make THAT big of a difference. I've got one bowl taped up and the other one stock. I'm listening for channel imbalances in both songs and with various frequencies using a signal/tone generator. The bass response is barely improved. I tried with electrical tape, several layers, applied with moderate tightness and extreme tightness (compressed the pad towards the center a little).

I'm trying to think of a legitimate reasons as to why this should actually work, and uh, they escape me.

i think the theory behind it is that the grado's lose sound/bass through the foam so by sealing that less bass is lost and is directed towards your ear instead.

I'm not willing to put selotape around my new 225's but if anyone else can think of a more sturdy solution i'll give it a try (the cut pipe idea sounds quite good...)

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #52 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
Liked the results with bowls better, taped flats sounded kind of muffled to me.

LOL. I'm pretty sure, wakeride didn't mean taped flats vs. taped bowls, but flats without tape as object of comparison. Flats with tape would really be too much
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #53 of 290
Quote:

Guys, this mod does NOT make THAT big of a difference. I've got one bowl taped up and the other one stock. I'm listening for channel imbalances in both songs and with various frequencies using a signal/tone generator. The bass response is barely improved. I tried with electrical tape, several layers, applied with moderate tightness and extreme tightness (compressed the pad towards the center a little).

I'm trying to think of a legitimate reasons as to why this should actually work, and uh, they escape me.

i think the theory behind it is that the grado's lose sound/bass through the foam so by sealing that less bass is lost and is directed towards your ear instead.

I'm not willing to put selotape around my new 225's but if anyone else can think of a more sturdy solution i'll give it a try (the cut pipe idea sounds quite good...)

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #54 of 290
Quote:

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #55 of 290
Quote:

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #56 of 290
Quote:

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #58 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilDwarf
LOL. I'm pretty sure, wakeride didn't mean taped flats vs. taped bowls, but flats without tape as object of comparison. Flats with tape would really be too much
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Yes, taped bowls vs. regular flats
icon10.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #59 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakemoor

That's not a theory, that's conjecture.

Dec 6, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #60 of 290
Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back