Grado and Sennheiser factory view
Jul 13, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #61 of 143
A lot of people are complaining at the wrong place here. We got people saying "This is not good because blah blah blah" for people who do not like how Grado does it and wants to point out its flaw, I think the better way would be to get a lot of people and email them or rally in their assembly line. That should work better compared to criticizing them online. I am not trying to flame anyone. I am just saying that that would be a better way for you to do your "point out the flaw so they can provide a better product" Talking about them in an online forum, even as big as head-fi does little to fulfill that job.

So, if the picture bothers you so much, rally up people, and mass email them or try to organize a meeting with John Grado and talk to him about this. If you guys can't find the time to do this...well, you gotta wait for a while before these pictures change.

Again, I am not trying to flame anyone, I respect both sides' opinion. I am just proposing a more result oriented solution.

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #63 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lets get an opinion of someone who runs these companies you work for. Someone who's in charge of determining the cost/benefit decisions of corporations. I'm not convinced by any guessing done by someone who works for a major company. Fortune 500 companies hire how many blue collar workers?

Would you be more convinced if people judged the product not by the environment that it was built in, but by the actual product itself? Perhaps, spill over glue here and there. Chips and dents on the metal casing of headphones, perhaps. Such defects are very rarely present at any retail store. There aren't many ways mess up a headphone, and customers have loyally given Grado infinite leeway. Short of putting a sledge hammer to the product, idolizing customers will be happy.

Is it too much to ask for good workmanship?

I'm a bit confused by your answer. Your post I replied to posited that it would be more efficient and cost effective to use modern equipment to produce the product. I believe I refuted that quite effectively. Where is all the other stuff coming from? Should I have our controller give you a business economics lesson online? You won't believe from me that buying a million dollars of equipment to produce $100k worth of product/year would take a terribly long time to pay off if it didn't run the company into the ground?

Sorry, you posted without thinking it through, and I called you on it. Switching arguments won't help.

If you think Grado's products have poor workmanship, I suggest you tell them about it, not criticize their manufacturing facilities and equipment.

Oh, and I'm in a t-shirt 95% of the time at work, but I am most definitely in the "white collar" group. I just don't have to meet with folks outside the company often. Thanks for the attempted personal slam, though.

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #64 of 143
I honestly don't find many things wrong with grado pictures. First off these are headphones. So it doesn't require a sterile white room unlike things like medical supplies or certain foods, etc. So if the headphones are transfered to a different rooms in boxes together what is the problem? It also shows actual people doing their everyday work. Anyone that has worked for a corporate company knows that when it comes to showing off your business a high percentage of those companies put on a show. Major cleanings a are done, actual day to day work isn't usually shown, and people are always so damn happy do be doing their job.

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #66 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a bit confused by your answer. Your post I replied to posited that it would be more efficient and cost effective to use modern equipment to produce the product. I believe I refuted that quite effectively. Where is all the other stuff coming from? Should I have our controller give you a business economics lesson online? You won't believe from me that buying a million dollars of equipment to produce $100k worth of product/year would take a terribly long time to pay off if it didn't run the company into the ground?

Sorry, you posted without thinking it through, and I called you on it. Switching arguments won't help.

If you think Grado's products have poor workmanship, I suggest you tell them about it, not criticize their manufacturing facilities and equipment.

Oh, and I'm in a t-shirt 95% of the time at work, but I am most definitely in the "white collar" group. I just don't have to meet with folks outside the company often. Thanks for the attempted personal slam, though.

I read your argument, and it had no meaning to me. It was a series of generalizations with no indications that you have experience in cost/benefit analysis in a truly impactful way. Generalizations that even the common man knows. All I said was that modern equipment can be more efficient, and it's far fetched to think that it's possible to increase productivity, at least in the long term. That's a very open-ended statement.

The only question you need to answer is, do you have background in cost/benefit analysis, or troubleshooting and increasing productivity? I can argue any side of the coin - including arguing from your perspective - but that's not the point.

Making toilet seats isn't the same thing as making headphones. The major headphone companies are cranking out well polished products and are cranking them out in massive quantities to meet the demand of the entire planet.

This is drawn out enough. All I'm going to say now is that (in addition to Grado) I own products by Sennheiser, Shure, AKG, Etymotics, and some others. They all sound amazing, and none of them have workmanship problems.

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #67 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizzt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I honestly don't find many things wrong with grado pictures. First off these are headphones. So it doesn't require a sterile white room unlike things like medical supplies or certain foods, etc. So if the headphones are transfered to a different rooms in boxes together what is the problem? It also shows actual people doing their everyday work. Anyone that has worked for a corporate company knows that when it comes to showing off your business a high percentage of those companies put on a show. Major cleanings a are done, actual day to day work isn't usually shown, and people are always so damn happy do be doing their job.

If you were the person to receive her HF2 with chips and nicks in the metal, you would feel differently.

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #68 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by pkshan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
18589d1247430935-grado-sennheiser-factory-view-7.jpg

No wonder my RS1i comes with a couple of nicks.
frown.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #69 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kachui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No wonder my RS1i comes with a couple of nicks.
frown.gif

Nicks on wood give it character imo. My recent pair of brand new DX700's had some wood imperfections and i didnt get taken back one bit. It just like when u go into an antique shop and you see a nice table, look up close and u will see nicks/imperfections and more. I had a giggle at the Grado photo's at first but now they dont bother me one bit. Being honest and up front about how they work is a definite plus in my book. If you dont like the way they work or see how they produce there good's. Dont screwing buy them.

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #70 of 143
I opened the thread and looked at the first few pictures...

First thoughts were:

ROFL!!!

OMG!

So one opened a can of worms.

This will be fun!

Grado Factory vs. Sennheiser : you're kidding right; right?

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #72 of 143
Jul 13, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #73 of 143
Some of the comments and assumptions made in this thread are insulting. None of you know what Grado pay their staff, but you assume that they are underpaid , is this because of their colour?
All i know is that Grado makes great sounding headphones that are unique, i hope to god they dont 'upgrade' their manufacturing methods as it would probably result in a very different sounding product.
Sennheiser sell themselves as a small family business, almost all businesses were 'family' businesses at one point , i dont consider a company with 2000 employees a 'family' business anymore.
Dony get me wrong i dont think there is a black and white correct way to make headphones and Sennheiser make some fantastic products, all i am saying is that there is room for Grado in the market and as far as i can tell they are doing pretty well for a company with under 20 employees.

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #74 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nicks on wood give it character imo. My recent pair of brand new DX700's had some wood imperfections and i didnt get taken back one bit. It just like when u go into an antique shop and you see a nice table, look up close and u will see nicks/imperfections and more. I had a giggle at the Grado photo's at first but now they dont bother me one bit. Being honest and up front about how they work is a definite plus in my book. If you dont like the way they work or see how they produce there good's. Dont screwing buy them.

The nicks on mine look like they were made after the wood has been treated and the picture certainly shows how they may have come about. Anyway, rubbing some wood oil made the nicks much less visible, and the fact that I did not return them shows that I do like this can. So I am screwing keeping them nicks and all.

Jul 13, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #75 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kachui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The nicks on mine look like they were made after the wood has been treated and the picture certainly shows how they may have come about. Anyway, rubbing some wood oil made the nicks much less visible, and the fact that I did not return them shows that I do like this can. So I am screwing keeping them nicks and all.

Good
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back